Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ten best and worst things about being irish

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

In reply to sense of humour, you don't have to go as far as McCourt or O'Casey... I was reading this thread last Friday while watching the Late Late Show...was in stitches reading some of the comments...especially one about 'doing Sharon Corr if she had a mute button'... very funny! :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61958762&highlight=mute#post61958762

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭gavney

Id agree with most of the people's lists here already, so I'll just put up a list of Irish people that I'm proud of:

1. James Joyce
    2. Bono
    3. Jack Lynch
    4. Daniel Day Lewis (well, I don't know if he's considered full Irish)
    5. Damien Rice and Lisa Hannigan
    6. Dermot Morgan (I can't believe nobody has mentioned Father Ted yet!)
    7. Michael O'Leary (love him or loathe him- he's at the very least interesting)
    8. Mary Robinson
    9. Robert Boyle (of Boyle's Law)
    10. Brian O'Driscoll
    11. Shane McGowan
    12. Veronica Guerin

Irish people I'm NOT so proud of

1. Michelle Smith
    2. Jerry Adams
    3. Colin Farrell (I think he's a pretty good actor at times, but Christ he annoys me in interviews)
    4. Brian McFadden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    3. paddys day

The St Patricks day celebration as we know it know oiginated in America. We imported it.
    4. cadburys!

Cadburys are a brish company I think youll find.
    6. irish music

Do you means The Corrs, Westlife and Richie Kavenagh
    7. irish movies like the van, the snapper, intermission, into the west! to name a few!

Mostly made by Briish production companies, with british money.
    8. drinking!:D
    This is juvinalle, most Irish people have a serious problem with alchol

10. shamrock shakes

Remind me again, which country are Mc Donalds from again.

I must admit I mostly agree with Darko on this. Your mam pops you out in Ireland, England, Switzerland, France, etc, etc. So what ?, your proud you, had no choice in the matter. You twat.
    Are you proud your a man and not a women, or are you proud you have black hair instead of red or blond ?

More importantly Ireland is a horrible backward place full of xenophobia and bog men. With a serious inferity problem when it comes to the English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Walsh wrote: »
    The best thing about being Irish is: not being English.
    That's the usual knee jerk reply that's sure to get you a few thanks . No we dont have to like the English but ask the English what's the best thing about being English and they might say not being Scottish .Ask the Dutch what's best about being Dutch and they'll say not being German .The Canadians will tell ya they dont want to be refered to as American etc , and so on but guess what? all of those races will have their good ,bad and ugly people, in all shapes and forms , including the Irish .
    villager wrote: »
    why does it always come down to this level:confused:
    Good question

I can't be proud of being Irish on account of me being German.
    Could I be excused from this class and be proud of being German instead?
    :cool:
    I am sure you are as proud to be Geman as any person of any race including the English ,it's not just an Irish thing

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

El Siglo wrote: »
    Our sense of humour is probably more best examined in our literature, just read anything by Frank McCourt, Brendan Behan, James Joyce, Roddy Doyle etc... our mannerisms are what they are but they're certainly not unique.

Possibly, but we jump on bandwagons, e.g. soccer in the late 80s/early 90s, rugby about 9 years ago, cricket about 2 years ago etc...

This is a myth, as Thatcher said "there's no such thing as society" adn unfortunately this is what Ireland has devolved into; the death of Gemeinschaft and the growth of Gesellschaft. What you describe as parish mentality is a product of a bygone zeitgeist, one our parents were more associated with.

I seriously doubt this, ever gone into a rural pub, or even an urban one? Again, this part of the zeitgeist I've mentioned, de Valera-esque cultural production.

Yes, I'm proud of a bloated soul-less, self righteous corporation such as the GAA.

Dead, useless language, that is now associated with cultural and nationalist superiority "oh I can speak Irish fluently so therefore I'm the true inheritor of the Irish nationalist ideolgy and dream", the Irish language is now the language of cultural and aesthetic fascism. "Our language" should be the recognised language of the people, the English, the Chinese, the Polish languages not this dodo misnomer of pseudo-nationalism.

Again, if you believe this then you'll believe anything! This is probably the most stupid statements you've managed to conjure in this post.

Debatable at present...

