Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quinn direct problem

Options
  • 06-09-2009 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi all, this is my 1st post!! ok, where to start, well i am 26, and have been with quinn direct since i started driving at 21, i've had my full licence since i was 18. i currently have three years no claims as i went to australia for a while and broke the no claims. anyway, my car was stolen last april, unfortunately i only had the car a week, which looks bad, and i still haven't been paid, it was a fully comp policy, which was paid up to date with no problems. it was a 99 type r civic which i insured for €9000, they said there was a three week waiting period incase the car showed up, i said fair enough! after three weeks, they offered me 7k, everyone told me don't accept the first offer, so i said no, just to see would they come back with an increased amount. this is when the trouble started!!!! firstly they tried to say for all they knew the car was a wreck and worth nothing. they wanted me to go tothe previous owner and get him to prove the car was ok. i got a statement from him stating the car was in perfect working order etc. All the while it was impossible to get them on the phone, they wouldn't return calls or they were "on holidays", the latest is the case is with a special investigation team in manchester of all places!!!!! i got onto the citizens info insurance section, they said thats crap about manchester. they tried to talk to quinn on my behalf, and they got the same result, no calls returned. i eventually went to a solicitor 3 weeks ago, he wrote a letter, and has received no reply!! how are they still in business? because there taking peoples money, and not paying out when they are supposed to. i do not know what to do now. i am driving a 92 1.3 corolla now, i got my renewal friday in the post, they erased my 3 years no claims, and want €1500! so its ok not to pay me, but they still erase my ncb. i got an online quote with my details and with my ncb for €500. can anyone help me, or give me some helpful info, i really don't know what to do :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

i dont think you will get your ncb back afaik.
    it wrong they wont pay you, and perhaps its time to take a trip to the small claims court?
    i had a similiar problem about 18 months ago. i crashed my car after 2 months.
    i bought my car for 18,000. quinn direct paid my 12,000. they refused to give me another penny. but it took almost 2 months to get the cheque off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

Talking on the phone and writing to them will get you nowhere. Best leaving it with the solicitor who'll likely threaten them with legal action.

And please tell me you didn't insure your new car with them after all this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭di2772

s15r wrote: »
    hi all, this is my 1st post!! ok, where to start, well i am 26, and have been with quinn direct since i started driving at 21, i've had my full licence since i was 18. i currently have three years no claims as i went to australia for a while and broke the no claims. anyway, my car was stolen last april, unfortunately i only had the car a week, which looks bad, and i still haven't been paid, it was a fully comp policy, which was paid up to date with no problems. it was a 99 type r civic which i insured for €9000, they said there was a three week waiting period incase the car showed up, i said fair enough! after three weeks, they offered me 7k, everyone told me don't accept the first offer, so i said no, just to see would they come back with an increased amount. this is when the trouble started!!!! firstly they tried to say for all they knew the car was a wreck and worth nothing. they wanted me to go tothe previous owner and get him to prove the car was ok. i got a statement from him stating the car was in perfect working order etc. All the while it was impossible to get them on the phone, they wouldn't return calls or they were "on holidays", the latest is the case is with a special investigation team in manchester of all places!!!!! i got onto the citizens info insurance section, they said thats crap about manchester. they tried to talk to quinn on my behalf, and they got the same result, no calls returned. i eventually went to a solicitor 3 weeks ago, he wrote a letter, and has received no reply!! how are these scumbags still in business? because there taking peoples money, and not paying out when they are supposed to. i do not know what to do now. i am driving a 92 1.3 corolla now, i got my renewal friday in the post, they erased my 3 years no claims, and want €1500! so its ok not to pay me, but they still erase my ncb. i got an online quote with my details and with my ncb for €500. can anyone help me, or give me some helpful info, i really don't know what to do :(

Friend of mine works for Quinn Direct.
    His advice to me was never, ever insure with Quinn.
    There is an in joke among the staff there. It goes like this. "Nice prices, but Id hate to ever be hit by a car insured by Quinn. You'll be lucky to get a penny" And that was among the people who work there.

I guess the same is true if you have a car stolen thats insured by Quinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 s15r

thanks for the quick replies everyone! afraid i did civil, well i transferred the policy to this car. my policy is up on the 27th of this month. would you believe i tried fbd just out of interest and the answer i got was, "we can't insure you as you have had a claim over 5k"!! its a joke, they can afford to send the late late audience members on weekend breaks but they won't give me what i'm due lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

it wrong they wont pay you, and perhaps its time to take a trip to the small claims court?

Small claims has a limit of 2000 euro and I am not sure if they will hear insurance disputes.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

s15r, I've edited your original post. While I understand your frustrations in this situation, using what could be construed as offensive language when referring to people/companies is not allowed on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

This story doesn't surprise me from many years dealing with this Insurer (in the biz). It is easy providing the cheapest quotes if you pay out less than the opposition. I'll say no more.

Sorry, just to edit my post. There is an Arbitration Clause in your policy which entitles you to a hearing with agreed mediators when the dispute is over quantum (the amount to be paid out) once the facts have been agreed. You get to approve the arbitrator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 s15r

thanks toots, it won't happen again. @youth, i didn't know that, i'm going to call my solicitor in the morning and see has he any update, i won't hold my breath though.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 BizTalker

the above mentioned insurance company is to be avoided!it works against its customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Oh my god that is a proper disgrace but very typical of Quinn no wonder he is 1 of Irelands Richest Men & hes from cavan. take all give nothing :mad: they love taking on new customers you are usually waiting less than a minute if looking for a quote. but if you come back to them if involved in a crash or car gets stolen you may as well forget about it. its shocking -insurance Companies need to be policed more Rigorously so they wil pay out the correct amount by a set date if the customer is in the right. if they dont their should be penalties against them.... ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement