Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attack on router logs

Options
  • 05-09-2009 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

I just set up a wireless network a few days ago. How do you know if someone is trying to log into your network illegally or is already logged on to your wireless network? will their ip address show up on the firewall logs? or their MAC addresses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

most domestic wifi routers have a section on their web interface that will tell you what devices are connected, i.e dhcp addresses assigned. They *may* not show devices connected with a static IP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    most domestic wifi routers have a section on their web interface that will tell you what devices are connected, i.e dhcp addresses assigned. They *may* not show devices connected with a static IP

What is a static IP?- how does this hide the attacker from the router logs?

A static IP is where your PC chooses a particular local IP address, as opposed to requesting one via DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) from a router.

Having a static IP shouldn't affect logging functions of your router, but as I said, it may not show up in 'attached devices', it would depend on which router you have.

If you are worried about wifi attackers, why not just up your security to WPA2-PSK.
    Only a fool would use WEP these days, unless they're in the middle of nowhere.
    You might also check a program called AirSnare, assuming you are using Windows. I found it on a magazine cover CD a few years ago, it can display an alert when an unknown MAC (of a PC's wifi card) connects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    A static IP is where your PC chooses a particular local IP address, as opposed to requesting one via DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) from a router.

Having a static IP shouldn't affect logging functions of your router, but as I said, it may not show up in 'attached devices', it would depend on which router you have.

If you are worried about wifi attackers, why not just up your security to WPA2-PSK.
    Only a fool would use WEP these days, unless they're in the middle of nowhere.
    You might also check a program called AirSnare, assuming you are using Windows. I found it on a magazine cover CD a few years ago, it can display an alert when an unknown MAC (of a PC's wifi card) connects

Ok well i already am using WPA PSK AES and mac filtering but i have now one other problem...please bear with me :)

Basically i have one xp laptop with a g type wireless adapter and another vista laptop with a n type wireless adapter. Both laptops detect the strongest wireless signals (3 signals) but the xp laptop detects about 5 other weaker signals than the vista cannot detect. How is it that a g type adapter is stronger than a n type adapter?

type g is 54Mbps max, type n is 108 max. The antennas may be different and affect the reception of weak signals

• Advertisement
Advertisement