Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painters in Waterford

Options
  • 06-09-2009 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭

I am looking for reccomendations of good painters in the area for inside house work.

Nationality not an issue.
    I am looking for good rates,quality and efficiency.

Any numbers you might have appreciated as i will probably call for a quote.

I got a flyer in the door a while back for polish painters,anyone any dealings with them ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

yeah i had them in about six months ago they were cheap friendly and their work was good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭well butty

Pat Sinnot is a very good painting contractor. You will get what you pay for. Ensure you are pricing like with like including the paint quality and number of coats!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Hi there, Sosa.

About two weeks ago I got talking to someone who had used the Polish painters to do the outside of his house and he told me they had done such a good job of it that they had gotten more work from people living in the same street including the sister of the guy I was talking to.

The polish painters have an account at Morris's where they get a 15% discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I was more than likely going to give these fellas a call,now i certainly will.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

good to see the local lads getting a bit of business

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I could do that. Got a brush? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

You will find many painters in the local 'Waterford Today ' magazine .

Have never used any of them though

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

Dave McNamara 085-8292313

Local guy, around for years, does a good job at a fair price, unsure how prices compare to the Polish lads though.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

Got a quote from the Polish lads to do a bedroom (13 by 14ft) for €80/€90 including the ceiling.
    Then got a local contractor to quote. €200.00! He came down to €190.00 then €150.00 as he was leaving. This didn't include the ceiling.

HOWEVER.. The Polish lads didn't turn up TWICE!
    The first time he said he just forgot, the second time I got a text to say they couldn't make it.
    Ended up doing it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

Hifive wrote: »
    Got a quote from the Polish lads to do a bedroom (13 by 14ft) for €80/€90 including the ceiling.
    Then got a local contractor to quote. €200.00! He came down to €190.00 then €150.00 as he was leaving. This didn't include the ceiling.

HOWEVER.. The Polish lads didn't turn up TWICE!
    The first time he said he just forgot, the second time I got a text to say they couldn't make it.
    Ended up doing it myself.
    Did yer polish butty show you any insurance thats the difference in prices!

when one of them cowboys falls off a ladder in your gaff then you'll end up paying ; thousands probally:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭clinchy

hav to agree with deise on that one easy to be cheap when you aint got to pay much costs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭j walsh

Did yer polish butty show you any insurance thats the difference in prices!

when one of them cowboys falls off a ladder in your gaff then you'll end up paying ; thousands probally:(

Your dead right Deisekickboxing a lot of people forget these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭west101

my neighbour got the polish painters to paint his outside 2 months ago whatever they used it has begun to break down and flake already doubt the paint they used came from a reputable place like morris's

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Paige Turner

Tyrone (O' Neill?), did our house many years ago but great job. Don't know if he is still in the trade or not though?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Cant recommend polish painters enough for their work. However they do take risks on safety. No goggles while spraying, climing on roofs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 deisedeco

Work should be kept local, you should only get someone that has been recommended, never lucky dip from paper ( polish painters have whole paper taking up) . If you check phone number, same number be used for different adverts for different trades. ''usually''.

And I would certainly recommend a painter or any other tradesperson if anyone is interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I'll be honest, I'd always go local where possible, but I've been asking around about a little painting job for myself and the Polish Painters have been pretty unanimously recommended.

Shur they're practically local themselves they're around so long at this stage!

Define asking around?

List of prices in the newspaper, how can a tradesperson price job without viewing such job. I have heard they are in trouble with Dulux, using there name and logo without permission. And have also heard they give everything 'one coat' and do not cover furniture. Also that 'extras' are regular addition to cost at end of job.

What is the job your getting done

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

deisedeco wrote: »
    Work should be kept local

imho polish painters are local. They supply bussinnes in the local shops, pay taxes in local revenue office, spend their money locally and they probably drink local beer after hours.

Maybe my definition of local company is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

If you check phone number, same number be used for different adverts for different trades. ''usually''
    What about this being their "reception"? Could be the only chap with conversational English while others know their trade.

• Advertisement

I have heard (...) And have also heard (...)
    Hearsay

I would not believe this to be the case.

Not to say Irish people aren't as poor quality either, good quality is hard come by. alot Joe soaps call themselves painters or other tradespersons and take work with poor quality. When hardworking good quality workers out there.

This perception that polish painters polish carpet cleaning polish tiler's are best option is a uneducated piece of knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I worked as a painter one summer in Boston many years ago, and I can remember that Irish crews of painters were being constantly undercut for price by Brazilian crews who had recently arrived on the scene at the time.

What appeared over time was that the work which many of the Brazilian crews were carrying out wasn't lasting the winter (winters in Boston are pretty harsh, so many people paint their timber houses every summer/autumn) as they were cutting back on time and materials.

The moral of the story is rather than single out certain nationalities, if the price is drastically lower, this is probably for a reason, especially now when work is tight for a lot of guys. They're either noticably cheaper due to cutting back on time, materials, or on VAT.

Each to their own liking.
    ...is a uneducated piece of knowledge
    There's no point calling one uneducated as long as s/he is happy with the service.

Out of interest - are you in the painting/decorating business as your username suggests?

I did not mean it in that way.

Personally I think , a homeowner should ask neighbours/friends of a tradesperson they recommend for such job. From building a wall to washing windows. Word of mouth is best form of advertisement. If someone does a good job , they deserve the job.

To refer to the uneducated piece knowledge, what I meant is the homeowner mistake is looking in paper for a tradesperson and not getting recommendations off family/friends.

And yes I am in the buisness, I am just trying to offer bit of insight to the discussion.
    with many of the things I have heard from homeowners and other people in business who have had to re-do work recently done by the polish painters and fix it at a double cost to homeowner.

If a homeowner gets a tradesperson to do work in there home it should be high standard and no less.

#hardybuck

I agree with you.

they advertise as polish painters therefore they will be referred to as polish painters.

Word of mouth is best form of advertisement.
    (...)the homeowner mistake is (...) not getting recommendations off family/friends(...)
    (...)offer bit of insight to the discussion(...)
    I have heard (...) had to re-do work recently done by the polish painters and fix it at a double cost (...)
    they advertise as polish painters therefore they will be referred to as polish painters.
    To put all this together the best way to advertise YOUR business is to come here and spread hearsay about one of your competitors, yay or nay?

Nay.

As I said im just trying to give an insight to the discussion.

I haven't glorified myself.

no matter if its building a wall washing a window or painting a room the house owner should ask friends and family for a recommendation.

Do you not think this is better way going about a job in your house compared to lucky dip out of paper?

You get what you're paying for.

Are you the one to b1tch about Ryanair (the extra fees here and there, the service) but keep using them?
    What is your insight? Emirates offering more legroom, not charging a penny extra?

Man, we all know came October and customer wallets are dried out. Every business is quiet. Taxi drivers are blaming the council for the roadworks, you came here to offer your insight about one particular competitor... how is this going to help ya?

• Advertisement

yes you do get what U pay for. I am only adding insight to the discussion which had good and bad point previously. It is a homeowner decision whom they get to do work on there property.

Again i will repeat myself, from building a wall to washing a window or painting a room. It is best for a homeowner to ask friends/family for recommendations.

With this policy a homeowner will hopefully receive good quality work.

If you want to discuss ryanair im sure there are thread for that.

I believe you are type person you described.

I don't not wish to exchange words with you again.

Advertisement