Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

star tattoos

• 06-09-2009 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Im just wondering what people think of star tattoos and why people get them,Im prob the only one who doesnt like them and is sick to death of seeing them everywhere I go,so Im just wondering am I the only one who is thinkin like this or is there anyone who agrees with me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

there is alot of people who have star tattoos, its just one of those designs i guess, its one of those that can look nice if theres just one or 3! its just simple design but saying that i do have 21 stars on my back and one behind my ear, but i just love how they look not because everyone has one and its the thing to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

I think it depends on the tattoo. If its just like 2 stars randomly, thats one thing. If there is some actual design and planning, I think thats another story entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭littleman

Fair enough on people getting them,but wats buggin me is that when you see girls with 1tattoo just cause they look good and im only back from spain and the amount of irish guys and girls with them is mad,i dunno why there so pouplar,but it seems everywhere i look all i see is star tattoos.

i wouldnt pass too much remarks on what other people have tattooed on them tbh, its just not for you but could be for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

littleman wrote: »
    Fair enough on people getting them,but wats buggin me is that when you see girls with 1tattoo just cause they look good and im only back from spain and the amount of irish guys and girls with them is mad,i dunno why there so pouplar,but it seems everywhere i look all i see is star tattoos.

I agree. However I have seen some with some actual thought put into them :p

• Advertisement

skywards wrote: »
    I agree. However I have seen some with some actual thought put into them :p

I agree straight away,if there put into a tattoo with some taught and design then ive no problem,but 1star here and there is annoyin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Robbie444

I agree straight away,if there put into a tattoo with some taught and design then ive no problem,but 1star here and there is annoyin.

I've always liked to think of myself as being pretty alternative and not very "mainstream" but I recently got my first tattoo which is.... wait for it, 3 plain stars up my forearm and inner bicep . It only dawned on me after I got it just how common star tattoos actually are, especially on girls. To be honest though while I admit to being a bit of a snob when it comes to most things that become cliché, I still really like my star tattoos. I really want to get my next though and I want it to be something very random and a bit more "out there" than just some stars. I may also add to the stars and make it more of a pattern or something.

I don't even know why I chose stars to be honest and I just think that they do look nice and are pretty meaningless which I like. It's funny though coz a few days after I got my tattoo I met some big macho Irish brick layer on a beach in Thailand and he had a big tribal tattoo on his upper arm. He slagged me for getting stars tattooed saying that everyone has them and they are gay etc. While I agreed that they are extremely common, I found it funny that a guy who had one of the other most stereotypical tattoos was giving me slack over mine. He was just some meat head farmer who went in to a tattoo parlour and asked for a tribal tattoo of which meaning he had no clue. I have nothing against tribal tattoos at all but I just find it funny when people get random ones they pick in photographs to look tough and then think they have a big macho meaningful tattoo when they really have no fcuking clue what the tribe represents.

Different strokes for different folks I guess!

Robbie444 wrote: »
    I've always liked to think of myself as being pretty alternative and not very "mainstream" but I recently got my first tattoo which is.... wait for it, 3 plain stars up my forearm and inner bicep . It only dawned on me after I got it just how common star tattoos actually are, especially on girls. To be honest though while I admit to being a bit of a snob when it comes to most things that become cliché, I still really like my star tattoos. I really want to get my next though and I want it to be something very random and a bit more "out there" than just some stars. I may also add to the stars and make it more of a pattern or something.

I don't even know why I chose stars to be honest and I just think that they do look nice and are pretty meaningless which I like. It's funny though coz a few days after I got my tattoo I met some big macho Irish brick layer on a beach in Thailand and he had a big tribal tattoo on his upper arm. He slagged me for getting stars tattooed saying that everyone has them and they are gay etc. While I agreed that they are extremely common, I found it funny that a guy who had one of the other most stereotypical tattoos was giving me slack over mine. He was just some meat head farmer who went in to a tattoo parlour and asked for a tribal tattoo of which meaning he had no clue. I have nothing against tribal tattoos at all but I just find it funny when people get random ones they pick in photographs to look tough and then think they have a big macho meaningful tattoo when they really have no fcuking clue what the tribe represents.

Different strokes for different folks I guess!

that is another tattoo i see alot of aswell but im slightly in that catagory (sorry if i mispell words,ive had a few to many jds 2nite) but ive a trible dagger on my arm nd a small trible on my leg aswell and ive just seen a mate of mine who i havent seen in a few years and he had a few stars on hum which was annoyin and before i could as him why he got them my bus had come but i will find out soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

wouldnt really like them meself but I dont see a problem with people getting them. They get them cos they like them not because someone else might like them. Each to their own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

To each their own and all that, your always gonna see tattoos you don't like and think jaysus was yer man locked when he got that but to him it just plain deadly...

