Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADVICE ON HPAT PREP

Options
  • 05-09-2009 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

:D Hi!!
    I will be sitting the hpat ireland this year. Would anyone who did the prep courses last year recommend them? Any tips or advice?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Don't know about the prep courses, but I don't think they would make much difference. It's an aptitude test after all.

Buy sample booklets and do a bit'a practice.
    Buy a stopwatch and learn to time yourself.
    Get a good bit'a sleep beforehand.

So'ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

http://www.ericdigests.org/pre-9218/aptitude.htm

What has been learned about training to improve aptitude can be summarized as follows:

* Attempts to train aptitude must go well beyond practice and feedback. What's needed is intensive training in strategies involved in task performance along with higher level monitoring and control strategies involved in guiding performance and in transferring skills to new areas.

* Educational efforts to improve aptitude need to be long-term.

* Abilities of students and methods of training interact. Attempts to train strategies must fit the tested aptitudes of students.

* Practice and feedback can be effective when students are already proficient in the ability to be trained.

* Intrusive training may be harmful to high aptitude students.

* Training ability works best when treatment utilizes some of the student's other strengths.

* Some aspects of intellectual aptitude may be more easily trained than others.

(My italics) The sample papers will provide you with the practice, although there have been several suggestions that the **** papers are not as difficult as the ACER test. A good course will emphasis test taking strategies and transferrable reasoning skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

When I thought I'd have to repeat the HPAT my plan was to go to Eason's or any of the large bookshops and get a load of logic and abstract reasoning puzzle books which I'd practice for the months coming up to the HPAT. As it happens I don't need to repeat it, but it might be worth giving it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Piste wrote: »
    When I thought I'd have to repeat the HPAT my plan was to go to Eason's or any of the large bookshops and get a load of logic and abstract reasoning puzzle books which I'd practice for the months coming up to the HPAT. As it happens I don't need to repeat it, but it might be worth giving it a go.

I'd say this would be more worthwhile, and cheaper, than doing any of the extortionate courses offered by grind schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

If you're looking for a critical thinking book, try Thinking from A to Z by Nigel Warburton. I got it for an med admissions test back in the day. It's written in such a way that you can leisurely dip into topics (unlike a textbook), and it has worked examples for everything. Ideal for someone who's not looking to study critical thinking formally, but to sharpen her/his logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Getting the practice papers won't help you answer any wiser but timing yourself doing it and seeing the layout will help you manage your time wisely.

I sat the HPAT Ulster last year and I got a bit confuddled at the start.:o Still got offered a place though.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

The only preparation I did for the hpat was using the practice booklet a few times for timing and trying (and failing!) to get a good night's sleep and breakfast beforehand.
    It seemed to work as I was in the 100th percentile.

Tbh I'd save your money for something more fun and useful than those prep courses. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Patsypooky

teresina wrote: »
    hey...
    i found the **** course really useful..

Good luck with it! I found this forum really useful for HPAT Prep.

http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/HPAT-test-HPAT-prep-HPAT-Ulster-HPAT-Ireland/

Jury's still out as to whether they're any good or not. I did the HPAT this year and didn't take a prep course, and I don't think it would have helped if I did. Time shall tell how I fared anyway! I was sent a questionnaire about a month ago from the CAO about the new medicine entry requirements and there was a section where they asked about prep courses, so maybe we'll see some data as to whether students who do them preform better or not in the next while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mayo123

I am considering getting a re-check but before I spend the €80 I was wondering if anyone has tried this and if so what was the outcome ?Am I just wasting my money?Help!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

They're doing HPAT rechecks?

Isn't the HPAT marked like, by a computer? I'd say there's little margin for error, but go for it if you think you should, to avoid future what-ifs or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

mayo123 wrote: »
    I am considering getting a re-check but before I spend the €80 I was wondering if anyone has tried this and if so what was the outcome ?Am I just wasting my money?Help!!!!

It's the first year they're offering rechecks in Ireland. It'll involves individual rescoring of the answer sheet. The resulting Scores will then be compared with the computer-generated Scores to check that there has been no error in calculating or collating marks. If there has been a mistake, they will issue your new score. From other forums where I've read of rechecks in the UMATs (the Acer run equivalent in Australia) and the GAMSAT, they've rarely if ever made a mistake :(
    That said there's always a first time, and it would definitely ease the what if's later :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ragalag

Took the hpat last year..I just remember hearing girls chatting afterwards in the bathroom saying they felt the prep courses they paid for hadn't prepared them at all..i didn't take one myself..did very little prep and still got my place..if i was back to it again i would take it more seriously and practice more...there's my 2cents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Hookie

I agree witht he above post. Tbh I can't imagine what the prep course could teach you that you couldn't teach yourself. I didn't do much prep for the hpat this year, and i scored in the 73rd percentile. Definitely think i could do better with more practice.

Get some puzzle books etc with patterns for practice for section 3 (some people even said they had come across some patterns from the exam in random books), apparently just reading novels is good for section 2, and not sure what you can do for section 1 its kinda natural logical thinking for me??!

Other than that just take the practice test for timing and try stay calm in the exam!

Advertisement