Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Mature Students have trouble fitting in when they started?

Options
  • 06-09-2009 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

Starting Arts tomorrow and im a quiet bloke at the best of times so just wondering if any mature students had any advice as it would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I'm starting tomorrow and so far i haven't seen any other mature student on my course. I'm not normally that quiet but i have nothing in common with the other students so its proving a bit awkward.

That doesn't help you but at least you know you're not on your own!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

In the vast majority of my lectures, there are a decent number of mature students (5-10) and most of them seem to hang around together in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭JayC5

Yeah, the first week was a bit odd, personally I felt a little out of place but got used to it after a few days. I haven't seen many other mature students about however...!? Is there some cool hangout place that I'm not aware of...? :D

I'm sure when lectures/tutorials kick off it will be easier to meet peops and make friends, at least then you'll know who is in your classes etc etc. Also join the mature student society and a few other socs -that's what I intend on doing anyways

JC

I think alot of mature students fall into under 30's category and don't really stand out?

Maybe thats wishful thinking on my part and i stand out like a sore thumb!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Yeh Chet i was thinking the exact same thing, sure we'll see tomorrow i guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There is a cool hangout place for mature students: the Mature Students Society. We'll have a table in the Fresher's Week tent, so be sure to join up.

Some of us do stand out, and don't care about doing fashionable things in an attempt to fit in. You'll probably find your fellow mature students sitting near the front of lectures and paying attention, rather than gossiping at the back. Ditto for stupid drinking sessions and "balls". :rolleyes:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 45 doly

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I think alot of mature students fall into under 30's category and don't really stand out?

I think there should be a support group for the super mature - those of us who are 50+. I am starting tomorrow and judging by all the "young" people at the mature students orientation day, I must be part of a very select set. I will certainly stand out but then I think mature students have an advantage, like smokers do, of the unifying effects of being in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Nicely put Doly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

While also wishing to pimp the Mature Student Soc (without angering the mods), our first event isn't until freshers week. So you have to get through a week first. My take on it is: don't worry about it. There will be enough new and shiny stuff in your first week's lectures to distract you. Tutorials and labs don't start until weeks 2 and 3, so you may not want to 'wait around' until then to start making friends.

For people coming straight from leaving cert, this is also new and scary to them. So don't think like you're alone! Sit down beside someone in your lecture, say hi, and try to make a new friend. Chances are they'll be as glad to get talking to someone as you are, whether they are young or old. And, to repeat some advice I gave on the Mature Student Orientation day (you did go, didn't you?!), if you do get talking to someone, try to remember them and swap email addresses. Honestly, arts is so big that you can't rely on randomly bumping into them a second time.

Zuffer wrote: »
    For people coming straight from leaving cert, this is also new and scary to them. So don't think like you're alone! Sit down beside someone in your lecture, say hi, and try to make a new friend. Chances are they'll be as glad to get talking to someone as you are, whether they are young or old. And, to repeat some advice I gave on the Mature Student Orientation day (you did go, didn't you?!), if you do get talking to someone, try to remember them and swap email addresses. Honestly, arts is so big that you can't rely on randomly bumping into them a second time.

I did :D

(pointless post, i know)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Make sure to enjoy tomorrow, it's Black Monday and the student bar next to quinn is the place to be!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

doly wrote: »
    I think there should be a support group for the super mature - those of us who are 50+.

Just on this, I guess I'm one of the 'younger' mature students, but honestly when I started I felt like I had more in common with the people 20+ years older than me than the people 10 years younger than me.

Advertisement