Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford AC Half Marathon Sat 12th Dec @ 11am

• 06-09-2009 9:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭

Just thought i would post this for anyone interested in giving themselves a goal coming up to Christmas.
    Great value @ €20 ...and the course is very reasonable.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Waterford AC - 1/2 Marathon Postal Entries Open, Training Groups & Times [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]new.gif[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]The 2009 Waterford AC 1/2 Marathon is taking place on Saturday 12th December @ 11:00am. The route can be seen here.
    The Tower Hotel Waterford are doing a special rate of €65 for B&B for any participants in the race. Check out their website for the best deals or call 051-862300 for bookings.
    Waterford AC would also like to thanks the following sponsors for the support:
    PJ Guinan & SuperValu Carrick-on-Suir
    The Grannery, Merchants Quay, Waterford
    Becketts Bar & Restaurant, Dunmore Road, Waterford
    Tower Hotel, Waterford
    Alfie Hale Sports Waterford.

Postal entries are now being accepted by filling out the following form and posting it to Deirdre Chapman, 63, The Croft, Clarinwood, Tramore, Co. Waterford.
    More details on the race including prizes will be available in the coming weeks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I'll definitely do this. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 EvilHomer73

Whas the standard of entry for this, looking to do my first half soon but dont want to be blown away by a serious field

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Brilliant, something to aim for, cheers Sosa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭gaffo7

attended few of waterford ac's events and they put on a good show. One not to miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

This will be my first competitive event since the Dublin marathon in 07. Can't wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Whas the standard of entry for this, looking to do my first half soon but dont want to be blown away by a serious field

The standard will vary,there will be very competitive runners all the way down to fun runners.
    Running is on the up in Waterford,you cannot drive anywhere without seeing people running at any time day or night,people of all ages
    Our winter league attracts 600+ people in november and the national half marathon we had her last year had a 700+ field.
    West Waterford AC have a huge membership and i expect alot of them to make the short journey down from dungarvan,i also expect a good number to travel from neighbouring counties as its a great time for a half...nothing else i know about around the country.
    In my view more people will travel for a half as opposed to a 5m or 10k.
    It will be well run,and the course is fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Strangely tempting - I used to live on the Cork Rd and this starts almost outside the front door

Sosa wrote: »
    The standard will vary,there will be very competitive runners all the way down to fun runners.
    Running is on the up in Waterford,you cannot drive anywhere without seeing people running at any time day or night,people of all ages
    Our winter league attracts 600+ people in november and the national half marathon we had her last year had a 700+ field.
    West Waterford AC have a huge membership and i expect alot of them to make the short journey down from dungarvan,i also expect a good number to travel from neighbouring counties as its a great time for a half...nothing else i know about around the country.
    In my view more people will travel for a half as opposed to a 5m or 10k.
    It will be well run,and the course is fair.

Thanks guess I will give it a go, good excuse to get back home for a few days as well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 garrser

Did my first half marathon ever in the Phoenix Park on the weekend, which was a great day and fantastic fun. Am delighted to see there is one planned for Waterford in December. Will definitely be giving it a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

BUMP....get a bit of interest going again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭ergo

good timing, was just chatting to my friend about this this morning

all going well we'll both be in for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Muller1888

Sosa,

I just want to check that a so a 2 hour half marathon would not leave me be embarrassing myself in this field?
    Will it be a mixed field or mainly competitive runners??

Thks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

the last half marathon in waterford was the national half last year with about 70 runners over the 2 hours, last runners finishing just under 3 hours.
    also on the day a lot of local runners choose to travel to watch waterford in the all ireland that day in dublin so there should be more average runners running it this time round with less elite as it is not the national just a waterford ac event.
    hope that eases your fears it will be a great day make sure to particapate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Muller1888

Thanks for that Sungod!

Looking forward to it.....

SUNGOD wrote: »
    the last half marathon in waterford was the national half last year with about 70 runners over the 2 hours, last runners finishing just under 3 hours.
    also on the day a lot of local runners choose to travel to watch waterford in the all ireland that day in dublin so there should be more average runners running it this time round with less elite as it is not the national just a waterford ac event.
    hope that eases your fears it will be a great day make sure to particapate

Just to add to what Sungod said,Running is huge in the south east at the moment with Waterford AC and West Waterford AC.
    I personally know loads of people that are training for this and they would be thrilled to break 2 hours.
    There will be way more people over 1:45 than under....i would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

I was wondering about this too! Thanks for that info. If entering, I would be one of those aiming for under 2 hrs (1.59.59 :D).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

RubyK wrote: »
    ... If entering ...

See you on the 12th so then RubyK ;)

You're well able for it though from looking at what you've been doing in your log

Oh, I'm still deciding Dusty Bin - my progress seems to be snails pace at the moment! I'm not feeling all that confident, breaking 10 miles seems a huge struggle for me, let alone getting to 13.1 :eek:

Glad to see you have entered up though - your training is going extremely well, you must be looking forward to the 12th! Keep up the good work :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Sosa wrote: »
    Just to add to what Sungod said,Running is huge in the south east at the moment with Waterford AC and West Waterford AC.

You're telling me. It's mayhem in the evenings with runners on the Ring Road just now. I always seem to be going against the human tide as well.

Fair play to the various clubs and groups that are organising all this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Will be doing this too, anyone know how flat the course is?

• Advertisement

The route is on mapmyrun http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/ireland/waterford/713621615501

Just tick the show elevation box

Looks a little uphill in the middle but nothign too bad I reckon. Have driven that road loads of times but never paid any attention to the hills

It seems pretty flat. The main Tramore Road is pretty much level, with a slight down hill from just after Ballykinsella (approx mile 5.5), and flat again till Pickardstown, and then there's a bit of a drag on the back road (Pickardstown to Ballykinsella between mile 7 and 9), and then it's flat again after that.

