Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you dislike about Metal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I think the term "progressive" when applied to Opeth means more that they are hugely influenced by progressive rock of the 70s as opposed to being actually progressive in terms of developing music as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Patricide wrote: »
    We did ask them, there answer was metal just doesn't do the numbers anymore.

That's pretty ridiculous, I'm sure metal is just as popular at the moment as pop music.:(
    jpm4 wrote: »
    The fact that there doesn't to be anything really new or exciting happening in the genre anymore - there is nothing that is really shaping the sound like Death or Black metal back in the early to mid 90s, everything just sounds like genres cut and pasted together now. The genre seems kinda tired to me, but I guess that would depend on how long you have been listening to it.

I haven'nt discovered any new good bands in ages, apart from some truly excellent new trad goth rock bands, but absolutely nothing as regards metal. I can't stand any of the new metal bands like Lamb of God, Devildriver, Mastadon and Turisas. Of lately of been discovering a lot old bands like Bathory, Celtic Frost, Tiamat, The Damned, Scorpions and Venom.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Alrighty, this might be a controversial question, but in all seriousness, what is it you dislike in general about Metal?

For me, what I dislike the most, is the production. Often times, there's nearly no low-end, the drums can sound tinny and you can't hear the bass. I hate it when I pick up an album and it sounds like that. There's loads of running jokes about Metallica's And Justice For All album specifically about the lack of bass, and you think producers would've copped that the whole thin, tinny sounding metal thing just doesn't work. Give us some low end for crying out loud!

I've said it before, I think Enslaved's Monumension album has one of the best productions I've heard on a Metal album, it's raw, it's unpolished, but what's so great about it is that the bass absolutely roars! It sounds so much heavier, so much more powerful than a lot of other albums where the bass is seemingly cut out.

That's how powerful Metal can be if you leave the bass in.

Compare the above to this:

The bass drums just sound puny, I really hate that clicky kind of sound. Just doesn't sound heavy at all.

So, what about you? What is it that bothers you about Metal?

Do you mean bass frequencies or bass guitars? Because I can't really hear the kick drums at all.

To my ears, the following has a bass-rich mix:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

Kess73 wrote: »
    Another thing I hate about metal is not based on sound, but on people. Specifically people who seem to have to go out of their way to prove how "metal" they are.

When it is a kid doing it I can take it as that is just immaturity, and once they open their eyes to how much cool music there is out there, they normally calm down. I am thinking more along the lines of the 30yo who cannot stand any other music because it is not metal. Who rarely seems to know what is out and who is who in terms of bands, but he is too metal to care.

That. Nothing I hate more than in-your-face metal heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I hate the negative stigma attatched to metal. I love all genres of music...pop, dance, rap, indie, stuff from musicals, and of course metal. But when people ask you what kind of music you like, and you reply with metal their reactions are usually either pretty dirisive or sort of puzzled smirks. Nobody gives this kind of music a chance just because it's not on the radio or music TV, and I think it's sad.
    I think one of the reasons for this could be the in-your-face metalheads everyone sees around the place, dressed all in black with dozens of chains hanging off of them. Do fans of rap go out every day decked in bling and those ridiculous grill-sunglasses, or fans of dance wear luminous tracksuits? Not very often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    I hate the negative stigma attatched to metal. I love all genres of music...pop, dance, rap, indie, stuff from musicals, and of course metal. But when people ask you what kind of music you like, and you reply with metal their reactions are usually either pretty dirisive or sort of puzzled smirks. Nobody gives this kind of music a chance just because it's not on the radio or music TV, and I think it's sad.
    I think one of the reasons for this could be the in-your-face metalheads everyone sees around the place, dressed all in black with dozens of chains hanging off of them. Do fans of rap go out every day decked in bling and those ridiculous grill-sunglasses, or fans of dance wear luminous tracksuits? Not very often.
    Il plus 1 this but i have far too often seen rap people dressing ridiculously too, not to mention acting ridiculous. The Gangstas for them are just as bad and greatly outnumber the metal hard man.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Patricide wrote: »
    Il plus 1 this but i have far too often seen rap people dressing ridiculously too, not to mention acting ridiculous. The Gangstas for them are just as bad and greatly outnumber the metal hard man.
    Really? Maybe I'm hanging around in the wrong ghettoes...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Kess73 wrote: »

I also hate when bands I love make tits of themselves in interviews by trying to be hard ass middle age men (Kerry King I'm looking at you at lot at this point, and Scott Ian is catching up), but as long as the music is good I can usually get over this one.

