Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

colour of deck rails???

Options
  • 06-09-2009 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

i recently got a composite decking in the garden but due to funds or lack of, i could not go the whole hog an get composite railings so i got pine railings. the decking is a redish colour and the pine is...well a pine colour.
    was thinking about painting the rails a comletely different colour ie cream.
    anyone else painted their rails a different colour than their decking, looking back i should not have bothered with rails at all but there in now so trying to make them as good as can be.
    would welcome suggestions
    :confused::rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

My folks have painted theirs. They went for a sort of light green colour. Looks quite well, very 'garden furniture' as it were. Doesn't show up dirt and insects as readily as white would, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Why not go the whole hog and just paint the entire decking into a single colour?

I just recently did mine in a Cedar (redish) colour and it looks fantastic. B&Q have a Cuprinol desking paint in about 10 different colours (protects the wood for 5 years).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

I wouldnt paint the deck, foot traffic will wear the paint away. No prob to paint the spindles, cream looks v well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

k123456 wrote: »
    I wouldnt paint the deck, foot traffic will wear the paint away. No prob to paint the spindles, cream looks v well

No worse than it would wear away the varnish on an internal floor which would have a lot more traffic. The decking varnishes are hard wearing and will last for years, and come in a variety of colours. It's not cheap though, iirc the 2.5L tin costs about 30 Euro.

At the very minimum, its an option if painting the spindles doesnt look as nice as you wish :)

Advertisement