Yes, and thank God they are, for Heaven only knows what they would do. The Gardai are in themselves living proof of the de Valera zeitgeist, they learn rudimentary policing in Templemore, and then spend the next 15 to 20 years trying to come to terms with the growing problems of human trafficking, drugs, gangland crime etc... the Gardai are a 1970s force trying to deal with 21st century problems.

Same thing as the language assertion.

Reasons I become embarrassed or not proud of being Irish

Our transport system... every where.

I think this is best seen in our politicians as opposed to the general public.

A rather dubious assertion.

Ever been to Poland?

Same could be said about England, Scotland, Wales, the US etc...
    6) Irish television. Seriously the only thing I have ever watched with some degree of interest is Paths to Freedom and the Family.[/quote]

I agree with you here.

I abhor this term, awful, awful, awful!

Fair enough, this is a matter of taste.

Agreed.

The most intelligent observation you've made in this post!;)[/quote]

I dont want to hijack amos13's thread. The only point I will argue with is the Cricket and bandwagon thing there. I remember a conversation two years ago with a good friend of mine when I jokingly asked him are you watching the cricket. His response was priceless. "Id rather sleep with OLeary in the grave"! All the rest have opened the debate ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TriceMarie

I love getting free drinks in bars on holiday when the owner finds out i'm irish :p

I love being asked if I want a holiday romance when they find out I'm Irish :rolleyes::p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

starn wrote: »
    The St Patricks day celebration as we know it know oiginated in America. We imported it.

Cadburys are a brish company I think youll find.

Do you means The Corrs, Westlife and Richie Kavenagh

Mostly made by Briish production companies, with british money.

This is juvinalle, most Irish people have a serious problem with alchol

Remind me again, which country are Mc Donalds from again.

I must admit I mostly agree with Darko on this. Your mam pops you out in Ireland, England, Switzerland, France, etc, etc. So what ?, your proud you, had no choice in the matter. You twat.
    Are you proud your a man and not a women, or are you proud you have black hair instead of red or blond ?

More importantly Ireland is a horrible backward place full of xenophobia and bog men. With a serious inferity problem when it comes to the English.

ok
    1. yes but Ireland is the only country it makes sense to have it in imo

2. okay but chocolate tastes the nicest here than any other place iv ever been to

3. yes i do, also u2, bewitched, bellefire, saw doctors

4. meh, theyre still famous and enjoyable because they are about general irish culture

5. u say alcohol problem, i say a damn good time! :D

6. yes but they wouldnt have shamrock shakes in mcds if it wasnt for us i would say!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭amos13

5. u say alcohol problem, i say a damn good time! :D
    hehe, i concur!

Listen, can you stop making this point. It's getting boring. Ok, we get it, technically, achievements made by other Irish people, aren't our own achievements, and while I may not be particularly talented, other Irish people have been. Ok, so it's not a personal pride.

But I do share a certain amount of association with Irish achievenments. And YES, that's simply because we were born in the same country. You have to admit, that there are some things about our persoanlities that tie us, and distinguish us from other nationalities (both good and bad). You can't deny that we're heavy drinkers (which can be a good and bad thing)- the statistics are there to prove it. You can't deny that we've a history of being netural in wars. You can't deny that we have a disproportionate number of successful musicians relative to our population size.

Whether feeling proud about that is illogical in your mind doesn't really matter. The point is that it's a feeling that most people posting on this thread feel. If you want to call it something other than "pride"- fair enough, but I think you're just being pedantic- cause most other people seem to understand it. You can't tell people how they feel. We feel pride for our countries achievements and feel shame for it's downfall. If you think that's irrational, then please make a different thread in the pedantic people's forum.

If you really want this to be a technically correct thread- we could change "what makes you pride to be Irish" to "what attributes that are predominant in Irish people or their achievements do you LIKE and therefore have a slightly greater likelihood to share than people from other countries (even though in reality you may be a completely talentless delusional waster"- but I think it's longwinded- and most people seem to be able to comprehend original title, even if you can't

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

TriceMarie wrote: »
    I love being asked if I want a holiday romance when they find out I'm Irish :rolleyes::p

Out of interest are they Irish too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

I can't be proud of being Irish on account of me being German.
    Could I be excused from this class and be proud of being German instead?
    :cool:

Ich bin stolz, ein Deutscher zu sein!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TriceMarie

Seillejet wrote: »
    Out of interest are they Irish too.

