Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Pizza Tip

Options
  • 06-09-2009 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

I had a pizza last night made with the method I'm about to give you...and it was one of the nicest pizzas i've ever tasted.

Aldi sell Mediterranean Wraps for 99c or something like that....and by the sweat of sweet Jesus...they make an awesome pizza base. Put whatever you want on top....just use these as a base. That's it, that's the tip.

Do it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Greyham

yea its true, can make a great pizza base, as do burger buns if you're making something quick or casual , finger food etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

interesting idea... but then you miss the taste of pizza dough. hmmmm, not sure what to think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭superficies

This is actually delicious; I have been doing it for a quick supper if you get home quite late after work or whatever. It takes about 4 or 5 minutes. I usually just bung on tomatoe puree, some salami and turkey or ham, few slices tomato, sliced mushrooms and some grated cheese or shaved parmesan. Then fold it over/wrap it as a traditional wrap. Chomp chomp. Yum.

Top tip OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

Is tomato passata the same thing as tomato puree?I think I'm going make my own hot and spicy tomorrow with those aldi base things

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

TirNaNog. wrote: »
    Is tomato passata the same thing as tomato puree?
    Passata is seived tomatoes, while puree will have moisture removed. So passata is quite watery, some like that for bases, I prefer thick puree or a mix of puree & normal tomato sauce or passata.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Passata is seived tomatoes, while puree will have moisture removed. So passata is quite watery, some like that for bases, I prefer thick puree or a mix of puree & normal tomato sauce or passata.

any particular brand puree for the tastiest experience?

lol, i think all puree taste as similar as ever. own brand cheaper by far :)

lol, i think all puree taste as similar as ever. own brand cheaper by far :)

Oh I'll be a cheapo and try aldi's if I can find it
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

This is actually delicious; I have been doing it for a quick supper if you get home quite late after work or whatever. It takes about 4 or 5 minutes. I usually just bung on tomatoe puree, some salami and turkey or ham, few slices tomato, sliced mushrooms and some grated cheese or shaved parmesan. Then fold it over/wrap it as a traditional wrap. Chomp chomp. Yum.

Top tip OP!

Pardon my ignorance but do ya put this into the oven before wrapping it up, or do you cook the mushrooms, and other toppings separate, and then put them on the base? :confused:

It does sound tasty! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭superficies

I put it all on the wrap and then put it until a medium grill for a few minutes--keep an eye on it though cos it can burn quite quickly at the edges.

Puree def better than passata for this because it doesnt make it soggy. Own brand tesco puree is very tasty; as is the one from lidl in the blue tube. Both around 50c a tube and it's a definite staple. I always have 2 or 3 tubes in the press as can use for quick pasta sauces, in stews, in all italian cooking, tom soup etc... as well as things like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If you're using a pre-cooked base like a flatbread, you can just stick the raw ingredients on the base and put it either in the oven (10 mins) or under the grill until the cheese melts and the toppings cook. If you're using a raw base, you'll need to oven bake the whole thing with raw toppings, but either way you'll probably find instructions on the pizza base pack.

If I wanted to use raw meat on the pizza - e.g. bacon or chicken, as opposed to ham or pepperoni - I'd cook it in a pan first to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

any particular brand puree for the tastiest experience?
    Tesco have a cheap one that comes in a tube like toothpaste which is handy for keeping fresh. I mix in some minced garlic on with the sauce and sometimes mixed herbs.
    pog it wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance but do ya put this into the oven before wrapping it up, or do you cook the mushrooms, and other toppings separate, and then put them on the base? :confused:
    I expect it is wrapped after the oven, a mate of mine eats pizzas like that, folds them over like a sandwich.
    I put it all on the wrap and then put it until a medium grill for a few minutes--keep an eye on it though cos it can burn quite quickly at the edges.
    You can wet some kitchen towel and pat the edges so they are wet and will not burn as quick.

You can also use pitta breads as pizza bases. For quick snacks I use ryvitas as the base, and grill or microwave them. I also have non-stick "magic sheets", I put cheese direct on them onto a frying pan and put puree on toast and then put it on the cheese and fry it, sometimes put salami on too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Oh I'll be a cheapo and try aldi's if I can find it
    :)

I use Aldi's all the time and it's really good - and very cheap. If you're using passata or tinned tomatoes, cook it with garlic and oregano plus a squirt of puree. Reduce it down until it thickens then keep it in a tub in the fridge and use it as you need it.

I found all the ingredients in aldi's anyway I had mediterranean wraps as a base aldi's puree, grated cheddar ,salami ,jalapenos and pineapples it was delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Anyone know where you can get Pizza dough many thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

Aldi sell Mediterranean Wraps for 99c or something like that....and by the sweat of sweet Jesus...they make an awesome pizza base.

Great idea - thank you. But be careful not to make blasphemous comments about Rachel Allen's accent or some people around here will hop on you (and not in a good way!)

Hootanany wrote: »
    Anyone know where you can get Pizza dough many thanks in advance

make it. it's surprisingly easly :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

a warning on the pitta base:

when i was making pitzas, and freezing them, i would sometimes forget to poke a hole in the bread. this was a BAD THING. The breads like to puff up, and the toppings go slide off. So stab it through w/ a knife, and there is much awesomeness to be savoured.

I had tried halving the breads, but im not sure i liked them as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Here is a great, simple recipe for pizza dough and sauce. I use it all the time.

Advertisement