Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many of the irish players would get in the England squad

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

CHD wrote: »
    It is but my point was it was a good performance.

Yes but his point is that it was against ten men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'm sorry but that is rubbish.

Duff would have been competing with Joe Cole as backup for Gerrard.

Gerrard missed the 2002 WC, and Duff would certainly have been as good as Kieron Dyer, Trevor Sinclair & Joe Cole at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Keane would not make a Capello squad in a billion years.

Given a dead cert, as would be Ireland. Possibly Dunne and O`Shea. Reid and Hunt possibly on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

Shay Given is the only Irish player that would make it into the England squad.The rest of the players would struggle to get into their under 21's.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

shane86 wrote: »

Given a dead cert, as would be Ireland. Possibly Dunne and O`Shea. Reid and Hunt possibly on the bench.

Absolutely no way Hunt would make it anywhere near the England squad. Compare him with the wingers they have already Wright-Phillips, Lennon, Young, Milner, Downing...they even have Gerrard playing on the left the odd time too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

eoin99 wrote: »
    Absolutely no way Hunt would make it anywhere near the England squad. Compare him with the wingers they have already Wright-Phillips, Lennon, Young, Milner, Downing...they even have Gerrard playing on the left the odd time too.

Meh. A steady year in the PL and Id say he would be 2nd or 3rd on your list (behind SWP and battling Lennon for a place)

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Shay Given. World class keeper. Then.....:eek: I dunno is our physio any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

You actually talked sense until mentioning Hunt. He'd never get into that squad, and if you can imagine him sitting on the bench for England at a World Cup then your high.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

How about starting a "how many Irish players would make the Northern Irish squad" thread? That would be a more realistic challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Shay Given.

Thats it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

CHD wrote: »
    Italy away not so long ago was a good performance. Short memory!

Italy away was crap.

They played 10 men for 88 minutes and took 40 minutes to get a shot on goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

but the likes of heskey, charlton cole, crouch (who keane is keeping out the spurs team) do and lets talk about defoe, sure defoe has started with a bang this season but have we forgotten that same defoe sat on the bench most of last season and sat on the bench for two years watching keane and berbatov and had to move away to get first team action, but still got picked for england ;)

robbie keane is hugely respected in england, when rafa didn't play him from time to time he got destroyed by the media (even when liverpool beat newcastle 5-1), despite the fact that it would have meant dropping torres, Capello (and other england managers in the past i might add) also has a hard-on for spurs players, how many in the current squad or would be in the current squad, how many spurs players have been picked under capello?? who is the spurs captain???

hunt lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

rossie1977 wrote: »
    but the likes of heskey, charlton cole, crouch (who keane is keeping out the spurs team) do and lets talk about defoe, sure defoe has started with a bang this season but have we forgotten that same defoe sat on the bench most of last season and sat on the bench for two years watching keane and berbatov and had to move away to get first team action, but still got picked for england ;)

robbie keane is hugely respected in england, when rafa didn't play him from time to time he got destroyed by the media, despite the fact that it would have meant dropping torres, Capello (and other england managers in the past i might add) also has a hard-on for spurs players, how many in the current squad or would be in the current squad, how many spurs players have been picked under capello?? who is the spurs captain???

hunt lol
    What has last season or the 2 years before got to do with this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The key word in the title is "Squad".

Given, Dunne, O'Shea, McGeady, Duff, Keane, Reid and Ireland.

Granted, Steven Reid isn't fit and Ireland won't play for us, but something tells me he would play for england. :p

Given would make the starting 11, no doubt. He is miles better than what they have in that department.

Dunne is a solid centre half. If Upson makes the squad, than there is no reason to think Dunne wouldn't.

O'Shea would get in on his name and club. Personally, I don't think he would be good enough but he would make the squad regardless of that.

McGeady and Duff. Both good wingers....and if England are willing to play guys like Downing and Wright-Philips.....I know who I'd rather have.

Keane would probably play if Rooney wasn't fit. Capello would pick him over Owen and Defoe simply because he offers more. If you give Defoe the ball, you aren't going to get it back. He is going to turn and shoot regardless of where he is. Sometimes, he might score, most of the time he wont. He isn't a team player. All's you had to do was look at Berbatov's face at Spurs when Defoe would come off the bench and replace Keane. He always looked annoyed because he knew he wasn't going to get anymore return balls....where as he had a good understanding with Keane. Capello is a footballing man, he's no chump. He knows this. Keane would have a much better partnership with Heskey or Cole than defoe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

defoe sat on the bench most of last season

I'm pretty sure he was injured almost as soon as he moved back to Spurs in January.

He's still far more likely to get a goal than Keane.

