Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A pint of Guinness. Strong opinions.

Options
  • 05-09-2009 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

I went for a few drinks last night. I ordered a couple of pints of Guinness. Has always been my default option if I'm not in the Porterhouse, Bull and Castle etc.

Warning - strong opinion ahead!

What a bland and watery drink it is. It is almost entirely lacking in flavour. It has been dumbed down to a drink that has even less taste than a pint of Heineken. It wasn't because of the skill of the barman or the run on the pipes or any of that malarkey that is thrown around about Guinness. I had pints in a few of the more famous Dublin Guinness pubs. Devoid of any real texture, it has no real creaminess. Or any the virtues associated with this beer. A bland generic, mass produced pint of almost nothing.

Which is a shame, because Stout is probably my favourite type of beer. A visit to the States will give you stouts that are full of aroma, they can be coffee like, sweet, bitter, fruity. They are dark, intensely flavoured complex beers. And I love them.

Rant over.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's a crying shame that Foreign Extra isn't sold in pubs here, and that Special Export is pretty much unavailable: the two best Guinness beers and you just can't have them on a night out.

Go for the bottled Guinness if you can find it -- always ask -- but beyond that, if Guinness isn't doing it for you stoutwise, go somewhere that sells the alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

The thing that annoys me is when you say anything bad about Guinness, people look at you like you've just slagged their mother or something, like its the perfect drink, like its special or something!:confused: Or when you say Guinness is quite a thin stout, people are shocked!!

TBH its not that bad though, bottled Guinness is actually quite nice, its just a little bit watery and boring but its ok. I'd drink it ahead of the rest of the piss available!

But it is a shame that Foreign Extra isnt available in pubs here.
    Or in a perfect world.... bottled O'Haras stout!!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

A shorter flow from the keg to the tap (ie keg under counter) always tastes much better. This is not a myth, this is a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

eh ? wot ya mean ? ya dont pour it down ya fckin gob ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

You get cheated on the Heineken sold in Ireland as well. The beer exported to the States is a comepletely different animal to what is sold in Ireland (and the rest of Europe from what I can gather).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

You get cheated on the Heineken sold in Ireland as well. The beer exported to the States is a comepletely different animal to what is sold in Ireland (and the rest of Europe from what I can gather).

It's an extract of the roasted barley they export not the beer its self.

A pint bottle of Guniness is some times the best alternative, that if you can find it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,990 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Agree completely with the OP.
    It's all very well, when at home, frequenting pubs that sell alternatives of your choosing but what about when travelling about the country?

Was in Portmagee in Kerry recently. Asked the barman for a pint bottle of Guinness - not only did he not have it, he'd never heard of it!!:eek:

Tried the only other pub in Portmagee and they didn't have it either.

Was left drinking sad ole pints of Guinness.
    The upside of this was that it was easy to turn in early after a few pints for my early start the next day!! No taste of more.

This is not a myth, this is a fact.
    And one that's conveniently unprovable. I've drank many a Guinness at events with mobile bars where the keg is directly under the tap. There's no appreciable gain in quality. But you'll never know without a blind tasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thorpe

If you can get it O'Haras Stout bottled or kegged in my opinion the best stout out there since Heineken took over brewing Beamish, which was the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

thorpe wrote: »
    If you can get it O'Haras Stout bottled or kegged in my opinion the best stout out there.

Yep also available in from Cask in the bull and castle Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Agree completely with OP. The first time i drank it i thought to myself i cant believe this is the favoured pint of so many Irish drinkers. I've had Guinness several times since and still think its tasteless watery muck. I'm only an occasional stout drinker, and Murphys is only so good, but give me a pint of that over Guinness any day. Sad thing is this watery $hite is considered our national drink :(

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

I stick to murphs and beamish, but it's not the first time I've heard that from regular stout drinkers (referring to the original rant).

With such a huge market to please, it's got to be commercially styled and accessible to almost everyone (even though it pisses off the odd die hard stout drinker).

Next time I'm at the pub I'll be ordering a Guinness to test it out :)

MattKane wrote: »
    Next time I'm at the pub I'll be ordering a Guinness to test it out :)
    But if you really want to test it out, go blind.
    /broken record

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

BeerNut wrote: »
    But if you really want to test it out, go blind.
    /broken record

That looks like great fun. Have done it with wine before and it's a tough test. Must try it with stout next time...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Our Heineken is made in Cork ya see.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Our Heineken is made in Cork ya see.
    Only the draught. The cans and bottles are brewed in the Netherlands, but diluted to the special low strength for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Johnny Drama.

Give me a pint of guinness any day over Cider & Lager

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

I dunno - as long as it's not that extra cold stuff I quite like Guinness - like the pint bottles too

Give me a pint of guinness any day over Cider & Lager

I agree.
    Doesn't make Guinness any good, though, just better than mainstream lager and cider!

I agree.
    Jaysus I don't. I'm just thinking "you're drinking the wrong ciders and lagers, as well as the wrong stout".