:p Nope!Spainish etc..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'm proud of the GAA, there's nothing better than the atmosphere in Croke Park on a match day.
    I also love Irish dancing and don't where i'd be without it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

4. cadburys!
    Say what? Assuming you're talking about the chocolate, that's a brummy invention :P

As a completely impartial observer, I can't comment on "being irish", but the things I admire/like about the Irish (as a whole) are:
    1. Strong sense of family
    2. Great sense of humour (honestly)
    3. Laid back attitude
    4. On the whole, friendly (not everyone obviously, but nearly every irish person I've ever encountered has been good company/a decent person)
    5. We used to own you

(I'm joking!)

I think boards is quite a good showcase of the Irish - obviously there's a few nutters and weirdos, but on the whole, sound, funny, intelligent people

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I'm proud of Boards.ie, esp AH.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

Ich bin stolz, ein Deutscher zu sein!!!

Yes, I know, still a touchy subject. In the 70's and 80's it would have been unheard of to hear anyone than an old or neo nazi say that (shudder).
    There will always be a stigma attached to being German and even being proud of it. There even will always be gangs of neo nazis and skinheads, though I would consider these people the absolute dregs of society, human garbage, they would make any scumbag in Ireland look like a proper gentleman and don't forget, they are a tiny minority of dickless, hopeless, brainless, useless, knuckle dragging, thick browed, sloping gaited, vacant eyed, slack jawed sacks of monkeysh1t.
    But there are several generations of (very decent) Germans who did grow up after 1945 and you certainly can't blame them for the sins of their fathers.
    I don't see them picking up a sturmgewehr any time soon. The only shooting they do is on the playstation (or whatever the devil these kids are playing these days).
    So I think as long as no one mentions the war, it is nowadays permitted to be a tiny little bit proud of what Germany has achieved over the course of history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

gavney wrote: »
    Listen, can you stop making this point. It's getting boring. Ok, we get it, technically, achievements made by other Irish people, aren't our own achievements, and while I may not be particularly talented, other Irish people have been. Ok, so it's not a personal pride.

But I do share a certain amount of association with Irish achievenments. And YES, that's simply because we were born in the same country. You have to admit, that there are some things about our persoanlities that tie us, and distinguish us from other nationalities (both good and bad). You can't deny that we're heavy drinkers (which can be a good and bad thing)- the statistics are there to prove it. You can't deny that we've a history of being netural in wars. You can't deny that we have a disproportionate number of successful musicians relative to our population size.

Whether feeling proud about that is illogical in your mind doesn't really matter. The point is that it's a feeling that most people posting on this thread feel. If you want to call it something other than "pride"- fair enough, but I think you're just being pedantic- cause most other people seem to understand it. You can't tell people how they feel. We feel pride for our countries achievements and feel shame for it's downfall. If you think that's irrational, then please make a different thread in the pedantic people's forum.

If you really want this to be a technically correct thread- we could change "what makes you pride to be Irish" to "what attributes that are predominant in Irish people or their achievements do you LIKE and therefore have a slightly greater likelihood to share than people from other countries (even though in reality you may be a completely talentless delusional waster"- but I think it's longwinded- and most people seem to be able to comprehend original title, even if you can't

Well if that isn't a bitchy post I haven't seen one! Can you please stop rebutting that point :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Yes, I know, still a touchy subject. In the 70's and 80's it would have been unheard of to hear anyone than an old or neo nazi say that (shudder).
    There will always be a stigma attached to being German and even being proud of it. There even will always be gangs of neo nazis and skinheads, though I would consider these people the absolute dregs of society, human garbage, they would make any scumbag in Ireland look like a proper gentleman and don't forget, they are a tiny minority of dickless, hopeless, brainless, useless, knuckle dragging, thick browed, sloping gaited, vacant eyed, slack jawed sacks of monkeysh1t.
    But there are several generations of (very decent) Germans who did grow up after 1945 and you certainly can't blame them for the sins of their fathers.
    I don't see them picking up a sturmgewehr any time soon. The only shooting they do is on the playstation (or whatever the devil these kids are playing these days).
    So I think as long as no one mentions the war, it is nowadays permitted to be a tiny little bit proud of what Germany has achieved over the course of history.

