Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

didnt get my electives... what should i pick?!

Options
  • 05-09-2009 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

im looking for something thats easy enough to pass with small hours. if youve any tips it'd be much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

Xhristy wrote: »

hmmm... did you do spanish before that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Xhristy wrote: »
    +1, not too difficult and a lot of fun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Agree with the languages, easy as. Almost impossible to fail and you can do well with a small amount of work.
    If you're anyway maths inclined there are intro to calculus courses for ag and science students that are hilariously easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

a guy gave a talk to a summer school this year. he used to be on the admissions board for the Smurfit masters course in business in Blackrock.

he said that when looking at applications he sees what modules applicants have taken. his exact words were that he would take on the person who chose the more challenging subject and got a B over the person who took on the easier subject and got an A+.

don't always go for an elective because it's easy. it mightn't stand to you in the long run.

but admittedly applied languages has other advantages so it is a decent one to choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭chave

thats total bs now. smurfit would take on anyone with the cash. i know people who got in with absolute **** doing typewriter maintenance electives getting A's and 2.1 getting into the decent courses in smurfit. if you had have said LSE or Oxbridge i would have said fair enough. but i know for sure smurf is all about the cash first grades second!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Introduction to Cognitive Science

Interesting, not many hours, and not difficult to do well in

http://cogsci.ucd.ie/undergraduate.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

chave wrote: »
    thats total bs now. smurfit would take on anyone with the cash. i know people who got in with absolute **** doing typewriter maintenance electives getting A's and 2.1 getting into the decent courses in smurfit. if you had have said LSE or Oxbridge i would have said fair enough. but i know for sure smurf is all about the cash first grades second!!!

he used to be on the admissions board
    the point is that the principle doesn't just apply to Smurfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭chave

he used to be on the admissions board
    the point is that the principle doesn't just apply to Smurfit.

i suppose but hardly relevant. people who take shortcuts on their subject choices to improve their grades aren't really Oxbridge/Ivy league material in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Doesn't Smurfit require a GMAT before they let you do an MBA? I did one a few years ago, and while it's not hard, it is designed to weed out muppets. I have seen a few folks on this forum who would have real trouble with the reading comprehension and analytical writing sections. :o

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Advertisement