I think I have that about right ;)

RubyK wrote: »
    It seems pretty flat. The main Tramore Road is pretty much level, with a slight down hill from just after Ballykinsella (approx mile 5.5), and flat again till Pickardstown, and then there's a bit of a drag on the back road (Pickardstown to Ballykinsella between mile 7 and 9), and then it's flat again after that.

I think I have that about right ;)

Spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Will there be finishers t-shirts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Roadpounder

Heading down from Kerry to do this, where does race start and finish? Is it from the cork road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

dario28 wrote: »
    Will there be finishers t-shirts ?

most waterford ac and west waterford ac races have t-shirts and because this is a half marathon i would be pretty sure they would be available
    Heading down from Kerry to do this, where does race start and finish? Is it from the cork road?

it starts and finishes in the RSC on the cork road , plenty of parking there and a good finish on the RSC running track .... like if lidl staged the olympics:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

SUNGOD wrote: »
    .... like if lidl staged the olympics:D

Brilliant...Thats get my vote for comment of the year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

Just signed up for this and looking forward to stretching my legs

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭RunHomerRun

Just did my first marathon this year - in Dublin.

Did NO running at all for a few weeks, just did Winter League last Thursday night.

1) What training programme should I follow to prepare for the Half-Marathon? - with less than 4 weeks to go?

I have a Christmas night out - the night before - Friday 11th....so times out the window for me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

I'm in.

Now that I have registered, I'm looking forward to it.
    Before now, a combination of low motivation and recurring illness (got the swine flu injection with the warning that I may experience cold-like symptoms within the week - I was dying for about 10 days :eek:) made this a major doubt.

All events in Waterford are run professionally and friendly, so this should be no exception.
    Will stay with the Mammy the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Roadpounder

Didnt receive any notification from organisers re my entry, just wondering is it case of turning up on morning of race, cheque is cashed so presume im in. Long drive from kerry to be told cant run:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 deisefan

Numbers can be collected in the RSC waterford with goody bag on Friday 11th-Dec from 4pm-8.30pm and on Saturday morning from 8.30am - 10am. Online entry closes on tues 8th-Dec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Brienoian

Signed up for this, but haven't ran since the marathon in Dublin this year.
    Hope i'll manage it!
    How many people are expected to run?

Long-range weather forecast looks to be ideal for Saturday! Cold, clear and calm.

I'm just sorry I didn't work harder, and be able to join ye Saturday :confused:

Best of luck to you all, enjoy!

Brienoian wrote: »
    How many people are expected to run?

I am hearing that it will be close to 1000,unreal turn out if it happens.
    I would have thought around 500,forecast looks ok aswell...heres hoping anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

just entered there online, forecast looks good...fingers crossed!

Really looking forward to this now, even though training went a bit pear shaped for the last week or so with a chest infection and sore foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 jollybean

Does anyone know if there will be mile or km markers on the route ?

Thanks

jollybean wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there will be mile or km markers on the route ?

Thanks

There will be mile markers for every mile,no km's
    If you look closely you will even see the 13m marker on the track as you finish.
    I didnt notice it last year,but it will be there.

Good luck to all tomorrow. Weather should be fine. And if there are really around 1000 runners taking part then there should be a great atmosphere. Can't wait! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭RunHomerRun

I can't make it tomorrow, but in all reality - if I could, I know I haven't put in any training - so maybe no bad thing.

Good luck to all the boardsies running this morning, hope the weather stays good.

I may do the Tramore Beach Baldy man run over Christmas......
    Will read other threads to see what to expect

garrser wrote: »
    Good luck to all tomorrow. Weather should be fine. And if there are really around 1000 runners taking part then there should be a great atmosphere. Can't wait! :)

went down earlier to collect my number and goody bag.
    Over 1100 entries...it will be a great day.
    Lucozade Sport,snickers,fancy highlighter marker,WAC Wolly hat,cheerios and the usual stuff in the bag.
    Nice change giving a hat instead of a shirt...hat will be handy for the winter.

Collected my number and goody bag this evening too. Good idea that. Save a bit of queuing tomorrow. Am now all set for tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

woke with a tummy bug so unable it make today

How was it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Well done to everyone who took part :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Just back in Dublin after doing the race this morning. Conditions were perfect, course was relatively flat (A couple of small inclines), Organisation was top notch and the finish on the track at the RSC was great! All for €20 and loads of tea and sandwiches and biscuits afterwards!
    Well worth the long drive...oh and did I mention I broke my PB by about 4mins!! Finish time of 1h 44m 31s.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Sounds like an altogether better affair than the Aware 10k. Fair play on achieving the PB belcarra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

brilliantly well run race, great stewarding, very friendly atmosphere, def one for the calendar next year!! well worth the trip from cork down...the waterford crowd could teach us a thing or two ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055719344&page=3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

tisnotover wrote: »
    brilliantly well run race, great stewarding, very friendly atmosphere, def one for the calendar next year!! well worth the trip from cork down...the waterford crowd could teach us a thing or two ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055719344&page=3
    Spot on with the race report TNO!
    Did you finish far back from Sergei Ciobanau(sp?) as I assume he held on for the win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

wow! what a great race - good route/course marked/ entry fee great value/ goody bag/ stadium finish/ chipped/ loads of supplies on water stations/ marshalls v good and friendly + supportive/ Gardai aplenty/ tons of sandwichs [nice too!] & cookies and tea after. Overall well done waterford ac and all the organisers. Defo one to stay on the calandar and worth the drive down.

trihead:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement