Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Messed up sleeping pattern.

• 06-09-2009 4:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Basically, I go to sleep after 3 or 4am and wake up after 3pm and I need to find a way to stop this.

I can't wake up before 3pm if I haven't got to -
    I've tried setting my alarm for the morning but I just turn it off and go back to sleep.
    I've tried setting my alarm and putting it out of reach of my bed, but I just get out of bed, turn it off and go back to sleep.
    I've tried setting four alarms going off five minutes after each other but I just turn them all off and go back to sleep.
    But when I have to be up early for whatever reason, I get up after the first alarm goes off, even if I had slept for less than three hours.

I was at college three days a week last year, I was waking up at 7am, leaving my house at 8am and not getting back until 6pm.
    Most nights I only had three, maybe four hours of sleep (some nights I just didn't sleep at all) I was tired for most of the day but then somehow I was wide awake at night and still couldn't sleep before 3am that night.

Well, it's now nearly 5am, I start a five day a week college course next week and it'd be nice to have a more normal sleeping pattern, so does anyone know how I might be able to sort all of this out?

Thanks.
    And sorry for the length.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Generally, if you have to get up, ya will! Chill. Once you start your routine, you'll settle back in in no time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Benj190

But I don't want the same routine as I did for college last year because I wasn't even getting four hours of sleep most nights. But I don't know how to change that because I'm just not tired until it's 4 or 5 in the morning.

Anyway, I should try and get some sleep now I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Do you exercise? I workout daily and this helps. And what about diet? Do you drink a lot of caffeine (tea, coffee, soda)? Cut back on that. Plus, do you eat and snack a lot late at night? A late pizza can keep you awake, or chase you in your dreams!

Thanks for the reply. I don't really exercise that much. I've started to drink less caffeine and sometimes I might have a pack of crisp or something at night but not that often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

I would try to make it a point of going to bed at 12, everyday even if you are not tired, put some tunes on, and even if you don't go to sleep, you will be resting.

Eventually you will get into the routine, and your sleeping paterns will return to normal.

I find this always happens to me, over christmas, or long weekends, but returns to normal when I go back ot work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Oh... I forgot to mention something else. Do you smoke? I always laugh when a smoker tells me that it helps them to relax. It's a stimulant not a depressant! Cutting back over time might help? (Unless what you are smoking is not tobacco... Oops!).

Thanks, I'll try going to bed earlier at night.
    And no, I don't smoke anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

My sleep pattern always goes like this once in a while if I'm not working or at college etc. The only cure IMO is to stay awake for a full day Its a bitch but you will go to bed as early as possible the next night and then just keep following the routine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Yep - Force yourself into bed in pitch black NO tunes, pc, laptop, ps3, xbox, or anything that can distract you. 2 or three night and you'll be grand - but try going earlier than 12 - try 9!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 James3555

ziggy23 wrote: »
    My sleep pattern always goes like this once in a while if I'm not working or at college etc. The only cure IMO is to stay awake for a full day Its a bitch but you will go to bed as early as possible the next night and then just keep following the routine

I do this, way too much actually, although it does work all the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

James3555 wrote: »
    I do this, way too much actually, although it does work all the same

I wouldn't do it if I was driving or anything the next day. The only thing I do have to tell people I got no sleep at all cos I do be like a fcukin demon with the tiredness:o

Advertisement