Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating to Dublin 15!

Options
  • 05-09-2009 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi Guys,

Im relocating to West Dublin but want to be near (in cycling/bus services distance to Clonee). I am currently looking in Blanchardstown as I want to near many amenities etc.

Could you suggest any particular areas that would be good to live in in and around Blanch or even more importantly areas to stay well clear of? :)

Anything would be very much appreciated! thanks a mill!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Gabsdot

Clonee itself is very nice. It's mostly houses but there are some apartment buildings. Also Ongar is a good spot and depending on what part of you could walk to the Train if you needed to. There is a nice town centre and it's well served by buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Rebeca51 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Im relocating to West Dublin but want to be near (in cycling/bus services distance to Clonee). I am currently looking in Blanchardstown as I want to near many amenities etc.

Could you suggest any particular areas that would be good to live in in and around Blanch or even more importantly areas to stay well clear of? :)

Anything would be very much appreciated! thanks a mill!

I thought you were movin' to Roselawn?! ;)

Roselawn is good. The majority of Blanch is good to live in but like all places there are dodgy areas. I doubt people will come on here and list the dodgy areas though.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

<SNIP>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

If your looking for an apartment then I think Waterville is the place to go.
    Near Blanchardstown Village and Centre and they are very large.
    House wise, Roselawn is nice but houses can be run down due to them being approx. 40 years old, no ensuit etc.
    Ongar is nice, but full of renters, so not much a community feel, sorry Ongarians.
    Tyrrelstown, mmm, sorry but same as above, but even more remote. You'll spend lots on taxi's.
    On bad areas, to be honest there are s bags in every part of Dublin, but in general Blanchardstown is a nice area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

stay away from drumheath,fortlawn,whitechapel and corduff and you will be grand..the safest areas are behind the main street ie rushbrook all the way to coolmine..very little crime and a nice settled area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

suey71 wrote: »
    Tyrrelstown, mmm, sorry but same as above, but even more remote. You'll spend lots on taxi's.

This myth is constantly perpetuated about that area, it aint that remote at all, (It's only about 2k from Blanchardstown Centre) unless of course you completely rely on buses. Even at that there's plenty heading into the city centre but there is a shortage of those going to Blanchardstown itself. I

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Castleknock also has some nice quiet and settled areas might be worth looking at.
    Rathborne is new and there's a lot of renters, but very handy for bus, train, shops and other amenities.

OP it would help if we knew if you wanted to rent a house or an Apartment or just renting a room/sharing. And did the Op want to be near work? and what was the budget?

Oh, and Jip, its around 6 km's to Blanchardstown Village from Tyrrellstown, or about 7km's if you live down the back.

Sorry but true.

Kaldorn wrote: »
    stay away from drumheath,fortlawn,whitechapel and corduff and you will be grand..the safest areas are behind the main street ie rushbrook all the way to coolmine..very little crime and a nice settled area.

Corduff is grand. As is Waterville, Ashling Heights, Edgewood Lawns and Brookhaven.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Sorry but that is rubbish, it isn't that remote and looking at the bus service, it is served pretty well.

• Advertisement

angel01 wrote: »
    Sorry but that is rubbish, it isn't that remote and looking at the bus service, it is served pretty well.

It is exactly 6km from The Tirsty Bull to the old Garda station if you go down the Snugborough Road past the NAC which is the fastest way. The shortest way is through Mullhudart, which is 5km.
    Jip said that it was 2km. 2km would only take you to the gates of the Blanchardstown Corp. Park.

Again Sorry but true. I drive it all the time, and yes it is remote and no, its not well served bus wise. Plus its a ghost town, about 2000 houses and you never see anyone, never any kids out playing, no community feel accept if something is organised by the Residents Association.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Honestly Suey, what time are you around that area at, when everyone is at work or at 3 or 4am ? You never see anyone in the area or kids out playing ? Go around the area any time during the evenings and you'll bump into nothing but kids playing. And you'll also meet plenty of people out walking themselves, prams ,kids, dogs or out running. You said you drive all the time, that's probably why you never meet anyone.

Maybe I was off with my distance, but it's still only about 2.5 miles to the centre, hardly isolated.

Jip wrote: »
    Maybe I was off with my distance, but it's still only about 2.5 miles to the centre, hardly isolated.

I think its the fact that tyrellstown isn't very central. Its out of the way, yeh your 2.5miles from the centre but you'd get very tired of walking that all the time! Then you're not very close to anything else apart from industrial estates.

It is well served by buses but that doesn't take away from the fact that it is "out of the way".

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Plus its a ghost town, about 2000 houses and you never see anyone, never any kids out playing, no community feel accept if something is organised by the Residents Association.

I went out for a walk around T'Town last Thursday evening. Took my dog down to the playground on the green. The playground was full of kids and their parents. On the green a group of people had set up a volleyball net and were playing with their kids and dogs sitting and watching them. I would think this hardly consistent with being a "ghost town"

I think it is also one of the more attractive estates with nice planting at the entrance and well maintained public areas.

It is exactly 6km from The Tirsty Bull to the old Garda station if you go down the Snugborough Road past the NAC which is the fastest way. The shortest way is through Mullhudart, which is 5km.
    Jip said that it was 2km. 2km would only take you to the gates of the Blanchardstown Corp. Park.

Again Sorry but true. I drive it all the time, and yes it is remote and no, its not well served bus wise. Plus its a ghost town, about 2000 houses and you never see anyone, never any kids out playing, no community feel accept if something is organised by the Residents Association.

Astonishing... It is not remote and it is served well. There is more than 2000 houses there. I see a lot of kids playing and there are playgrounds. I don't know what part of Tyrrelstown you are looking at.

Absolute rubbish in my opinion.

kenon wrote: »
    I think its the fact that tyrellstown isn't very central. Its out of the way, yeh your 2.5miles from the centre but you'd get very tired of walking that all the time! Then you're not very close to anything else apart from industrial estates.

It is well served by buses but that doesn't take away from the fact that it is "out of the way".

You are quite close to Blanchardstown shopping centre.

angel01 wrote: »
    You are quite close to Blanchardstown shopping centre.

How do you know?! :eek:

Is that you behind the bushes?!

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

Advertisement