Have you seen this ejits new idea?:
    hanneman1zo5.jpg

The Heineken symbol but with Hanneman written instead. The worst thing is that he obviously thinks its genius!! Hes got it on his amps too!

Also he is really starting to wear his age badly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Have you seen this ejits new idea?:
    hanneman1zo5.jpg

The Heineken symbol but with Hanneman written instead. The worst thing is that he obviously thinks its genius!! Hes got it on his amps too!

Also he is really starting to wear his age badly!

What.. he's 53? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

I hate the way some vocalists can ruin a band for you even if you love the rest of the music.

I know you could say this for all music but metal singers tend to be more aggressive and it can be harder than normal to ignore the singing.

For Example...

For me Arch Enemy are my ideal band music-wise but I think the singer just ruins them. I can barely listen to them.

Another example is Megadeth - great music but I wish dave mustaine had of stuck to the guitar.

Another would be Nevermore - hate the singer but love the music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

semi tonal and devils interval progressions, they're were cool originally but now that they've been used by every metal band in every metal song for 30 years its kinda gotten old now.

Also you have a song and then someone starts "singing" in a screamo style, very offputting. I guess one problem I can identify in general is sacrificing any depth in the song in order to appear really tough and badass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I among other things, dislike genres such as "sludge metal", it bores the crap outa me (bands like sunn o)) ) for example)

Also i hate popularized "metal" like avenged sevenfold, linkin park, limp bizkit etc. They arent metal, but some kids/teens seem to think they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Max Power1 wrote: »
    I among other things, dislike genres such as "sludge metal", it bores the crap outa me (bands like sunn o)) ) for example)

Ha ha, I actually really like Sunn O))) etc. Each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

I love the loud aspect of metal, the amplification and distortion of guitar. Personally I really don't like distorted vocals :( It sometimes actually scares me and it really irritates me. It take the enjoyment out of the instrumental for me. I don't know why.. honestly, it just kills it for me. I don't mind the growl or the scream, it's just the blurred (what sounds like) shouting. I haven't got anything against the distorted vocal, it's just not for me. I have tried endlessly to ''get into'' it but, no... nada! Maybe it's a female thing, I don't know.. It scares me! :(

damonjewel wrote: »
    Ha ha, I actually really like Sunn O))) etc. Each to their own I suppose.
    Each to their own indeed! I like bands with growled/distorted vocals, yet half the people here at least, have mentioned it here as something they dont like about metal

And also i NEVER thought I'd see a thread in rock/metal where jeff hahneman was described as "this eejit"!

Sunn O))) are amazing. Probably the most intense live band out there.

Actually, seeing your Deicide sig, I've a Sunn O))) and Glen Benton story. When Sunn O))) played their first gig here a few years ago, they played an afternoon show as the venue was double booked for Deicide (who played that night). While hanging around in the main bar waiting for Sunn O))) to finish soundchecking, I was sitting down having a pint when someone came in and sat next to me at the bar. When Sunn O))) started soundchecking, Whelans started shaking from the sheer power of the band. The guy next to me completely freaked out and seemed to be absolutely terrified by the racket. I turned around and it was Glen Benton. Evidently some bands are just too heavy for Benton.

John wrote: »
    Sunn O))) are amazing. Probably the most intense live band out there.

Actually, seeing your Deicide sig, I've a Sunn O))) and Glen Benton story. When Sunn O))) played their first gig here a few years ago, they played an afternoon show as the venue was double booked for Deicide (who played that night). While hanging around in the main bar waiting for Sunn O))) to finish soundchecking, I was sitting down having a pint when someone came in and sat next to me at the bar. When Sunn O))) started soundchecking, Whelans started shaking from the sheer power of the band. The guy next to me completely freaked out and seemed to be absolutely terrified by the racket. I turned around and it was Glen Benton. Evidently some bands are just too heavy for Benton.
    Sunn O)) remind me of what fr dick byrne said about Ted and Dougals song in the Father Ted Song for Europe episode, "its the same note over and over agian". Definetly not my cup of tea. The only album ive heard by them is Black One, I dont even know if thats their best or worst album. Its just noise to me, seems like someone got one of those fake birds that nod up and down and put it next to a guitar and see what comes out.

