Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

D Trent wrote: »
    Where is this particular bridge ?

It's the daftest thing I've ever heard , kept looking at the date of article to see was it April fools

Makes perfect sense to me. I know from growing up in the country that the bats zoom surprisingly low along the country roads snapping up the bugs hanging around the hedgerows. This seems like a really good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, they tend to follow lines of trees, hedgerows etc. rather than fly in the open. Not an April Fool's at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

They have a good few of these on the continent. Here's one in Luxemburg

They have a good few of these on the continent. Here's one in Luxemburg
    There are plenty of wildlife overpasses, but generally these tend to be for mammals ... deer, badgers, foxes etc.. This is the first I've heard of ones for bats I must say.

There's quite a few in the Netherlands too ...

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.065117,5.9441268,1755m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.1111698,5.9511095,1435m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.203995,5.8079823,1031m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Where is this particular bridge ?

It's the daftest thing I've ever heard , kept looking at the date of article to see was it April fools

I think it's near coole park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Alun wrote: »
    There are plenty of wildlife overpasses, but generally these tend to be for mammals ... deer, badgers, foxes etc.. This is the first I've heard of ones for bats I must say.

Bats are mammals, too.

In fact, about 20% of mammal species are bats.

Bats are mammals, too.

In fact, about 20% of mammal species are bats.
    :D Oops, yes, of course I knew that, silly me! OK then, four legged land based mammals then.

Reading this and "bat out of hell" just stared playing. :D

New slip road opening at cartymore next week beside the sisk compound so the can work on the flyover

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

m17 wrote: »
    I think it's near coole park

Its near Kiltartan (not far from Coole) there were people doing surveys around there a few years ago at night time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Czhornet wrote: »
    Its near Kiltartan (not far from Coole) there were people doing surveys around there a few years ago at night time.

Don't think they were surveys, it may be a practice commonly referred to as dogging

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

Don't think they were surveys, it may be a practice commonly referred to as dogging

I hope not, as they had hi viz vests on and they had antenna's wired up to little boxes around their waist.

Then again, anything goes these days, what ever you are in to.....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

How is the M6/M17/M18 junction in Rathmorrissey coming along? Any signs of bridge formwork going up yet? Anyone have images of the latest construction work? Thanks!

JupiterKid wrote: »
    How is the M6/M17/M18 junction in Rathmorrissey coming along? Any signs of bridge formwork going up yet? Anyone have images of the latest construction work? Thanks!

Go to page 258

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Go to page 258

Your better off pointing them to the post #. There are different numbers of posts per page depending on your settings. I'm currently only on page 210.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Your better off pointing them to the post #. There are different numbers of posts per page depending on your settings. I'm currently only on page 210.

And permanently I'm on page 1!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

I am assuming it was a joke! And a good one......:)

Rathmorrisy on the 17/07/15 I passed there today the have started work on the bridge face

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Rathmorrisy on the 17/07/15 I passed there today the have started work on the bridge face
    If the NRA ever has a few thousand to spare they could do with powerwashing some of the jersey barriers, starting to get very grimy nowadays (overbridges too e.g. the M20 ones)

Blasting as part of the construction of the m18 near kiltieran has been postponed pending the completion of a hydrogeology report

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Blasting as part of the construction of the m18 near kiltieran has been postponed pending the completion of a hydrogeology report

What does that mean?
    Is it standard practice or did something go wrong during planning and design stages?

Pics of m17 in last week's tuam herald

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

Geogregor wrote: »
    What does that mean?
    Is it standard practice or did something go wrong during planning and design stages?

They've probably just encountered some geological oddity like a karst fissure or a subterranean watercourse or something.

Pics at rathmorrisy 07/08/15

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Pics at rathmorrisy 07/08/15

Thanks!

It is already visble where the overbridges for the roundabout and the main flyover will be. So now it is possible to picture the size of the junction.

Are the works only on one side of the M6 or is there activity on the other side too?

BTW, I was looking at GSV and you can see that during construction of the M6 they left place for the slip roads joining the mainline (places with wider hard shoulders) but central reservation is narrow with continuously poured barrier. That will complicate construction of the central supports for all the structures (I presume they will need central support).

Thanks!

It is already visble where the overbridges for the roundabout and the main flyover will be. So now it is possible to picture the size of the junction.

Are the works only on one side of the M6 or is there activity on the other side too?

BTW, I was looking at GSV and you can see that during construction of the M6 they left place for the slip roads joining the mainline (places with wider hard shoulders) but central reservation is narrow with continuously poured barrier. That will complicate construction of the central supports for all the structures (I presume they will need central support).

There only working on one side the m18 one

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Thanks!

I am guessing there is no central columns or supports. Anyone pass that new interchange that was build by roadbridge on the M6 just after Athlone for the service station lately? I am sure there are no centre piers on that. Too much disruption and safety factors to take into account. Easier to design them out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gerobrien25

According to the website blasting is scheduled for this Thursday at Kiltiernan West. Does it mean the issue is solved?

Advertisement