As for stars, they are common but i don't mind them, would never get them done though i think they are a tad girly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Robbie444

that is another tattoo i see alot of aswell but im slightly in that catagory (sorry if i mispell words,ive had a few to many jds 2nite) but ive a trible dagger on my arm nd a small trible on my leg aswell and ive just seen a mate of mine who i havent seen in a few years and he had a few stars on hum which was annoyin and before i could as him why he got them my bus had come but i will find out soon

To be honest with you, aside from people who actually get tribal tattoos done in foreign countries which have some sort of significance and meaning to which they were aware of before getting inked, I think that regular tribal tattoos that people get are just (if not more) common than star tattoos. Once again, I have absolutely nothing against tribal tats or anybody that chooses to get one but you have to admit, they are very cliché!

I always think that it must piss people off who have proper tribal tattoos when they see Johnny random with his big tribal tattoo over his back that he picked out of a pic from a studio in Cork. Any tribal guys out there ever feel this? Also with stars, I am pretty sure people get them simply for the reason that they look well. Lol, if somebody tried to put some meaning behind why they got a few stars on them, I'd say I would laugh most of the time! They are just one of those tattoos that some people think look cool or whatever. Remember how many people were getting Barbed Wire tattoos 10 years ago???? Similar buzz!

Robbie444 wrote: »
    To be honest with you, aside from people who actually get tribal tattoos done in foreign countries which have some sort of significance and meaning to which they were aware of before getting inked, I think that regular tribal tattoos that people get are just (if not more) common than star tattoos. Once again, I have absolutely nothing against tribal tats or anybody that chooses to get one but you have to admit, they are very cliché!

I always think that it must piss people off who have proper tribal tattoos when they see Johnny random with his big tribal tattoo over his back that he picked out of a pic from a studio in Cork. Any tribal guys out there ever feel this? Also with stars, I am pretty sure people get them simply for the reason that they look well. Lol, if somebody tried to put some meaning behind why they got a few stars on them, I'd say I would laugh most of the time! They are just one of those tattoos that some people think look cool or whatever. Remember how many people were getting Barbed Wire tattoos 10 years ago???? Similar buzz!

Good point,every1 does get them for different reassons but im sure some1 on here can come on and explain if they got the random 3star tattoos or a single 1,why they done it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 katewinston

There is a good collection here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

^ links not working.

I despise stars, ya know when ya see all those aul lads with the Tazmanian Devil on their forearms? Thats what ppl with stars will look like in years to come.

The only thing I hate more than just normal stars, are nautical stars, and the only thing that can possibly top my hate for that.. is when emo girls try to tell you.. "they're not naughty stars or whatever.. theyre PUNK stars duuuuuuh,"

evomo_bloody_rabid_badger.thumbnail.jpg

QOTSA90 wrote: »
    ^ links not working.

I despise stars, ya know when ya see all those aul lads with the Tazmanian Devil on their forearms? Thats what ppl with stars will look like in years to come.

The only thing I hate more than just normal stars, are nautical stars, and the only thing that can possibly top my hate for that.. is when emo girls try to tell you.. "they're not naughty stars or whatever.. theyre PUNK stars duuuuuuh,"

evomo_bloody_rabid_badger.thumbnail.jpg

Is there any difference between so called punk stars and normal stars or am i just been really blonde

Nautical (punk.. fuxkin grr..) star

=

nautical_star.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

I have stars going up and onto my hand and arm and have had so many people complement them, it's great. The star itself has so many meanings in religion and spiritualty, its not that much of a surprise they're so common.

I'm not a massive fan and hate seeing the one star on the neck and the like, they're not all that original. What I like about mine is that they have a shape to them. Most of them were done totally backwards to be honest and look like they were drawn by a 6yr old. I wasn't a fan at first, but they've totally grown on me, I suppose I didnt really have a choice.