Cool story though, meeting Glenn Benton!

Sunn O)) remind me of what fr dick byrne said about Ted and Dougals song in the Father Ted Song for Europe episode, "its the same note over and over agian".

Heheh, that's what I love about them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I like Sunn O, they remind me of an open courtyard level in Quake for some reason. Perfect music for Lovecraftian doom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

First time poster in metal, long time lurker. Firstly a really good question. As a bit of a metal veteran at this stage(34) I've outgrown a lot of the stuff I'm gonna rant about.

Anyway the whole unwashed, unkempt look and wearing clothes that simply don't come close to fitting you. You can actually have long hair and it doesn't have to look like Robinson Crusoe wearing black.

The satanic thing, considering metal is about 40 years old it ain't really the devils tool for destroying young minds any more, I'm sure this is being blamed on something/someone else(I haven't a clue about pop/modern music so I can't think of anyone).

A previous poster said something about being hard to find new metal bands and I've got to agree. Up until I left college pretty much all my mates were into rock/metal to some degree so it was easy to get into different bands/music etc, now not at all. The last cd I bought was the darkness, one way ticket to hell and back. God it was terrible, glad I only paid a fiver for it. It's like a bit of publicity is selling out.

I must post a make some recommendatons thread.

As for the music, I guess the repitition, the power chord has a lot to answer for. Take motorhead whom I like, but ffs, 1234 and straight into it gets a bit tedious. Another cd I have, a band called Saliva, and every song starts with slow picking with loads of echo with whispered singing and then into the main song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I really dont like the screaming or distorted vocals. I know that rules out whole genres but I just dont like it at all.

I am old though...........

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

one word for this, anser is

METALIRELAND!!!

ill say no more .

boards is great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

one word for this, anser is

METALIRELAND!!!

ill say no more .

boards is great

You've obviously got to be taking the piss :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I wouldn't be so sure (unless you're taking the piss about him taking the piss :P). I discovered that site a few years ago and there are quite a few elitists on there. Now it's quite possible that things have changed for the better in the meantime but my experiences were very negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

only thing taking the piss is that site ,the way people go on on it is ridiculous.
    and the mods dont run it properly,too many people are mates with the mods and they are usually the ones who go messin and dont get banned for it .thats my opinion from when i was on it ,i have never used it again its an embaresment to metal .

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Metal Ireland has its good and bad sides like all forums. I'm far from an "elitist" but if I want to find out about bands and gigs in the local Irish metal scene, Metal Ireland is my first port of call, end of story. I wouldn't have much of an idea otherwise.

This board is a much more broader scope forum as it's part of a whole collection of forums under the Boards moniker and thus is a discussion place for a broader range of rock/metal from Paramore to Megadeth to Cradle of Filth (solely going on the first page of the board at the moment).

Now if you were to post a thread on Metal Ireland about Paramore people would jump at the chance to have a good lambasting session for the laugh and it would give you an awful impression of the place. What you have to realise is that Metal Ireland is a far more range-specific forum then here and Paramore lies outside the scope of most members' interest on Metal Ireland. And people will be only too glad to tell you that, along with the fact that you're gay. :pac: /jk

So all in all, anyone at the Gospel of the Horns gig in the Button Factory on Saturday? Savage stuff all round it was. I didn't see it mentioned... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Gospel were immense!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

fobster wrote: »
    What you have to realise is that Metal Ireland is a far more range-specific forum then here and Paramore lies outside the scope of most members' interest on Metal Ireland. And people will be only too glad to tell you that, along with the fact that you're gay. :pac: /jk

They also find great joy in telling you yer not a 'real' metal fan if you don't like Metallica, Iron Maiden and Manowar or if you have an opinion of your own. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

You were doing okay until you mentioned Manowar there...

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Never said it was my personal opinion :P

Advertisement