Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you dislike about Metal?

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Anna Molly wrote: »
    Oh labels.
    We're talking Tool and whatnot here, right?
    I love Tool, one of my favourites.
    And A Perfect Circle... <3
    Try Dream Theater, Rush, Pain of Salvation and Ayreon

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Anna Molly

The Dark Eternal Night, great tune.

Pain of Salvation? Really... The name is a bit offputting, tbh.

Pain of Salvation? Really... The name is a bit offputting, tbh.
    In what way?

I think I thought the same before I got into them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Anna Molly

Sounds like one of those silly dark death i hate everything kinda bands,
    no offense to them or anyone that likes those mad metal bands.
    Ya know the kind where they have all that mental writing and you cannot make out a word of the lyrics, in general it just sounds like a kaleidscope of noise?

Sounds like one of those silly dark death i hate everything kinda bands,
    no offense to them or anyone that likes those mad metal bands.
    Ya know the kind where they have all that mental writing and you cannot make out a word of the lyrics, in general it just sounds like a kaleidscope of noise?

Nothing like that at all in the slightest (I hate that style too)

Here's a good song for example

it's impossible to give an impression form just one song though, they're very diverse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

throw Porcupine Tree into that tasty mix aswell..

personally i hate these guys, Wtf CRAB METAL??? sounds like Slipknot got raped by Metro station... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQVpITyOdc8

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Malice_ wrote: »
    Actually, if you don't like the growling, try some Nevermore.

I think Nevermores music is brilliant but I dont like the harmonised singing all the time...

Gets a bit boring after a while

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

all the poser metal heads who think their the stuff, who auctually jus listen to the new stuff lik trivium and kno f*ck all about the proper bands and the ppl who dress as captin jack sparrow..... they are jus idiots!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Megafayce

before i go on here, i want to state that i do actually like Metal. Not as a whole genre as such, but there are a few bands i have a soft spot for.

See, i'm 28 now and i just let myself grow up, so i'm not exclusively a metal fan now. I can appreciate every instrument's contribution to a particular musical piece and it's important that i hear every one as party of it. This is where metal has failed me as i've gotten older and it works on 4 levels:

on the "higher" end of things, i cannot listen to blistering death metal anymore because i find that every single instrument including the vocalist's contribution is so loud that it they all want to demand my attention almost, all at once. This is a difficult thing to appreciate about death metal as it's all pretty brutal. And i mean brutal in the literal sense, not in the Irish slang sense.

on the "lower" end is probably the neglect that poor production has implemented on the rhythm section in Metal. the horrible production on some of these albums means that the drums are usually way too clangy or too smothered, never, almost, a fair balance. Sometimes the bass is too over-driven and most times you just cannot hear it at all. As for metal guitarists on the most part, they are way too distracted with wanting to prove their worth by layering wanky guitar solo over wanky guitar solo everywhere. It's more impressive to write a melodic flowing guitar riff than it is to say "look at how good i am on the guitar!"

as for vocalists and lyricists (and i say this with respect to the musicians who write the lyrics and not necessarily sing the songs) well, most of them annoy me for another set of reasons. with lyrics, i have personally grown out of the whole "Metal Leather and Chains" aspect of it all and frankly see it all as a bit gay. Seeing as I'm neither gay, nor young and rebellious, i don't buy into those kinda lyrics anymore. Also, the whole "we are the best, better than everyone, metal is the one voice... etc etc." line of lyrics is so juvenile and redundant, it makes the band as a whole look like they are idiots who support this non-sense. Just tell me where this mythical gauge that measures how good you are compared to everyone else in the world resides and I'll get a repair man out to fix it cuz you're obviously deluded, seeing as the majority of the people of the world don't agree with you. Grow up. As for satanic lyrics, well this is probably the lamest thing and here's why: As an atheist myself i don't believe in a "God" or "Gods", so to hear this line of bull**** being growled down a microphone (when it's decipherable) is both completely unnecessary and a bit juvenile at best. The lyrics hold no personal message for me. When I hear the Vocalist say that they don't believe in God but they want to be "Satan's best mate" or some other drivel I'm compelled to ask them "you do know that the belief in the devil also merits an acknowledgment of God's existence too you know. They are part of the same Ghost story".As for the vocals themselves, i don't much buy into growls equivalent to those similar to noises i myself can be heard made after one too many pints in the local on the weekend. If i want to be reminded of this discomfort, i will not be putting it on a stereo for my amusement, i will simply go and repeat the liver punishment again on the weekend... All the while not listening to it being blared so loudly in the background that i cannot enjoy a chat with my friends while being stared down by depressives wearing black for not wearing corresponding dreary apparel. and i'm not talking about priests here.