Keane stats: 490 appearances 182 goals

Defoe stats: 353 appearances 147 goals

Only Shay Given could get into the England team. I'd have said Stephen Ireland too but he's not been in the Ireland squad for quite a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Of Course Given would walk in - he's far better than anything England have atm.

Keane depending on Capello's whims

Duff no way - possibly in his heyday, but not on current form

aaronh007 wrote: »
    He's still far more likely to get a goal than Keane.

Keane stats: 490 appearances 182 goals

Defoe stats: 353 appearances 147 goals

lets compare their spurs and international records shall we ;)

defoe 150 league games, 50 league goals for spurs, goal every 3 league games
    keane 215 league games, 86 league goals for spurs, goal every 2.5 league games

keane 40 goals in 92 games, goal every 2.3 games
    defoe 11 goals in 36 games, goal every 3.27 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Sadly only 2 Given and Ireland ,

Maybe a case can be made for O Shea in the squad (useful type to have around any squad )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

lets compare their spurs and international records shall we ;)

defoe 150 league games, 50 league goals for spurs, goal every 3 league games
    keane 215 league games, 86 league goals for spurs, goal every 2.5 league games

keane 40 goals in 92 games, goal every 2.3 games
    defoe 11 goals in 36 games, goal every 3.27 games

Personally I'd prefer Keane's records there, given that his league record was over a significantly larger sample size, and his international record was the same, with a much weaker side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Given

And I'm sure Ireland would play for them, if even only on the bench

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Robbie Keane is better than all the English strikers except Rooney. He probably wouldn't get into the first 11 because I don't think him and Rooney would work together, but in any fantasy XIs where those kind of things aren't really taken into account by anyone other than nerds, I think most would have him and Rooney up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Given, Keane and Mcgeady. Given and Keane for reasons already stated. Mcgeady because they are trying out the likes of Milner on the left and Mcgeady is no worse than those guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

defoe sat on the bench alot at spurs last season too while keane was on the pitch ;)

No he didn't
    Defoe was injured, that was the only reason spurs bought keane back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,137 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Capello has generally picked on form and Keane has been in poor form since he returned from Liverpool - so on that basis, just Given and O'Shea.

But how many Irish players would get in the French, German or Dutch squads - who cares, its a daft question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

mormank wrote: »
    ahem..didnt you hear his interview!! they sold him cos they needed the money!! research man, research!! :rolleyes:

Don't think 6m will make much difference to the Arab Sheikh; reckon he earns that in a day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I don't think McGeady would make the squad.

I'd certainly have him behind SWP, Walcott, Joe Cole, Lennon, Milner.

And on the left he'd be about on a par with Downing for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Glenn Whelan & Liam Miller

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

I'm sorry but that is rubbish.

The only player we had in 2002 who would have definitely started in the England team was Roy Keane. Seaman was ever-present in the England goal in 2002, Given would definitely have been number two though. Duff would have been competing with Joe Cole as backup for Gerrard. Harte wouldn't have got into the squad ahead of Ashley Cole or Bridge and Kelly would definitely not have started ahead of Gary Neville.

The rest of the players you mention wouldn't even have made the squad.

What your saying is rubbish.

Gary Neville had a broken foot, he did not play in the 2002 World Cup.
    Steven Gerrard was also injured, and did not play in the 2002 World Cup.

Danny Mills replaced Gary Neville at right-back. At the time, Stephen Kelly and Steve Finnan would both have seriously pushed Danny Mills for a starting place in the team.
    Duff would have started. England barely had a left sided player in the squad. Trevor Sinclair and Kieran Dyer would have been Duff's competition, and he would have started over them.

Given and Seaman were of similar quality in 2002. The main reason Seaman was 'ever-present' in the England team was because Given is Irish! In terms of quality at the time, both were very close.

Harte was one of the best left-backs in the Premiership at the time. Possibly with Beckham in the team, Harte's dead ball ability would have been negligible which obviously would have been a big part of Harte's game. Cole probably would have started ahead of Harte, but it would've been close. I also would've included Harte ahead of Bridge in the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

Yeah wasn't Given voted goalkeeper of the season in England that year and Duff was voted best left winger in Europe a few months later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Lads, you realise this is 2009 yeah?

• Advertisement

Lads, you realise this is 2009 yeah?

Yes, it's just I mentioned a comparison to 2002, where I believe there would have been a lot more Irish players in the England starting line-up/squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    Danny Mills replaced Gary Neville at right-back. At the time, Stephen Kelly and Steve Finnan would both have seriously pushed Danny Mills for a starting place in the team.

Stephen Kelly? Really? You realise he didn't even make his Spurs debut till '03? And at no time 2002 or since would he get near the England squad. I think you're the one spouting rubbish.

