Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross Border Bank a/c

Options
  • 06-09-2009 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows about opening a bank a/c in the north. I live near the border and a northern a/c and credit card would be very handy. Are they allowed or would I need an address up there to get one?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

You can legitimately have a NI bank account with your own address in ROI. However, it's quite an ordeal to set up and you'll need to make an appointment in advance with the bank, maybe even 2-3 weeks ahead. There will be an interview and documentation required, so check what they want before you go. I had to have one in order to be paid for occasional cross-border work that I do and I remember being asked about this at the interview and why I needed the account.
    I opted for a savings type account rather than a current account in the end and I don't have a credit card there - if you have one on your main account here, there's no real need. I suspect that if you are not employed in NI you will find it difficult to get a credit card. I know someone who has been living AND working in a steady job in NI for a year now, saving regularly and paying all bills, but they are still waiting for a credit card to be approved :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

Thanks for the info babaloushka.

Advertisement