Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Cpu and Ram upgrade

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

My young fella plays Arma 2 with medium/high settings @ 1280x1024 on the following specs:
    2.4GHz Core2Duo, 4GB 800mhz ram and 512MB 8800GT on Windows 7 64bit (RTM).

My point being, don't build a pc to play this game now, the pc capable of maxing this game won't be around for about 2 yrs. This game is epic, You just don't realise whats goin on under the bonnet, serious AI calculations, serious explosion calculations etc, it'll bring any modern enthusiasts pc to its knees.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

^ +1. I'm just trying to spec the best sub-€300 kit to modernise the rig's gaming capabilities.

Of course, if you're slowly saving up for a more thorough overhaul then aside from a new graphics card you're not too badly off. If you're willing to overclock the E5200 a bit then ARMA2 will be just a bit less CPU-limited and give you more time to get together war-funds to build a more modern rig. The 8800GTS and off-colour PSU are a bigger issue. Could you give me a detailed break-down on your PSU from the handy table printed on a label on its side?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Arma isnt the reason for this, its just a help I guess.

More I think and read the comments, more I feel like spending the money on a good monitor...

Solitaire wrote: »
    ^ +1. I'm just trying to spec the best sub-€300 kit to modernise the rig's gaming capabilities.

Of course, if you're slowly saving up for a more thorough overhaul then aside from a new graphics card you're not too badly off. If you're willing to overclock the E5200 a bit then ARMA2 will be just a bit less CPU-limited and give you more time to get together war-funds to build a more modern rig. The 8800GTS and off-colour PSU are a bigger issue. Could you give me a detailed break-down on your PSU from the handy table printed on a label on its side?

I'll open it up tomorrow and give the details, safe to say, after being educated by you folk, its ****ing muck......

Probably, but even then there's degrees of muckiness :D A rebadged budget HiPro/Delta/Superflower shoud not be much cause for concern, same way a Deer/Raidmax should :D

• Advertisement

In college at the moment I'll open that bad boy tonight ( after a nights drinking which should be fun) I think its called " Michel" it cost me about 30 bucks from ebay.

Like I said before an antec one I had exploded frying everything, needed a psu on the quick and been using this one for last god two years I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Have been running an antec psu for 2 years now with no issues. :) Sometimes it can be the luck of the draw.

Nope, the older ones were legendary.

CWT were forced by Antec budget cutbacks to install off-brand Fuhjyyu caps in their mid-range PSUs. Not bad-quality caps actually. Only one slight problem with that... Fuhjyyus are only rated for operation up to 50C. And those old CWTs got really, really hot when pushed hard... I think you can guess the end result, it includes the words "like an ammo dump" :D Only issue was when the appliance-side caps went off they'd surge all the connected components with a wee 1000V spike or thereabouts. Mmm, crispy-fried PC :p

Antec learned the hard way, CWT refused to work with them and then went on to help (among others) a wee little memory company make an awful big splash in the PSU market. Antec learned its lesson and went to Seasonic to build its mid-range PSUs and kept Enhance doing its lovely high-end Quattros. Then FSP went and made a mess of their low-end PSUs (this time Antec probably wasn't to blame) and they quietly brought in OEM giant Delta to plug all the holes in their range(s). And Antec PSUs then managed to salvage their reputation in style :)

And typical with current life situations, the money id put aside is required for college, who doubled my fees without telling me, marvellous.

I still want to upgrade, just cant settle on components :(

I love upgrading...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 build

I'm in the same boat. Just forked out 3k on friday to get myself registered for the new term :(

• Advertisement

It just ain't right... at this rate we'll go from being top of the EU league tables straight to the bottom - just like with Internet connections! ugone2far.gif

As someone who tried to do something worthwhile in college after my job went the way of the economy and then couldn't afford to stay in after the VEC declared me "unwashed peasantry" and conveniently fudged my grant application (from the sheer number of lads in the same boat you have to wonder if this new elitism was "backdoor policy" courtesy of Fianna Failure :mad: ): I feel your pain :(

[/offtopic]

So what's the revised budget/situation TheDoc? Never did find out about your PSU...

Advertisement