Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords Pavilions extension gets green light

Options
  • 04-09-2009 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

http://www.fingal-independent.ie/news/euro1-billion-boost-for-local-economy-1874871.html
    wrote:
    Wednesday September 02 2009

EMPLOYMENT in Swords is to get a huge € 1 billion shot in the arm with new that phase three of the giant Pavilions Shopping Centre has been given the green light.

The project is set to bring some 4,000 new jobs to the town after an appeal against the development was rejected by An Bord Pleanála. The € 1 billion development by Chartered Land is to be anchored by Marks and Spencer and House of Fraser and is seen as a pivotal part of the future development of the county capital. The project had been delayed since earlier this year pending the appeal to An Bord Pleanála but now the planning appeals authority has upheld Fingal County Council's decision to grant permission on the grounds that the development was acceptable under the zoning of the area and was suitable for a town centre site.

In a statement to the Fingal Independent, a Chartered Land spokesperson said it welcomed the bord's determination of the appeal.

'The grant of permission is a significant milestone in our development plans for Swords Town Centre,' she added.

'We look forward to working with Fingal County Council and other stakeholders in bringing our plans to fruition.'

The Bord Pleanála inspector's report said of the project: 'In terms of the building height, scale and design, while the design of the building is radically different from the existing town, I consider that it has been sensitively designed in line with principles set out in the Swords Masterplan.

'I do not consider that the design of the building is bulky, rather a series of architectural blocks which are stepped in profile, provide for a scheme which is of high quality design and respects the location of the site by making an appropriate transition from the existing town centre and residential properties in the vicinity of the site to the proposed development.' Phase three of the Pavilions development includes plans for over 100 retail units, two major department stores, nearly 200 residential units and four blocks of office space and is expected to create 4,000 jobs when completed.

The expansion will incorporate a number of new naturally-ventilated public streets, meeting places and exhibition spaces.

Central to the project will be the inclusion of over 40 new restaurants and street cafés, which will create a new social and cultural district for Swords.

A further 3,000 jobs are expected to be provided during the construction phase of the development. The champagne corks will not be popping on the project just yet however, because there is one final hurdle to overcome before construction can begin.

A condition from the An Bord Pleanála stipulates that no work can begin until the Metro North route has been finally determined and that is still working its way through the planning process.

Oral hearings into the rail order for the Metro North project are currently suspended while An Bord Pleanála waits for additional information from the Rail Procurement Agency (RPA). That information is expected in October.

Pity about the metro stipulation, will be lucky to see this finished by 2015 :rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That's great news. It'll keep Swords on the map and provide a lot of employment.
    Hope they don't dilly-dally over the Metro route now....

As far as I know the man who objected the the planning permission isn't even from Swords, he's a retired architect from Longford or somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

That's great news. It'll keep Swords on the map and provide a lot of employment.
    Hope they don't dilly-dally over the Metro route now....

As far as I know the man who objected the the planning permission isn't even from Swords, he's a retired architect from Longford or somewhere.

Nuts how one person can hold up progress. I don't know what people do be on about with the character of Swords. What was Swords before the Pavilions? A Main Street surrounded by lots of houses. Like any other town in Ireland. We're meant to be becoming a city in the next 30 years. I say let's look like one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Yer man might be hoping for a payoff to drop his objection

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I have split this and made a new thread as I think this topic easily merits a thread of its own.

Dub13

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Oooh Marks and Sparks and HOF out in Swords, very posh.

I don't think they should be worrying about the Metro, more so the traffic around that Malahide Road roundabout and getting in and out of the place. It's congested enough at peak times. Saturdays and around Christmas are shockin'!

Where would the Metro end in Swords? It wouldn't be going down the main street would it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

It'll end at Lissenhall (or Belinstown to be more precise) and go down the middle of the R127, or the old Swords bypass where it will be elevated. There'll be a stop just before the Malahide roundabout northbound. There'll also underpass for cars to allow them enter and exit in the Pavillions from and to the southbound carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Its a disgrace that they got planning permission for extension.I live in foxwood which is over the bridge from pavillions about 5 mins walk.Staff in pavillions park their cars in the estate because management started charging them for same.this has become a very serious problem for residents as exit and entrance has become impossible.It should never have been there in the first place but the hand of Ray Burke and corrupt councillors is all over the place.airside was ideal but then again a disco is now operating in a light industrial zoned area???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Spoken to your local councillor about the parking issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

sting60 wrote: »
    Its a disgrace that they got planning permission for extension.I live in foxwood which is over the bridge from pavillions about 5 mins walk.Staff in pavillions park their cars in the estate because management started charging them for same.this has become a very serious problem for residents as exit and entrance has become impossible.It should never have been there in the first place but the hand of Ray Burke and corrupt councillors is all over the place.airside was ideal but then again a disco is now operating in a light industrial zoned area???

How do you know its staff and not just shoppers? And is it certain stores or what?

I know most people that work there get the parking pass ( think its a tenner ) and they are allowed use the multi story only, and meant to be the top floors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Davy wrote: »
    How do you know its staff and not just shoppers? And is it certain stores or what?

I know most people that work there get the parking pass ( think its a tenner ) and they are allowed use the multi story only, and meant to be the top floors

Nope it is defo staff, cars are there all day. Also my girlfriend's sister works in the cinema and parks in the pav car park and has to go out every 2 hours and re-park her car so she doesn't have to pay. Its mad.

I have relations living in Foxwood and I agree it is dangerous coming around the bend into what is now a one way system with the cars all parked up.

Only solution is to put pay and display like they did in Longlands and Chapel Lane.

• Advertisement

PCros wrote: »
    my girlfriend's sister works in the cinema and parks in the pav car park and has to go out every 2 hours and re-park her car so she doesn't have to pay. Its mad.

Why cant see get the car parking card from the parking office? I think its just a tenner for a year.

Only solution is to put pay and display like they did in Longlands and Chapel Lane.

The warden would love that, seen plenty people get caught in longlands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Davy wrote: »
    Why cant see get the car parking card from the parking office? I think its just a tenner for a year.

That tenner ticket must be a new thing, I'll ask her now but she was doing that a couple of weeks ago.

If that card is available to all the workers in the pav then there are a good few who don't know about it.

Ground floor, walking towards the toilets/multi-story car parking, the parking office is on the left hand side.

Advertisement