I actually love Germany,I hope i didn't make a bad first impression :pac:

Ok so shall we have a look at some of that hold up as being uniquely Irish

That were not English.

Wow Walsh what a wit you are. Christ Im ashamed to even think we share the same nationality
    Has a good education system.
    [\quote]
    Comaped to where Riddle, Afghanastan, Eirtria, North Korea. Because its certainly not a “good” system in compassion to trh German, Britsh or French
    That we've never been in any major wars.

Yes because we lack a moral backbone, sitting on the fence. Turing away jewish refuges in WW2, returing British airmen who crashed landed, and Dev offering our best to the German Ambassoder when Hitler killed himself

3) The parish mentality that is still out.

So are xenophobia and outright racismism is worth celebrating now, is it ?
    6) Our language.

Which one, would that be. The language you have written you post in ???
    Or the other ne very few people can speak
    Punching above our wait economically for years
    How exactly did we do that. As far as recall, we just borrowed billions from foreign banks, that we had no way of repaying.

I find the whole concept of nationality small minded and repugnet. Im sorry but your proud of something you have no control over should I be proud that I have hazel eyes or black hair, that im 5 9 and dyslexic.

I know some point earlier that the thread is really a list of things what makes you proud to be Irish. But to be frank we have very little to be proud off. A lack of moral backbone, xenophobia, an inferiority complex with England, a poor educational system, a worse health care system, political corruption is rife, a serious drink problem and a terriable sence of entitilement

Well if that isn't a bitchy post I haven't seen one! Can you please stop rebutting that point :p

Fight fire with fire I say. Only way to respond to several bitchy posts is with the mother of all bitchy posts!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

brummytom wrote: »
    Say what? Assuming you're talking about the chocolate, that's a brummy invention :P

I think boards is quite a good showcase of the Irish - obviously there's a few nutters and weirdos, but on the whole, sound, funny, intelligent people

Ok, the chocolate I have an issue with it. Maybe I'm just a food snob, but, same as the sausages, Cadbury's should technically be called a "chocolate flavoured snack bar", since it mostly contains hydrogenated vegetable fat, reconstituted palm oil solids, lecithin, stabilizers, several E numbers and about 90% sugar.
    The Irish need to learn a lot about proper food.

But agree on the movies, no matter if they where made through the British system (like father Ted), but the idea behind them is uniquely Irish.
    I went down, The Commitments, The Snapper, Man About Dog, Intermission, In Bruges, How Harry became A Tree (almost all of Europe worked on that one and it was based on a story from the far East, but if you watch it you might agree that it has a unique Irish feel to it.
    And many more.

This is after hours, by definition the Nutters and Weirdos page :P

I know some point earlier that the thread is really a list of things what makes you proud to be Irish. But to be frank we have very little to be proud off. A lack of moral backbone, xenophobia, an inferiority complex with England, a poor educational system, a worse health care system, political corruption is rife, a serious drink problem and a terriable sence of entitilement

Fair enough- but is there really nothing about Ireland that you like?

Most of the negatives you've pointed out are matched by other nationalities, or even substituted by something worse.

Ok, so we're xenophobic to a degree, but how many countries aren't? I mean, how many countries have responded 100% positively to a massive influx of foreign people. And personally, I think the conviction that "Irish people are racist" is overstated. I don't see any evidence that we're more racist than most other nationalities. Not that I condone the small amount that there is. It's just that the influx of foreign people occurred much later for us than for, say, England, so it took us time to adjust.

And I may be wrong, but I really think the anti-English thing is very rare, and generally considered juvenile by most Irish people, and a real embarrassment. Just like 99% of people are embarrassed by the IRA.

Do you really think our educational system is poor? Why's that? I'm sure there's plenty of flaws but I doubt it ranks poorly among the EU.

I agree that the healthcare system is quite flawed though. Certainly not something to be proud of per se, but not something I'm particularly ashamed of.

And yes, our political system is rife with corruption, and seems to have been for a very long time, for some reason.

