Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GPS tracking of public bus services

• 06-09-2009 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

Would it be feasible for this type of system to be introduced in Ireland?

I think this would be quite useful for city services especially due to delays caused by traffic. It would enable and encourage for efficient use of the public bus system. There is nothing as frustrating as sitting in a bus shelter in the freezing cold waiting for a bus that is stuck in traffic somewhere or not even on route.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭di2772

Thats just too sensible an idea for ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭The Skulls

Dublin Bus are in the midst of piloting a scheme doing exactly that & its expected to be rolled out in full next year. Can't find the link offhand though. I'm sure that the bus drivers on here will be able to clarify this (assuming they've been told about it that is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Cleopatra12

Bus Eireann are using something similar too but its based on real time.. Its on thier site under Real time information.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Bus Eireann are using something similar too but its based on real time.. Its on thier site under Real time information.

The upcoming DB system is also GPS based.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Will Bus Eireann do this for local city services. I had a look at the real time bus information and it is really only intercity services that they describe and these services are fairly regularly on time as well. It would be much better if the did this for city services and possibly had a display at each bus stop indicating when the next bus would arrive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

The Skulls wrote: »
    Dublin Bus are in the midst of piloting a scheme doing exactly that & its expected to be rolled out in full next year. Can't find the link offhand though. I'm sure that the bus drivers on here will be able to clarify this (assuming they've been told about it that is)
    AFAIK. it's been rolled out on the 123's this week. also i belive there was something similar tried years ago on the lucan road where there were screens similar to the luas ones showing exactly how many minutes the next bus would be arriving at a particular stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

The initial element of this scheme will be to provide the depots with AVL (Automatic Vehicle Location) which is what is about to be rolled out in Summerhill depot with the buses on the 123 route.

This will then extend to the rest of the network.

The provision of real time passenger information at bus stops is to be the responsibility of Dublin City Council (apparently to avoid any suggestion of favouritism with regard to Dublin Bus over other operators).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

http://www.utrack.com/gps/index.php Flybus

also Aircoach do it (display won't work with Firefox)

So it is being done by the private operators.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

KC61 wrote: »
    The initial element of this scheme will be to provide the depots with AVL (Automatic Vehicle Location) which is what is about to be rolled out in Summerhill depot with the buses on the 123 route.

However I hope an online map and API of the service will be made available immediately.

Unlike signs, it should be doable for relatively little cost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

trad wrote: »
    http://www.utrack.com/gps/index.php Flybus

also Aircoach do it (display won't work with Firefox)

So it is being done by the private operators.
    urbus have it aswell through utrack although it wont let me post a link to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Cleopatra12

Was told today that Dublin City Council are providing 500 screens to show how mins to the Bus arrival. Also, this info will be availabe on your mobile phone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

This can only be a positive step for dublin transport :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭markpb

where?

Front page, big button 'Try our new real time information' links to this page

Advertisement