Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what to wear for a course

• 06-09-2009 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

I am doing a course in carlow I.T. this week, a course where you train to become a trainer- I dunno WHAT to wear. I may get a job out of this course, and my potential employers may be there so i want to impress without going overboard.... I dont know how smart to dress or how practical I may need to be but i think its theory based. I have no idea what age the others will be or how professionally they will be dressed. I dont want to go overly casual or too smart. arrrgh! HELP!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭aonfocaleile

all_smilz wrote: »
    I dont want to go overly casual or too smart. arrrgh! HELP!

Then go for smart casual - black trousers, a top and a cardigan, which would be less formal than a jacket but still smart without being over the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

If it's a course where your training to be gym instructor for example wouldn't it make sense to wear new/clean tracksuit bottoms runners and a t-shirt? It's not like you'd wear a suit to work if you got a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

If it's a course, you're not there to parade your wardrobe so relax! My best advice would be to be clean, like, dirt under your nails, greasy hair and dirty clothes can be quite off putting considering this is for work where you would be working with people. Also, I would recommend ditching anything scruffy in favour of a neat look. I don't think you need to dress like you're going for an interview OP, maybe more like you're meeting your boyfriends parents for the first time? Good luck with whatever you choose and of course good luck with the course :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

If it's theory based, and potential employers are present, then don't turn up in a tracksuit, dress well, but simple. Smart casual is the way to go. I'd think of it as an informal interview if potential employers are attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

If it's a course, you're not there to parade your wardrobe so relax! My best advice would be to be clean, like, dirt under your nails, greasy hair and dirty clothes can be quite off putting considering this is for work where you would be working with people. Also, I would recommend ditching anything scruffy in favour of a neat look. I don't think you need to dress like you're going for an interview OP, maybe more like you're meeting your boyfriends parents for the first time? Good luck with whatever you choose and of course good luck with the course :)

jesus mary and joseph who goes anywhere work related with dirt under their nails or with greasy hair.... we do have hot running water and soap in cork..... I am a casual person who likes to dress up but seeing as i've worn my work uniform (nurses) to previous interviews (as they were at my job) and this isnt an interview but still a course for what i imagine will be other professionals i didnt want to feel like a tart or an overdressed student.
    I have a trousers and jacket from Monsoon- cotton/linen in a dark green/grey that i will team with a blouse or shirt and flat shoes.... or i have navy linen trousers and a blue blouse/blue and white pinstripe shirt that i may wear. I think it'll be smart enough without being overdressed. I HOPE.

dirt under my nails indeed...

• Advertisement
Advertisement