Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ugrent adice on temps of cpu/gpu...!

Options
  • 05-09-2009 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

hi lads

I found out some AS compound lying around [for like 10+ years] and used it on the gpu and cpu of my m1710, and dusted out the fans and put it back together

I installed CPUID and I am getting temps :

CORE 0 68
    CORE 1 66

GPU 69

these are celcius and idle, the laptop is doing nothing intensive.

they are wayyy too high I think ?:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I don't think its a good idea to use AS5, its conductive. How were Your temps before? How much did You use?
    Gpu temp looks fine btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I never really checked the temps before, i guess they were ok.

There wasnt much compound on the cpu/gpu so i figured tis would safe guard and fubared 7950 gfx card etc.

whats wrong with as5, you have to use something.?

actually one of the fans was not plugged in , i have the following temps now

37 78 cpu
    39 77 cpu
    48 65 gpu

from min to max, going to run cod4 and see how they fare after a few hours....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

CPU temps still seem way too high even for a performance laptop unless those peak figures were from Linpack or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

my PC idles at 50-60 degrees on each core, with the GPU running about 50 too, all because of the **** location of it, its on 24/7, for the last 4 or 5 months reboots every now and again, and no problems whatsoever, the rig is over 2 years old, never been dusted. I dont think you have much of a problem ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

whats wrong with as5, you have to use something.?

Its conductive, hence the silver, therefore not a great idea on a laptop chip or a gpu. Ceramique would be best, it contains no metal and its an electrical insulator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

There wasnt much compound on the cpu/gpu so i figured tis would safe guard and fubared 7950 gfx card etc.

that's also probably your problem, the whole point is that there should be just enough to make good contact - not just a big smather of goo which is going to be entirely counterproductive as there's a much less effective seal between heatsink and cpu. Also, if you just put it on top of the paste already there, that's another big no no :)

Advertisement