Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal visit?

Options
  • 06-09-2009 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi I am a Meath man living in Paris and i want to bring my French wife(who has a stronger Navan accent then me!) to Donegal for a midweek holiday in the end of september to the start of october? Donegal is the only county she does not know and i would love some feedback on the nice scenic places to visit and to bring her as i was only in letterkenny i dont know much about the region, any help would be much appreciated,
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

I would hardly know where to start! What about checking out the pics in this thread here on the Donegal forum to see if anywhere appeals to you both?
    I have 2 personal favourites in Donegal where me and the OH love to visit for a break - one is Glencolmcille and the other is Gweedore. There are lots of special offers for mid-week breaks in hotels at the moment - some terrific value. Do you have the Axa insurance leisure break offer, for example (or know anyone who has ;))?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 bigaid1

stay in the waters edge rathmullan and take her round fanad,
    well done leaving donegal to last, she won't want to go anywhere else after coming up here

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Around Ards, Port na Blagh, Dunfanaghy area is a favourite of mine. Loads to see and do around there. Ards Forest Park, Marble Hill beach, Glenveigh isn't too far away either.
    Letterkenny is probably a good place to base yourself as most places are easily accesed from there.
    Or Donegal Town if you're wanting to see the southern half of the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Technique

You should probably stay in somewhere more intimate than a large hotel to get a feel for the county. Coxtown Manor in Laghey (http://www.coxtownmanor.com/index.html), O'Fabolous in Ardara, or The Mill in Dunfanaghy (http://www.themillrestaurant.com/) would be something a bit different. There's also Donegal's only 5 star hotel if you're feeling a bit opulent (http://www.solislougheskecastle.ie/)

There are many beautiful parts of Donegal - Inishowen, the north coast, west donegal gaeltacht and south west donegal. Letterkenny is fairly cental for shopping, wining and dining.

Have a good trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

bigaid1 wrote: »
    s
    well done leaving donegal to last, she won't want to go anywhere else after coming up here
    :D Great new slogan for Donegal tourism!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Dont forget to take a trip to the Griannan of Aileach hilltop Fort on the letterkenny -Derry road at Burt, turn right at the round church on the main road and take the hill road -taking the first right on that road will lead you up to the fort-the view is breathtaking to say the least-second to none in Donegal in my opinion.Dont forget a camera!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Older thread here

Advertisement