Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downloading files 16kb/s with 1mb broadband

• 05-09-2009 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I have 1mb broadband from eircom but I when I download files the average speed is about 16kb/s and with torrents I can manage 20-30 kb. Should I not be getting closer to 1mb or am I missing something?:confused: Could anyone tell me anything I could do to up my download speed. Thanks in advace

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

tooler08 wrote: »
    I have 1mb broadband from eircom but I when I download files the average speed is about 16kb/s and with torrents I can manage 20-30 kb. Should I not be getting closer to 1mb or am I missing something?:confused: Could anyone tell me anything I could do to up my download speed. Thanks in advace

Do a speedtest and post the result. http://www.speedtest.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Sounds like you've been throttled for over use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

1mb broadband is usually 1 megabit not 1 megabyte, so your max speed would be 125kbps. Still, you are receiving well below that. Try logging in to your router's config page (maybe 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254) and checking you s/n ratio (signal to noise). It may turn out that your phone line isn't good enough for your speed that you pay for and you would be better off on a cheaper package (if they still do 768 kbps packages)... Alternatively, check that all your phones/fax machines/house alarm diallers/sky boxes etc... are properly filtered as i think that they can contribute to noise on a line.

Bear in mind that those suggestions aren't exhaustive, maybe you should check that your ports are forwarded correctly for torrent d/ls and you should try download some software from sourceforge using the HEAnet mirror to test http download speeds as this is a fast server located in ireland. How are your page loading speeds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Also make sure you have a good amount of people seeding!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭tooler08

My speed result on speednet is that:
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/557711905.png

And heres my Dsl stats Down up
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 160 128
    SN Margin (dB) 11.00 22.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 50.50 31.50
    CRC Errors 327 4

My pageloading speeds are bad aswell the boards.ie home page loads up in about 17 seconds and I would have to wait ages for videos to load up. I have read about people with 1mb eircom downloading at 800kb. Ehat could I do to max out my connection.

Thanks for the hel so far

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

My speed result on speednet is that:
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/557711905.png

And heres my Dsl stats Down up
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 160 128
    SN Margin (dB) 11.00 22.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 50.50 31.50
    CRC Errors 327 4

My pageloading speeds are bad aswell the boards.ie home page loads up in about 17 seconds and I would have to wait ages for videos to load up. I have read about people with 1mb eircom downloading at 800kb. Ehat could I do to max out my connection.

Thanks for the hel so far

Whoa, terrible stats, Your syncing at 160kbps (1Mbit is 1024kbps). Do this

I did all that but the router could'nt connect to the internet, but when I reconnected everything (except the sky boxes) the download speed was 80kb and my speed went up aswell http://www.speedtest.net/result/558212199.png
    These were my stats

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 672 128
    SN Margin (dB) 12.50 23.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 53.50 31.50
    CRC Errors 17 2
    Is there any thing more I can do to max out my connection or will I have to get an eircom person out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

as a side point, anything I can do to get better torrent speeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

I did all that but the router could'nt connect to the internet, but when I reconnected everything (except the sky boxes) the download speed was 80kb and my speed went up aswell http://www.speedtest.net/result/558212199.png
    These were my stats

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 672 128
    SN Margin (dB) 12.50 23.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 53.50 31.50
    CRC Errors 17 2
    Is there any thing more I can do to max out my connection or will I have to get an eircom person out?

You need to buy & connect dsl filters to everything that uses the phoneline in the house. 672kbps is alot closer to 1mb but still pretty pathetic.

After awhile my speed dipped back down to 16kb. I have filters that eircom gave me ages ago but are they any good or do I have to get better quality ones?

• Advertisement

Unplug everything and try the modem on its own in the main socket without a filter, no other devices plugged in and see do You sync at full speed and how your stats are

Edit, on a re-read I see You did that, You sure You tried from the main socket, the first socket? You must plug the modem in the main socket to rule out internal wiring.
    If You did contact Eircom, looks like Your line isn't capable of 1Mbit broadband. See if its a line fault their side. How far are You from Your exchange?

Doing a rough caculation I am 3.8km from it. That's a really rough estimate tough but it's around that . would eircom send an engineer out or would they just tell me over the phone? And is there any thing else I could do to improve it like new fillters or run a program? **** * *

3.8km, phone lines never travel in straight lines, could be 5km by time it gets to You

See if the problem is Your internal cabling Eircom won't fix it and will charge You for the call out. You need to rule this out first by testing from the main socket.

Advertisement