Which one, would that be. The language you have written you post in ???
    Or the other ne very few people can speak

Ok, so we weren't stupid enough to isolate ourselves by clinging to a language that only we could speak? Ok, fair enough, other European countries held onto their languages, while adopting English simultaneously, so that's a fair point. But, IMO it would have been pointless for us to do it.
    However, I still think it's a beautiful language, and liked learning it in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 2468

Id agree with most of the people's lists here already, so I'll just put up a list of Irish people that I'm proud of:

1. James Joyce
    2. Bono
    3. Jack Lynch
    4. Daniel Day Lewis (well, I don't know if he's considered full Irish)
    5. Damien Rice and Lisa Hannigan
    6. Dermot Morgan (I can't believe nobody has mentioned Father Ted yet!)
    7. Michael O'Leary (love him or loathe him- he's at the very least interesting)
    8. Mary Robinson
    9. Robert Boyle (of Boyle's Law)
    10. Brian O'Driscoll
    11. Shane McGowan
    12. Veronica Guerin

Irish people I'm NOT so proud of

1. Michelle Smith
    2. Jerry Adams
    3. Colin Farrell (I think he's a pretty good actor at times, but Christ he annoys me in interviews)
    4. Brian McFadden

You obviously don't know that much about him.

Fair enough- but is there really nothing about Ireland that you like?

There are a lot of things I like about Ireland. Yes Irish people may of excelled in some areas. But no more so then anyone else from any other country, and have been bettered in every case I can think of. I think we are mediocre at best. Why celebrate medocrity.
    There is nothing there to compell me to be proud to be Irish. But looking at posts like Walshs and others I can say Im not proud to be Irish. In fact Im down right ashamed of it.
    I don't see any evidence that we're more racist than most other nationalities. Not that I condone the small amount that there is. It's just that the influx of foreign people occurred much later for us than for, say, England, so it took us time to adjust.

Its a fair point. But Ive never met a English person or anyone of any other nationality boast about how open welcoming there country is, or how its the land of a thousand welcomes. Ask any tradesman his view on Poles or taxidriver there thoughts on Nigerians and youll find out very quickly how welcoming we are.
    Do you really think our educational system is poor?

Yes
    I agree that the healthcare system is quite flawed though. Certainly not something to be proud of per se, but not something I'm particularly ashamed of.

WELL YOU SHOULD BE

2468 wrote: »
    You obviously don't know that much about him.

Actually, in all honesty, I don't. What I know, which is limited, I don't like.

Enlighten me please:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

But you can hardly be proud that you are Irish if you were born here. That's like saying that you're proud of having 8 fingers and 2 thumbs.

People in Cavan/Monaghan are proud of that

• Registered Users Posts: 22 2468

Actually, in all honesty, I don't. What I know, which is limited, I don't like.

Enlighten me please:)

Well first of all he spells his name with a 'G' :) and secondly he played a major role in bringing peace to the north of Ireland.

There are a lot of things I like about Ireland. Yes Irish people may of excelled in some areas. But no more so then anyone else from any other country, and have been bettered in every case I can think of. I think we are mediocre at best. Why celebrate medocrity.

Ok, fair enough. It would be very difficult to say absolutely that Irish people have excelled more than other nationalities in any particular area. I think that relative to our population size we've been incredibly successful in some areas- music for example. Sinead O'Connor, U2, Damien Rice, The Coors to name but a few.
    Ok, so Manchester has probably produced the same amount of talent- and it's only a city- but equally, if I was from Manchester, I'd be proud of Manchester music.

I could just have a biased vantage point about Irish music though. And maybe we're not the best, but we're up there.
    There is nothing there to compell me to be proud to be Irish. But looking at posts like Walshs and others I can say Im not proud to be Irish. In fact Im down right ashamed of it.

Are you referring to an anti-English post? If so, then yeah, I'm ashamed too.
    However, I'm also ashamed of the negativity about some Irish achievements that alot of people are posting. It's similar to the Bono-bashing that Irish people seem to love. He's one of the most talented pop/rock musicians ever and we seem to constantly knock him for shaking hands with the Pope. If I were him- I'd probably use my fame to shake hands with famous people too!

• Advertisement

Yes

Ok, Care to elaborate?

Advertisement