Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plassey Internet or not

• 05-09-2009 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hey ..
    Does anyone know how to get a vista laptop to connect to the internet in plassey ! I have the cable and all connected and have followed all the instructions in the booklet in the house ....but it just wont connect......it asks for a username and password....anyone got any ideas ..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Have you tried your id no?

For the password, I think it is 9999 or your date of birth in the format 09Jan1995 (note the upper case). I haven't got the info on me but try those 2 for a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mid

Hey ..
    Does anyone know how to get a vista laptop to connect to the internet in plassey ! I have the cable and all connected and have followed all the instructions in the booklet in the house ....but it just wont connect......it asks for a username and password....anyone got any ideas ..

I didnt need a password for mine, what application is open on screen when the password box is displayed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Hey ..

It should be as simple as plug it in and go, make sure your network card is configured for DHCP and you've disabled any dial up connections too.

You might need to set your browser to use the UL proxy, I'm too tired to go through how to do all of this now but if I get a chance I'll post up how to do it tomorrow granted I'm sure someone will get here before me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Right I said I'd come back to this so here I am. First of all network card configured for DHCP you do the following click the start button and in the search box type Network and Sharing Center (probably won't need to type all of it). Open this up and on the left side of the window you'll see a link to manage network connections, open that up and find your network card it will most likely be called Local Area Connection.

Right click this and select properties....click continue through any poxy UAC prompts. Once the properties window is open you'll need to find the settings for Internet Protocol version 4. Double click on this and make sure it's set to obtain an IP address automatically the same applies to the DNS settings.

Once this is done click ok and that's that bit sorted. You should also check to see if you've disabled any dial up connections you may have had so open up the Windows control panel and double click Internet Options....then click the Connections tab and make sure the Never dial a connection option is picked then click the LAN settings button and set the proxy to http://student-proxy.ul.ie and the port number to 8080 (you might not need this but as far as I remember it was needed when I was in UL).

Once you're done apply any settings by clicking Ok or Apply and then try access the web again. If you've no luck with this post again and either myself or someone else will try and help out a bit more.....alternatively you could drop into the library some day during the week where they will help you set your laptop up to acccess the college network.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ClearlyClear

Hi .......... its not my laptop its that our house internet is not on !! Campus office says its an itd problem and nothing got to do with them HELP !!! :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

not much we can do to help if it is an ITD issue. :(

Maybe somebody has contact details or summet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Hi .......... its not my laptop its that our house internet is not on !! Campus office says its an itd problem and nothing got to do with them HELP !!! :(:(:(:(:(:(:(
    Did they not say: "oh, that's an ITD problem, we'll get in touch with ITD for you because, you know, you're living here and that's what we do"?

Advertisement