Lastly, there's one more thing that drives me insane about metal. Since when did listening to it mean that you had to join a uniformed regime? I like metal but i don't wear black tee-shirts exclusively and don't spend half my day getting in and out of leather trousers. I had a person once say to me (incidentally, he was a metal fan) "oh, i like metal because it stands against society and the need to fit in or wear a uniform. I like being different. I like to be non-conformist". Wait a minute buddy, you wear the same kinda black tee-shirt uniform as every other metal fan. You have long hair and a beard... like every other metal fan. You go out of your way to dress the same as every other metal fan. You are the most conformist person i have spoken to this long time!
    Personally, i dress however i want. I see something i like, i buy it. simple as. My musical taste has never affected how i dress... at least in my adult life anyway.

So yeah, that's what bothers me about metal. If it's good and melodic and doesn't have ridiculous lyrics that compromise the integrity of the music or even a regimen that compromises the integrity of the listener, it's fair game. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Megafayce wrote: »
    If it's good and melodic and doesn't have ridiculous lyrics that compromise the integrity of the music or even a regimen that compromises the integrity of the listener, it's fair game. :pac:

I personally dont really listen to the lyrics...Donno why really..

I couldnt care less if the singer is talking about saving fair maidens and slaying dragons as long as the tune of the singers voice adds to the song Im happy.

I've always struggled with metal singers and was delighted when I discovered Metalcore as its right up my alley..

For example I love the sound of Arch Enemy but hate the singer...

For me its all about the music (guitars and drums mostly)

I also am a big fan of the wanky guitar solos :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Megafayce

bigbadcon wrote: »
    I personally dont really listen to the lyrics...Donno why really..

I couldnt care less if the singer is talking about saving fair maidens and slaying dragons as long as the tune of the singers voice adds to the song Im happy.

I've always struggled with metal singers and was delighted when I discovered Metalcore as its right up my alley..

For example I love the sound of Arch Enemy but hate the singer...

For me its all about the music (guitars and drums mostly)

I also am a big fan of the wanky guitar solos :D

Absolutely, It's a matter of personal taste after all :rolleyes:

As i've gotten older my taste in what i want to hear has just changed naturally and for that reason the things i have mentioned above are just those that no longer reach my expectations. we're always looking for things to surpass them aren't we? So if they suit you, just enjoy it for what it is and how long it lasts. I still, for some mad reason have ongoing loyalty to some oldskool bands like the afformentioned Arch Enemy. sure Michael Amott was with Carcass and provided arguably some of the most melodic licks to thir music, though Musically, even if Jeff Walker's vocals and lyrics don't "reach" me like they used to their music still stands. :confused:

I guess if you listen to something too much, like i did with metal back in the day you're bound to wear holes in it. Metal as a genre doesn't have any real wear and tear value alone. That's why there are other types of music/genres i guess. I just invest more time now in music that "speaks" to me and means something either musically, lyrically and at best, both. A musical piece that assaults your eardrums with everything at once doesn't hold as well as something that is well composed and throws something new at you every time you hear it. I will always go back to Devin Townsend, Carcass, Fear Factory, Arch Enemy, Emperor and so on when i have satisfied my desire for something new, progressive, melodic and meaningful and am contented for the moment, but metal as an institution and platform to show off is just old and sometimes quite disappointing when you see how seriously somebody takes it. but that can be said for any institution really, even other genres.

anyway, time for coffee! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

personally i'll always respect (thrash) metal for the incredible musicianship and counterculture/fashion that inspired, when subcultures existed and music was genuinely visceral rabble rousing and free to be, especially in the emergence of the monged out fascist-like youthscene of rap/rave that fits so perfectly with these kids' lack of sense it still will NEVER shift. ever. but at 31 i prefer more melodic cerebral macabre music now such as '80s darkwave / coldwave / postpunk / industrial. some punk.. but strictly 80s, has to be. and Voivod. n yeah; Carcass were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bren93

For me I would say that in a lot of metal the lyrics are ridiculously epic. A lot of the lyrics are about sleighing dragons and crusades and wars and the whole sort of war/quest/epic theme it kinda takes the seriousness out of many songs.

Also i dislike the lack of drums/bass and i feel that the bass is usually far to simplistic a lot of the time.

Advertisement