Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Too much oil

• 06-09-2009 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just bought a first bike. It's Honda Magna 250cc. Bought it from a dealer (he's selling cars not bikes, but he had this one accidently). So his mechanics checked the bike before I go. On the half way home bike started smoking from the exaust really really bad.

I checked the oil and there was way too much. Drained the oil to correct level and apparently they filled more by 1ltr or so.

So now fuming has stopped and everything seems to be in order, but could that damaged the engine? I mean seals, gaskets or something like that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

hopefully nt says you:),,a it should be ok ,the bike was only burning off the excess oil in the beginning,if the smokeness has stopped and the bike is preforming normal under normal conditions i say its fine,the only ting ib be worried about is clutch slip and if that happens ,,,change and drain the oil in the bike and replace with bike grade oil ,,,simple as that for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭PeterLT

Well thanks for that.

I know it's bad for a car's engine, had to learn it the hard way few years ago. Hope it's different for motorbikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Yes it's bad for the engine with the risk of blowing seals due to increased pressure.
    But you appeared to have been spared that. But if the "mechanic" overfilled by at least a litre then I would seriously doubt his/hers ability at working on bike engines.
    For the sake of a few more quid I'd go and do a proper oil change myself, maybe check that the correct plugs are in too.

The best of luck with it.

Bang Bang wrote: »
    Yes it's bad for the engine with the risk of blowing seals due to increased pressure.
    But you appeared to have been spared that. But if the "mechanic" overfilled by at least a litre then I would seriously doubt his/hers ability at working on bike engines.
    For the sake of a few more quid I'd go and do a proper oil change myself, maybe check that the correct plugs are in too.

The best of luck with it.

You're right. They hadn't a fcuking clue what they were doing. They even didn't noticed inspection window for the level. They do cars not bikes, so I can't blame them a lot.

Now, more bad news. Yesterday I drained the oil to the upper level in sightwindow, today after 30 km I can't find any of oil there...

Yesterday it lookes like this, I'd say even worse. First everything grand, then that, then grand again, now I'm missing lots of oil.

BTW I've drainen 1.5 ltr yesterday until it reached upper lever.

I think I did a mistake.

When it was overfilled, I took the filter first (for inspection), put it in again and only then I drained up to the level. I havent started the motor. So today after a ride oil could fill the filter, hence the oil loss... If that's true I'll feel really stupid...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

PeterLT wrote: »
    You're right. They hadn't a fcuking clue what they were doing. They even didn't noticed inspection window for the level. They do cars not bikes, so I can't blame them a lot.

Now, more bad news. Yesterday I drained the oil to the upper level in sightwindow, today after 30 km I can't find any of oil there...

Yesterday it lookes like this, I'd say even worse. First everything grand, then that, then grand again, now I'm missing lots of oil.

BTW I've drainen 1.5 ltr yesterday until it reached upper lever.

Of course you can blame them, a 4 stroke engine is a 4 stroke engine, be it in a bike or a car or a boat. The only thing they can blame is their imcomptetence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Of course you can blame them, a 4 stroke engine is a 4 stroke engine, be it in a bike or a car or a boat. The only thing they can blame is their imcomptetence.

No dipstick,sight glass,,they wouldnt be used to it.....But oviously incompidant

thetyreman wrote: »
    No dipstick,sight glass,,they wouldnt be used to it.....But oviously incompidant

Bikes don't have dipsticks? When did this happen? I must have missed the memo.

Bikes don't have dipsticks? When did this happen? I must have missed the memo.

OPs bike has a sight glass,not a dipstick,as i said a car mechanic wouldnt be used to a sight glass,keep up//////

OPs bike has a sight glass,not a dipstick,as i said a car mechanic wouldnt be used to a sight glass,keep up//////

Ah, thats a pain. But jaysus, its not hard to find out how to check oil levels.

• Advertisement

Ah, thats a pain. But jaysus, its not hard to find out how to check oil levels.

No its not hard,but in this case it oviously was.:pac:

No its not hard,but in this case it oviously was.:pac:

:D

Advertisement