Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell warranty - Dell or Currys?

Options
  • 06-09-2009 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

Hi I purchased a Dell laptop from Currys in April 09. The DVD drives seems to have developed a fault in that it wont read any disk and makes a terrible noise. Anyway I rang Currys and got the automated service which instructed me to contact Dell. I contacted Dell but their service is closed today (Sunday). I put in the Dell service tag and according to the Dell site the warranty expires in Nov 09.

The question is, I would have thought my warranty would have started from April when the laptop was purchased. Is it just a case of scanning in the receipt from Currys and sending it to Dell? Either way its still under warranty so the issue of fixing it now doesnt really come into it. I would be more concerned with the period from Nov 09 to Apr 10.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

pissed wrote: »
    Hi I purchased a Dell laptop from Currys in April 09. The DVD drives seems to have developed a fault in that it wont read any disk and makes a terrible noise. Anyway I rang Currys and got the automated service which instructed me to contact Dell. I contacted Dell but their service is closed today (Sunday). I put in the Dell service tag and according to the Dell site the warranty expires in Nov 09.

The question is, I would have thought my warranty would have started from April when the laptop was purchased. Is it just a case of scanning in the receipt from Currys and sending it to Dell? Either way its still under warranty so the issue of fixing it now doesnt really come into it. I would be more concerned with the period from Nov 09 to Apr 10.
    you bought it in currys so they are responsible for fixing it. dell have provided a warrenty which is usually one year collect and return and once you ring them and send a copy of reciept they should honour their warrenty. if you are unhappy with the response from dell just request that currys fix your pc as it is unfit for its purpose and they are legally obliged to repair replace or refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Currys are obliged to look after you however I did have a laptop repaired very recently and Dell did a house call which was very very handy, a nice fella came out, worked at the kitchen table and my laptop is now perfect, I'm a happy customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Currys are obliged to look after you however I did have a laptop repaired very recently and Dell did a house call which was very very handy, a nice fella came out, worked at the kitchen table and my laptop is now perfect, I'm a happy customer.

Thanks for the replies, just wondering did you buy your laptop direct from Dell or was it also purchased in Currys? Will give Dell a ring in the morning and take it from there I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

It was direct from Dell. Great service though as repairs go, no questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

foggy_lad wrote: »
    you bought it in currys so they are responsible for fixing it. dell have provided a warrenty which is usually one year collect and return and once you ring them and send a copy of reciept they should honour their warrenty. if you are unhappy with the response from dell just request that currys fix your pc as it is unfit for its purpose and they are legally obliged to repair replace or refund.

While Currys are obliged to do something for you, they are only going to send the laptop off to Dell for repair. If you contact Dell directly you will get the laptop fixed quicker as they will either send out a new DVD drive for you to install or will collect the laptop and return it to you when it has been fixed.

I had to return a monitor that was under extended warranty to them recently and their sevice was excellent, I rang them at lunchtime on a bank holiday and the replacement monitor was delivered to the door the nex morning.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies, I will contact Dell directly this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,193 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

pissed wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, I will contact Dell directly this morning.

You can log a fault with it on the tech support form of the dell Website.

They will email you asking you are you confident replacing the drive yourself.

You have to confirm you are, your contact address, your contact phone number and you will be available on the date they ship it.

You should have it by Thursday all going well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Boggles wrote: »
    You can log a fault with it on the tech support form of the dell Website.

They will email you asking you are you confident replacing the drive yourself.

You have to confirm you are, your contact address, your contact phone number and you will be available on the date they ship it.

You should have it by Thursday all going well.
    but if you do this and currys find out they will have nothing more to do with it as you are not a qualified repair agent

I contacted Dell this morning, all joking aside I found it very hard to understand the guy .. Indian I think. Anyway they are collecting it tomorrow. DVD drive packed in. As regards the warranty he said it was one year from the day I purchased it from Currys, so thats sorted too. Thanks again for all the replies.

Advertisement