Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Voice Mail Scam

Options
  • 05-09-2009 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello

Recieved a voice mail that went straight into my mobile phone voice mail no missed call. Couldn't make out what was being said so was going to hit the ring the person back button. Something thought it a bit strange so I didn't and just pressed the button which would give me the message details.

The phone call originated from Ghana (0023 48 0326 etc). Needless to say I don't know how anyone from Ghana got my phone number and why if they did they would ring straight into my voice mail.

Anyone else come across this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

This could be similar to the old fax-back scams. The number you are going to ring is a premium line and you will be heavily charged for calling it (and the profit from the line go to the scam artist).

With the fax back scam, they used to ring companies and request hundreds of pages of documents from automated systems, the fax would then automatically dial these premium line systems and run up 1000's in charges. IIRC the scheme originated in Israel using lines in Germany or something where it was perfectly legal to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭richieb

they got ur no. from sumwhere. if u ring a mobile no. and put 5 before the no. u go straight to mailbox no missed call. ie ring 08722222, ring 087 5 222222

Advertisement