Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are two packs of 2L soft drinks more expensive

Options
  • 05-09-2009 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭

I've noticed this in every supermarket I go into. If I buy one 2L bottle of 7 up in my local supervalu, it costs about 1.75, but they often have 2 x 2L bottles in one pack with a handle, and the average price is 4.10. I notice this with Pepsi as well, and have seen it in Supervalue, Superquinn and Centra.

Why do they do this? Are we paying extra for the carry handle? Surely, if you buy a multi pack, it should be at worst the same price as two singles?

Do we have to pay for the privilege of having a small plastic carry handle?

OK, so I just buy two singles, but why such a blatant surcharge for a two pack?
    I'm always confused by this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Before the "There is no ripoff" crowd chime in...

It's because they're used to not caring. Retailers are used to people not caring. It's a rip-off, and the sooner such retailers start hurting from lack of business, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

They know people would assume it's cheaper and not compare. i had a funny one in my local eurospar this week, their own 2l brand cola was about e1.79 and there was blurbs on it saying a least 40c cheaper than the known brands. The 2l of Coke next to it was e1.49.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Archeron wrote: »
    OK, so I just buy two singles, but why such a blatant surcharge for a two pack?
    I'm always confused by this.

Because some people can't do maths.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

animaal wrote: »
    Before the "There is no ripoff" crowd chime in...

Not to be one of the "There is no ripoff" crowd but if you can buy the two bottles individually right beside the more expensive 2 bottle multipack how is it a ripoff? They're right beside the multipack in the same shop and you are free to pay the cheaper price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I suppose it depends on how you define a rip-off. From some posts I see, there are people that believe that a if a law is not being broken, there's no rip-off.

"Rip-off" covers a number of concepts. For example, from Macmillan:
    something that is more expensive than it should be
    Our meal in town was a complete rip-off.
    rip-off prices

It's not on the same scale as some of the rip-offs we see, but it's worth making people aware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

theres no ripoff, single 2ls are on offer for the last few weeks so thats why they are cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

also some retailers use the single bottle 2ltr soft drink as a foot fall driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

I remember when it was dearer per ml to buy a 500ml of Lucozade than a 330 ml bottle in Dunnes. "The big one" as they call the 500ml one-marketing eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Archeron

haha., Supervalu now have 2 x 2L 7 up on offer for 3.50. Although, it is 2 x 1.5L with 33% extra free :)

My timing for moaning on this is impeccable! (it had been a rip for years though).

• Company Representative Posts: 103 Verified rep MovieExtras.ie: Derek

Another example of this is Pedigree Dentastick multipacks. Most of the time it is more expensive to buy the multipack than the individual units.

Even online this is the case (so maybe it is Pedigree charging these prices)

Here is an example - http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_treats_chews/dental_care/pedigree/128807

7 sticks for a large dog = 33c per stick (85c per 100gm)
    28 sticks for a large dog = 36c per stick (92c per 100gm)

I know it is not a big difference, but still what happened to economies of scale and bulk buying discounts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

There is often special offers on 2ls 3for 2 or 2 for €3 but I have noticed the two pack is often around 5c dearer than 2 individual bottle. What drices me mad is the price you pay for a 2l in a garage sometimes over €3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Free range eggs in Tesco or Dunnes not too sure medium size, cheaper to buy 2 half dozen packs than a one dozen pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

derekme wrote: »
    I know it is not a big difference, but still what happened to economies of scale and bulk buying discounts?
    Its still there, and people are moaning about it too, checkout the thread complaining about how cheap full sized sliced pans are- or rather how expensive small ones are- on both sides you have whingers, you can't win - just do the maths its not that hard.
    What drices me mad is the price you pay for a 2l in a garage sometimes over €3
    They know they have you by the balls, nobody in their right mind goes to do a weeks shopping in garages. The pricing of 2L in these shops and takeaways is priced in line with cans or 500ml bottles. They know 3 people might share the big bottle but it is still a lot cheaper per ml than cans or 500ml, so even though it is apparently expensive it is usually cheaper than buying a load of cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bala

I wondered about this too !

Advertisement