Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone operating systems: General query

• 05-09-2009 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

I'm finding the broad range of phone operating systems confusing. Okay, I can understand the entry-level feature phones running a proprietary OS, as they have limited features specific to the hardware, and it's unlikely the users will want to install anything above what comes supplied on the phone (bar Java apps)

However, when we get up to the smartphone level, then we have; Windows Mobile, Symbian, Android, Maemo, Blackberry, Palm, and iPhone. Not to mention the various UIs that have been stuck on.

I was taking a look at Samsung, for example. They have proprietary OS phones running TouchWiz, Symbian running TouchWiz, as well as an Android based phone.

Imagine the effort behind developing and supporting all these interfaces and applications on that variety of OS's across different hardware!

Is the mobile OS market still trying to find its feet? - Are hardware manufacturers releasing phones based on different OS's to ensure they don't become dependent on one OS (and seeing which one sticks) ? Or is there something else behind this fragmentation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

tonyj wrote: »
    Is the mobile OS market still trying to find its feet? - Are hardware manufacturers releasing phones based on different OS's to ensure they don't become dependent on one OS (and seeing which one sticks) ? Or is there something else behind this fragmentation?

It's called competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭tonyj

blaz wrote: »
    It's called competition.

So Samsung is competing with itself? - Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

I'd imagine there are several factors at play. Off the top of my head:

1. Not putting all your eggs in one basket. For example, Nokia's long relationship with Symbian, who imo make very functional software, but it is not much to look at. What if something happened to them tomorrow? What if they started producing sub-standard software? Nokia would be in a tough position. N900 will be interesting.

2. The big one I'd guess- different target markets; business, power users, social networkers etc. Each OS has its strengths and weaknesses and is better suited to different markets.

PS. Posted this from my hero :P only a few days old and very very different to S60 and WinMo- much nicer to use (probably the sense UI) but not as functional Bluetooth=:'( and as fast as the iPhone (post update) and better looking too.

tonyj wrote: »
    So Samsung is competing with itself? - Interesting.

No, it is competition between operating systems. As C.D. has said, phone manufacturers don't want to put all eggs in one basket. It is the same situation as on the desktop: you can run Windows or Linux or with some hackery even MacOS on your Lenovo laptop. Does that mean that Lenovo is competing with itself? No, that means that the operating systems are competing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

hopefully phones will have more standardised hardware soon so you can install whatever you like on them

• Advertisement

Dankoozy wrote: »
    hopefully phones will have more standardised hardware soon so you can install whatever you like on them

Actually I would first hope that we get away from the custom of selling subsidized phones and locking them to the operator (i.e. see the iPhone). Once phones are freed from the operator, then they should be freed from the operating system. But I think there is a veeeeeery long way to go until we reach that point (if ever).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

blaz wrote: »
    Actually I would first hope that we get away from the custom of selling subsidized phones and locking them to the operator (i.e. see the iPhone). Once phones are freed from the operator, then they should be freed from the operating system. But I think there is a veeeeeery long way to go until we reach that point (if ever).

yea true. locking phones + branded firmware is the work of Satan. no need for subsidised phones either since 117% of the population now have phones

i'd say if they stopped making mobile phones tomorrow there wouldn't be an actual shortage for 20 years. as long as they keep making batteries

Advertisement