Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 Upgrade Questions

Options
  • 06-09-2009 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭

Thinking of upgrading to Windows 7 from Vista Home Premium.

Anyone know the following:
    1. Where can I get a copy of 7 now Microsoft aren't giving it out (i have a key)
    2. Does it have to be 7 Premium I install? (i have a torrent of ultimate downloaded)
    3. Will I lose the data currently on my harddrive?
    4. Will I have to reinstall all drivers?

Any help appreciated...........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Well I can answer 2, 3 and 4!

1:Don't know where you'd get a legal copy of windows 7

2:The version that you have the key for is the only version you'll have to install.

3:There is no way to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7(currently) so when you install windows 7 it'll be on either a partition of your hard-drive or it will be a clean install

4:Yes you will need to install the drivers when you put Windows 7 on your pc. Although all of them will be available online. (so that's not much of a problem)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

You can just download the RC version from microsoft and you get a key unless they recently changed it. Only works till march though.

You can just download the RC version from microsoft and you get a key unless they recently changed it. Only works till march though.

Can't download it anymore but you can get get new keys...

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

Effluo wrote: »

3:There is no way to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7(currently) so when you install windows 7 it'll be on either a partition of your hard-drive or it will be a clean install

I just installed an RTM copy onto my lapper and it gave me the option to upgrade from xp to ultimate. I didn't do it but the option was there

requiem1 wrote: »
    I just installed an RTM copy onto my lapper and it gave me the option to upgrade from xp to ultimate. I didn't do it but the option was there

Hmmmmmmm

Yeah not sure how that works...

Pretty sure the reason why you're not supposed to be able to upgrade is cause of the EU competition giving out about how Windows ships with Internet Explorer.

The new oem and retail copies are supposed to ship without any browser installed and they also stopped the upgrade packages too case of that same competition problem. They do upgrades in every other trading zone but not Europe!

note* have been getting conflicting info on this but i think this is still the case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

Hmmmmmmm

Yeah not sure how that works...

Pretty sure the reason why you're not supposed to be able to upgrade is cause of the EU competition giving out about how Windows ships with Internet Explorer.

The new oem and retail copies are supposed to ship without any browser installed and they also stopped the upgrade packages too case of that same competition problem. They do upgrades in every other trading zone but not Europe!

note* have been getting conflicting info on this but i think this is still the case

I'm going to be upgrading my gaming pc soon enough so i'll give it a go and see what happens. I'll also take some screen shots to clarify. Solves all confusion:D

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Apparently you can upgrade from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7.....

You can upgrade now, the Windows 7 E SKU was canned in favour of a ballot screen which is to be pushed out via Windows Update.

Karsini wrote: »
    You can upgrade now, the Windows 7 E SKU was canned in favour of a ballot screen which is to be pushed out via Windows Update.

So will there now be two seperate options for buyers?
    A cheaper one for those who want to upgrade from vista and then the full oem version?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

requiem1 wrote: »

You don't know where i'd find a copy do you?

• Advertisement

So will there now be two seperate options for buyers?
    A cheaper one for those who want to upgrade from vista and then the full oem version?

I'd say there will be, the media will be exactly the same as the US edition now so there shouldn't be an issue. 7 E was actually a different disc altogether.

Advertisement