I myself hate tribal, another common type of tattoo, but whatever floats your boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 maharg92

personally i cant stand star tattos id rather c almost anything instead of them i hav 1 tattoo of jesus on a cross nd de tattoist who dun it was sayin if one more person asks her to do a star on dem shed kill them nd i tink she is absolutely rite every1 is gettin dem and dey arnt even nice at least wit mine i wont luk back wen im older and regret but imagine wen ur older nd yi just c de stars 1 day nd realise wat de f**k was i tinkin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

maharg92 wrote: »
    personally i cant stand star tattos id rather c almost anything instead of them i hav 1 tattoo of jesus on a cross nd de tattoist who dun it was sayin if one more person asks her to do a star on dem shed kill them nd i tink she is absolutely rite every1 is gettin dem and dey arnt even nice at least wit mine i wont luk back wen im older and regret but imagine wen ur older nd yi just c de stars 1 day nd realise wat de f**k was i tinkin

I'm sorry, maybe if that was written in English I might pay more heed to it. :rolleyes:

I have stars, they hold personal meaning for me. I don't feel the need to explain them to anyone. I did it for me, not anyone else.

I'm not a massive fan and hate seeing the one star on the neck and the like, they're not all that original. What I like about mine is that they have a shape to them. Most of them were done totally backwards to be honest and look like they were drawn by a 6yr old. I wasn't a fan at first, but they've totally grown on me, I suppose I didnt really have a choice.

same as mine, shouldnt have went to same guy i guess :rolleyes: ive yet to get mine fixed though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I'm of the "each to their own" brigade.

In general, people get tattoos that they think look good, because they like the design. I don't see any reason to dislike stars just because they're popular.

Stars are aesthetically very nice looking, if people like the look of them, why not get them tattooed?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

Personally I hate generic tattoos, but as with everything else, people who like to get tattoo'd, do follow trends and go through phases...
    At the moment it's star tattoos, and it seems to be mainly girls between the ages of 17-22 that are getting them recently. I remember about four years back the 'trend' was butterflies. And I'm sure there were many before that, and will be many after that. I do like the shape of a star, and will admit a few years ago I wanted one, but I was only 15, and was going with what I thought at the time was 'cool'. Now I've got a bit more sense, and any tattoo I get will be drawn out personally for me by a friend, or myself, and will have some form of meaning to it.

So yeah, the reason so many people have them? Trend followers.
    Oh how I miss originality...

(And yes, I do know aside from the majority of people, there are some people who get stars tattood because they have meaning, or that they got them before the trend because they personally liked them.)

~Pipz,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

swallows are the new stars. stars were the news kanji. kanji were the new LBT. LBT were the new dolphins.

My problem isn't with the star, but the fact that a great many people who get them are getting them because they saw them on other people. That simply isn't a good enough reason on its own, even if its combined with a retroactive rationale ala Miami Ink

hot2def wrote: »
    ..even if its combined with a retroactive rationale ala Miami Ink

Tbh thats annoying me now, people are afraid to get a tattoo without having a massive tear-jerking story behind it, and when you (read I) get a tattoo with absolutely NO story behind it, but rather because I just felt I liked the design and wanted it on my body.. I get LYNCHED!!!

Im all for tattoos/piercings etc becoming more accepted, but the sooner they become completely blended in so theyre not a fashion statement any more.. the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

hot2def wrote: »
    swallows are the new stars. stars were the news kanji. kanji were the new LBT. LBT were the new dolphins.

My problem isn't with the star, but the fact that a great many people who get them are getting them because they saw them on other people. That simply isn't a good enough reason on its own, even if its combined with a retroactive rationale ala Miami Ink

Just wondering - do you get a pain in your hole tattooing the latest fad again and again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

Teferi wrote: »
    Just wondering - do you get a pain in your hole tattooing the latest fad again and again?

no. A well excuted line is its own reward. But I do feel bad sometimes for not talking someone out of a very common tattoo, I always feel I should have gone that little bit further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

All of you people who've said you're ''annoyed'' by what other people decide to have tattooed onto themselves really need to get a hobby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

personally - as a fan of tattoos without a tattoo myself - i love stars.

like ALL tattoos though, they can be done badly and they can be done excellently.

one particular poster who's posted on this thread that has a stars tattoo and i saw in the picture thread is quite possibly the best stars tattoo i've ever seen.

MizzLolly wrote: »
    All of you people who've said you're ''annoyed'' by what other people decide to have tattooed onto themselves really need to get a hobby.

People have made a horrific choice in deciding to follow a trend, it is our duty as assholes to belittle and degrade them at every opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

QOTSA90 wrote: »
    People have made a horrific choice in deciding to follow a trend, it is our duty as assholes to belittle and degrade them at every opportunity.

No it isn't.

Advertisement