I think it's a bit silly comparing the 2 countries anyway. Arguing which of our players would get in an all-island squad would be an interesting one now that NI are ahead of us in the rankings and playing as well as us at least.

8-10 wrote: »
    Stephen Kelly? Really? You realise he didn't even make his Spurs debut till '03? And at no time 2002 or since would he get near the England squad. I think you're the one spouting rubbish.

I think it's a bit silly comparing the 2 countries anyway. Arguing which of our players would get in an all-island squad would be an interesting one now that NI are ahead of us in the rankings and playing as well as us at least.

lol, yes you're right, Stephen Kelly (the guy who hadn't played U21 football for Ireland in 2002!) would not have made the England squad.

However, I was referring to Gary Kelly, my mistake. Gary Kelly probably would have made the England squad in 2002.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Crow71

Hypothetically speaking if Irish players were allowed play with england i think england would have won euro 2004 or wc2006 or come very close because englands three problem positions were goalkeeper, defensive type midfielder to play with gerrard and on the left wing. We were gifted in these areas with given, roy keane and duff- then with chelsea. But thankfully they cant!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Given would probably be first choice due to the fact that englands choice ofkeepers isn't great at the moment .
    That would be it I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

Given
    Dunne
    JOS
    Ireland(****)
    Stephen Reid when fit is a very good player and is better than Jenas who is in nearly every squad
    Keane(his goals record speak for itself even if he is a **** as well as Ireland).

6 is a decent total compared to each country size

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Depends. Do any of them have English grandparents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Who cares?

We regularly beat them at rugby. Come on Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Stephen Reid is not better than Jenas imo.

• Advertisement

^^ lol, when I glanced at that, I thought it said "Stephen Reid is not better than Jesus imo".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Stephen Reid is not better than Jenas imo.
    Steven Reid before bad injuries was, probably won't ever have that player back. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Given would be nearly a certain starter, afetr that we dont really have that many that would get in.

Maybe Robbie Keane, - england have got some good strikers but I think keane might make the squad.

Maybe Doyle, Like Keane might make the squad if he scored reguarly because his work rate is brillant and he can bring other players in to the game.

Maybe Stephen Ireland - Should he wish to play I think he would be in the squad :pac: his main problem would be England have an abundance of quality players through the middle and none of them are given an attacking role in Capello's England team.

I dont agree with McGeady, England have enough wide men to suggest he wouldnt be picked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Given and JOS would be in the squad(Given probably in first XI)

Keane in the squad every now and then.
    Doyle(A younger Andy Johnson) would have been capped but wouldn't play in the competitive games.

Stephen Ireland would/will have a similar status to Gareth Barry with the England setup.

Duff definitely wouldn't be in the squad at this stage, however it would be interesting to see if his club career would have turned out the same, had he been English.

The sky's the limit with Steven Reid, if he could have stayed injury free.

In the late-80s and early 90s, we had a better team than England. How many English players would get into the Irish team back then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

In the late-80s and early 90s, we had a better team than England. How many English players would get into the Irish team back then?

Do you mean other than cascarino, townsend....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Given is the only certainty. JOS would most likely get in. No one else IMHO.

Dunne wouldn't get anywhere near the squad, did anyone see how bad he was for City last year, or his errors for Villa last weekend?

And Robbie Keane? Gimme a break. maybe if they handed out caps on the basis of standing around flapping your arms in the air he might have a chance. Decent premier league level striker, but not good enough for England.

flahavaj wrote: »
    And Robbie Keane? Gimme a break. maybe if they handed out caps on the basis of standing around flapping your arms in the air he might have a chance. Decent premier league level striker, but not good enough for England.

keeping england squad regular crouch out of spurs team atm, along with berbatov kept england squad regular defoe out of spurs first team for 2 years, defoe he had to move away to get regular first team football, defoe still got picked on england squad while barely starting for spurs

like i said previous, keane plays for spurs, spurs players always seem to get into england squad no matter how average

keane would probably be england captain :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

flahavaj wrote: »
    Given is the only certainty. JOS would most likely get in. No one else IMHO.

Dunne wouldn't get anywhere near the squad, did anyone see how bad he was for City last year, or his errors for Villa last weekend?

You ever watch Ireland play?
    Other then Given, Dunne has been our best player for about 4 years. Also Man City player of the year on numerous ocassions.
    Robbie Keane is closing in on 50 international goals and since you are so caught up on last weekend he scored 4 goals
    And yes I agree Johno would be within touching of the squad on current form.
    Anyone else not a hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

ceegee wrote: »
    Do you mean other than cascarino, townsend....

Exactly what I was thinking! :pac:

Advertisement