Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enlighten me

• 06-09-2009 2:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

What is the purpose of our existence? The current situation in the world we live is that it's not entirely a pleasent place to live. We have famine, war, poverty, slavery, death, rising tides, disasters and greed. On the other hand we have great individual wealth, greed and exploitation of others. Such disparity in the quality of life for the people of this planet. People who believe they are acting morally, but in fact are doing so at the detriment of others. The world has become overcrowded with automatons, going about their daily existances without stopping to question what purpose they actually serve.

I believe when the religions have served its own purpose and faded away, only then may humanity realise that working together as one global community, can we protect our own survival. The purpose of religion and it's various denominations, I believe is to show us how cruel and destructive we can be to one another. Once we realise that our own survival hangs in the balance, only then will achieve 'heaven' on earth. And by heaven, I mean to cease continuing down the path to inevitable self-destruction that we are on.

If our purpose is not to survive and progress, then I ask what is the point of continuing to live? If we are merely on this earth to serve and please a God, then why not cease to procreate and live out your natural life as a good Christian, or whatever, and be accepted into heaven? Why is it not considered selfish for people to believe that they are entitled to a life other than the one they have now? After all, if a person believes they have done, or is doing what it takes to get into heaven in this life, then they have done nothing at all. All they have done is bought their ticket to eternal paradise. And what happens then? Do they lounge around all day on their soft fluffy clouds without a care in the world? No, true sacrifice, the very meaning of the word means to give without recieving immediately of any time in the future. Is it so inconcievible to do good without the hope or desire for your good work to be noticed and awarded with eternal happiness? And does it take the fear of hell to stop us from killing eachother?

I ask what kind of a God would impose a set of rules upon his subjects and create a world so tempting that it is inevitable that the masses would fail? Would it not be more 'entertaining' to wait for humanity to realise that in order to survive, it must discover the morals to do so within itself, out of neccessity. Rather than it be driven into us by fear without experiencing the consequences of lacking such morality.

If Gods word was originally intended to forewarn us of the consequences of our actions, then I fear it has fallen on deaf ears. Only through the imminent and all but complete annihilation of humanity can we start again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

PDN wrote:
    OP, decide which forum you want to post in. Posting the same threads in more than one forum is considered spamming and is not a good idea if you enjoy being part of boards.ie

locking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement