Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

complex yet vague

Options
  • 05-09-2009 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

Now we all know that the lisbon treaty by nature can not be simple, it is a law text amending two previous treaties and also takes into account other things.

But how come it is also beautifully vague in certain areas like: powers of the new president and security post and the requirements for the citizens initiative

they are the two main ones that I can think of off the top of my head.

check the latest comment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Now we all know that the lisbon treaty by nature can not be simple, it is a law text amending two previous treaties and also takes into account other things.

But how come it is also beautifully vague in certain areas like:

powers of the new president and security post

and

the requirements for the citizens initiative

they are the two main ones that I can think of off the top of my head

talk about being vague yourself....

please post the exact paragraphs that bother you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

my bad - they were clearer when i checked the actual lisbon text.

but I still have questions:

1 - who can be president of the european council? who is likely to be, not specificaly a name but a type of politician etc would be helpful

2 - that president cant currently hold any other job right? is the same true for the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy?

3 - who is likely to fill that role, a former minister for defence of germany, france or britain?

cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

I can't think of the specific paragraphs offhand, but referring specifically to the Citizens' Initiative, IIRC doesn't it state that the details will be worked out in a later amendment or something along those lines? Presumably something similar for the other ones.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, I just don't feel like scouring through the treaty to find the relevant passages right now. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭MrMicra

1 - who can be president of the european council? who is likely to be, not specificaly a name but a type of politician etc would be helpful
    The favourite was Bertie but we aren't backing him now. Likely candidates are Gerhard Schroeder and Tony Blair (but will Merkel back Schroeder). I think that it will be a former or serving PM of a smaller or midsize country. We have the problem of getting alot of balls from English papers.
    3 - who is likely to fill that role, a former minister for defence of germany, france or britain?
    The English are talking about Chris Patten but again I think that it will be someone from outside the Big three. I would suspect that it will be someone from Spain, Holland or Poland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

Thanks very much for the answers there.

So it will be a former minister of a eurostate anyway? No way it could be a current serving minister unless they step down from their current job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Thanks very much for the answers there.

So it will be a former minister of a eurostate anyway? No way it could be a current serving minister unless they step down from their current job?

Indeed:
    6. The President of the European Council:
    (a) shall chair it and drive forward its work;
    (b) shall ensure the preparation and continuity of the work of the European Council in cooperation with the President of the Commission, and on the basis of the work of the General Affairs Council;
    (c) shall endeavour to facilitate cohesion and consensus within the European Council;
    (d) shall present a report to the European Parliament after each of the meetings of the European Council. The President of the European Council shall, at his level and in that capacity, ensure the external representation of the Union on issues concerning its common foreign and security policy, without prejudice to the powers of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy. The President of the European Council shall not hold a national office.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement