Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do people look down on you when your in your 30's and don't own a house?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

tech2 wrote: »
    In the next few years it will be half what it's worth now. How do you own your home as you have a mortgage? The banks owns it. You wont be guaranteed to sell it as there is so many empties and that will go up every month.

Becuase I bought half of it outright rather than squandering the money, so the bank owns less than half, and I own the rest. At 22 that aint too bad. And if I plan to live there for a while after everything bottoms out I think i'll come out the other end fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Kipperhell wrote: »
    Both male and females friends also complain of the complete wasters they meet in their 30s. If all you own by that age is equivalent to what a teenager would buy if they had a little bit of money you need to grow up.

The only problem is that it can be very, very difficult to tell what someone's financial status is by outward appearances! The high-flying salesman in the new BMW might have a negative net worth; the librarian driving a 99 Micra might be worth half a million. Ever read The Millionaire Next Door?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

ionapaul wrote: »
    The only problem is that it can be very, very difficult to tell what someone's financial status is by outward appearances! The high-flying salesman in the new BMW might have a negative net worth; the librarian driving a 99 Micra might be worth half a million. Ever read The Millionaire Next Door?

Never said I judge somebody by outward appearances to know their net worth!!! Again assuming things I haven't said. In case you were wondering when I was talking about "relationship" I always meant a romantic one and not friendship.

We actually have a 10 year old Micra between us and I see cars as one of the biggest wastes of money around. I am full aware many people have huge finance payments for cars and can be heavily in debt. I would equally avoid somebody who was in debit through bad financial planning. It is precisely the inability to have some control on your life that I would be avoiding. It just screams of not taking responsibility for ones own actions.

I have been looked down on because of my appearance more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

We actually have a 10 year old Micra between us and I see cars as one of the biggest wastes of money around.

Yes, but if someone loves their car and gets a great deal of pleasure out of it, as a lot of young people that I saw on Sunday in Kildare do, is it really for you to judge it a waste of money? I would say no. People set different priorities and I do not get the impression that you understand that.

For me, the greatest lack of self control that I see in this country does not necessarily relate to financial decisions although they are worryingly prevalent in the last few years because of attitudes that suggest you have to conform to majority thinking on - say - owning a house - but to alcohol consumption.

In my experience, that has been a greater indicator of lack of self control than ownership or lack of ownership of a house, or desire to spend a lot of time making creative works or doing some sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Calina wrote: »
    Yes, but if someone loves their car and gets a great deal of pleasure out of it, as a lot of young people that I saw on Sunday in Kildare do, is it really for you to judge it a waste of money? I would say no. People set different priorities and I do not get the impression that you understand that.

I certainly can make a judgement just as you did! I understand people have different priorities and I also understand that some are out right selfish and foolish. You have stated no less earlier. Different priorities do not exempt anybody from their actions and what is wise. Life is more than pleasure
    For me, the greatest lack of self control that I see in this country does not necessarily relate to financial decisions although they are worryingly prevalent in the last few years because of attitudes that suggest you have to conform to majority thinking on - say - owning a house - but to alcohol consumption.

I am not by any means a conformist. Making plans for the future is a sensible attitude to have no matter your hobbies, life style or desires in general. There you go again judging people on their behaviour and in the same post saying I have no right.
    In my experience, that has been a greater indicator of lack of self control than ownership or lack of ownership of a house, or desire to spend a lot of time making creative works or doing some sport.

If I could figure out this sentence I am sure I could respond but it simply doesn't make sense.:confused:

Feel free to live a carefree life but if somebody else judges that as reckless you can't really complain because it is by it's very nature reckless. The fact some people will then have to be aided by tax payers for their choices is certainly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭di2772

Never said I judge somebody by outward appearances to know their net worth!!! Again assuming things I haven't said. In case you were wondering when I was talking about "relationship" I always meant a romantic one and not friendship.

We actually have a 10 year old Micra between us and I see cars as one of the biggest wastes of money around. I am full aware many people have huge finance payments for cars and can be heavily in debt. I would equally avoid somebody who was in debit through bad financial planning. It is precisely the inability to have some control on your life that I would be avoiding. It just screams of not taking responsibility for ones own actions.

I have been looked down on because of my appearance more than once.

If i was you i would stop trying to justify what you said.
    Everyone knows what you meant. Some people are just twisting it around for an argument. Dont rise to them.

Advertisement