Get some Salvator, some Edelstoff, some Schlenkerla, some Brooklyn, some Schiehallion into you before dissing lager in one fell swoop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

slayerking wrote: »
    The thing that annoys me is when you say anything bad about Guinness, people look at you like you've just slagged their mother or something, like its the perfect drink, like its special or something!:confused
    Yes, it is held up as the ideal stout that all others should be compared against but could NEVER equal. I have said before I reckon if beamish was the same price as guinness it might sell more, it has a name/tag associated as a cheap imitation. I remember a few times getting pints of beamish and the lads in shock saying "WTF, you know theres guinness here!?!", and many think beamish drinkers only drink it since they are stingy, so I imagine many do not want to be labelled as such.

Coke has a similar sort of label of being "the one & only" that all others should bow down before and try to imitate, as though nothing could compare to it- same with heinz ketchup.
    Jaysus I don't. I'm just thinking "you're drinking the wrong ciders and lagers, as well as the wrong stout".
    I think they are saying its the best choice in a run of the mill pub which only has the mainstream lagers. I noticed an erdinger on the table of my local on the way out a week or so ago, I was delighted to see this so next day asked if they had budvar or erdinger -barman said none, I said I had seen it -turns out they only got in N/A erdinger :mad:

rubadub wrote: »
    I think they are saying its the best choice in a run of the mill pub which only has the mainstream lagers.
    Right. I'm not used to notions that the rubbish served up in most Irish pubs is somehow representative of what beer is. It's like judging world cuisine based on the menu of a burger van.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

Right. I'm not used to notions that the rubbish served up in most Irish pubs is somehow representative of what beer is. It's like judging world cuisine based on the menu of a burger van.

Brilliant!
    :D
    Oh, I'm stealing that one!

Get some Salvator, some Edelstoff, some Schlenkerla, some Brooklyn, some Schiehallion into you before dissing lager in one fell swoop.

Edelstoff is my favourite lager.
    But we are talking about places that sell draught Guinness here.
    Little though I like it, a pint of Guinness is about all I would drink in your average pub (there being no pint bottles of Guinness in the average pub-nor Beamish outside of Cork which is a little better but still rather bland)

Nobody said that it was representative of what beer is.
    Just representative of beer in most Irish pubs!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0907/breaking3.htm
    Coca-Cola is the biggest selling brand in Irish shopping baskets, it was revealed today....

In the alcohol section, Budweiser remains in the number one position, followed Smirnoff, Heineken, Bulmers and Guinness. The top-selling wine in Ireland was Wolf Blass, while Smirnoff was the top selling spirit.
    I'm surprised guinness is so low down. Seeing as guinness is the stout and bulmers is the cider in most pubs I would have thought both would be higher up. I know very few bud drinkers and with the wider selection of lagers or "non-stout" beers that bud would be a lower seller than guinness.

Though it does say shopping baskets, and bud & heineken are both often "€1 bottle" beers now, while it is rare to get a good deal on guinness or bulmers from the offie.

This is off-trade only. There's the discount lager issue for one thing, as you say, but there's also the fact that Guinness is very much an on-trade product. Sure 'tis only in a pub, at the hands of a skilled barman, that you get proper Guinness. I'd guess there are lots of Guinness drinkers who'll buy lager in the off licence because they associate Guinness directly with the draught product and regard the cans as something lesser, bizarre and all that that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

IronMan wrote: »
    I went for a few drinks last night. I ordered a couple of pints of Guinness. Has always been my default option if I'm not in the Porterhouse, Bull and Castle etc.

Warning - strong opinion ahead!

What a bland and watery drink it is. It is almost entirely lacking in flavour. It has been dumbed down to a drink that has even less taste than a pint of Heineken. It wasn't because of the skill of the barman or the run on the pipes or any of that malarkey that is thrown around about Guinness. I had pints in a few of the more famous Dublin Guinness pubs. Devoid of any real texture, it has no real creaminess. Or any the virtues associated with this beer. A bland generic, mass produced pint of almost nothing.

Which is a shame, because Stout is probably my favourite type of beer. A visit to the States will give you stouts that are full of aroma, they can be coffee like, sweet, bitter, fruity. They are dark, intensely flavoured complex beers. And I love them.

Rant over.
    That is so mad. I was out the other night with the OH, and decided to have a Guinness. I was totally shocked at how bland and tasteless it was. Really really unappealing. Normally when I'm out I have two pints and then it puts me in the humour for a few more but I wasn't bothered this time, just went home instead.

I used to drink it all the time, but in the last couple of years I've been drinking all types of beer instead. Maybe my tastebuds have changed or maybe the Guinness has changed, but either way I don't think I'll be drinking it in the future. Pity, as I used to love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thorpe

Only the draught. The cans and bottles are brewed in the Netherlands, but diluted to the special low strength for Ireland.
    Along with our Coors Light can and bottle plus our Miller Genuine Draft.
    Our budweiser is bottle and canned in Belfast along with our Carlsberg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Less of this 'our' business please.

Advertisement