Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yes to lisbon - Sir Paul McGrath

• 06-09-2009 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/ya-that-was-paul-mcgrath-100044.html
    'Ya, that was Paul McGrath'
    By Conor Ryan Political Correspondent

Thursday, September 03, 2009

VOTE ya says Paul McGrath. Vote ya says Paul McGrath.

The legendary Republic of Ireland defender made a bizarre entrance to the Lisbon treaty debate when he told the controversial anti-Lisbon lobby Coir: "I don’t f**king agree with you. It is bull***t."

The retired soccer star barged into Coir’s Monday night meeting after he met with boxing’s greatest champion Muhammad Ali at a fundraising event in the Ballsbridge Court Hotel.

Coir, which has its headquarters in the offices of anti-abortion activists Youth Defence, was hosting a small meeting on the treaty when McGrath made his feelings known by shouting from the door.

"You cannot interrupt," he was told.

Those organising the event asked him to leave. "Ah Paul. Go on Paul will ya?" they said.

Mr McGrath then reiterated his view that "it was bull***t" a number of times. Afterwards they confirmed to each other, "Ya, that was Paul McGrath."

The argy-bargy was broadcast live on the internet by Irish Election.com blogger Alexia Golez.

But McGrath’s minute-long speech was not clear enough to pick up everything he said about Ireland in Europe.

Suzy Byrne, who runs the blog, Mamam Poulet, also witnessed the soccer legend’s surprise canvass and posted the moment on Twitter.

"He was asked to leave. Initially he didn’t want to and those at the meeting said they would call security and then he did leave," he said.

The former footballer followed Irish captain Robbie Keane as fledgling campaigners in favour of Lisbon. However, Keane has so far opted for more orthodox events organised by the yes camp.

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Thursday, September 03, 2009

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/ya-that-was-paul-mcgrath-100044.html#ixzz0QKg12iJe

well thats my mind made up - yes!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

This coupled with this 15372387.jpg has me worried about Paul McGrath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

What's his present status regarding the booze?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

rofl - i love him though :D

read his book, lent it to my friend

it ended with how every day was a struggle and how he was off the drink

anyhoo after my friend had put the book down, he saw Sir P hammered getting money out of an atm at 3pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Neil3030 wrote: »
    What's his present status regarding the booze?

No idea but would a sober paul McGrath burst into a meeting like that?
    He's one of the shyest guys alive.

I hope I'm very wrong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Blasphemers! do not question the word of god, yes on lisbon it is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

McGrath is quite political.

He is a good friend of former PD, now independent Cllr Victor Boyhan (Blackrock Ward), and was out canvassing with him during the local elections.

Fair play to him !

Is it just me or in that picture and judging by the look on Ali's face, does it look like McGrath is trying to use Ali as a ventriliquists (Sp?) dummy?

and is that the maddest article ever, McGrath meets Ali beside anti-abortion HQ, interupts controversial anti-lisbon lobby, mumbles for a minute which is broadcast online before being threatened with security...WTF!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

Well I have seen him a few times over the last few years, mainly in Dunnes Stores in Cornelscourt, he was sober those times, least he put on a good impression of it :), and seen him once in a pub in Bray about a year ago, drinking Orange Juice,

each time he looked good, and didn't look drunk at all, hope he can stick with it...

JPA wrote: »
    No idea but would a sober paul McGrath burst into a meeting like that?
    He's one of the shyest guys alive.

I hope I'm very wrong.

Yeah that's what got me thinking this was alcohol fuelled. Hope not though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Hes still on the sauce allegedly..such a pity this man is a legend looked up to him for years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Football and politics don't mix eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

because hes so awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

ziggy wrote: »

well technically he was born in england i dont like to remember that though!

sir bob geldof is also irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

ziggy wrote: »

So's Geldof

Paul McGrath isn't an infuriating megalomaniac though.

(I wanted to say c**k but that would be against the forum charter.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

We had to call our male teachers 'sir' in school. Didn't realise it was an English thing... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

That article makes him sound like a bit of a raving tool.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

In fairness, Coir are nutjobs...

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

eirebhoy wrote: »
    We had to call our male teachers 'sir' in school. Didn't realise it was an English thing... ;)

Yeah I said sir too, it's a term of respect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Politics forum that way --->

I ain't voting, I voted on this already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Not another lisbon argument, i thought the soccer forum would be last place id see it, im voting again, simply because the government wouldnt listen to us first time round, but try to keep this out of the football forum :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I shall be voting NO to the Lisbon referendum and NO to a European federal state. Tbh, I think it's an absolute farce that we are being asked to vote on the same referendum again and it's not the first time either: that's democracy- European style, kids.

Furthermore, lackeys like Robbie Keane and old man McGrath aren't in a position to proffer any meaningful political argument and should be treated with the disdain they deserve.

I shall be voting NO to the Lisbon referendum and NO to a European federal state. Tbh, I think it's an absolute farce that we are being asked to vote on the same referendum again and it's not the first time either: that's democracy- European style, kids.

Furthermore, lackeys like Robbie Keane and old man McGrath aren't in a position to proffer any meaningful political argument and should be treated with the disdain they deserve.

as this is the soccer board this isnt a serious political thread its more about McGrath (not lisbon) and as its the soccer board i really really dont think you will find many that will agree that Paul 'God' McGrath deserves our distain.

do not take the lords name in vain ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I'd consider the Lords viewpoint on Lisbon deux more worthy then the born liars that are the discredited Pols and extremist fringe groups asking for a Yes or No tbh.

Advertisement