Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭cgcsb

paul2013 wrote: »
    Also does anyone know if M17 will be continuing as Motorway past Tuam to Sligo Eventually or will it be just upgraded to Dual Carriageway?

There is no motorway/dual carriageway between Dublin and Sligo/Mayo/Leitrim/Donegal/Derry etc. so I doubt there will ever be one connecting those areas to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

cgcsb wrote: »
    There is no motorway/dual carriageway between Dublin and Sligo/Mao/Leitrim/Donegal/Derry etc. so I doubt there will ever be one connecting those areas to Galway.

Yes there will be it's called the Atlantic corridor linking Waterford cork limerick tuam sligo and letterkenny

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

m17 wrote: »
    Yes there will be it's called the Atlantic corridor linking Waterford cork limerick tuam sligo and letterkenny
    There will be a dual from Dublin to Sligo eventually but there is no firm plan to do Letterkenny to Tuam.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

So that would be an AC DC? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

So that would be an AC DC? :D

Better than the current Highway to Hell

• Advertisement

D Trent wrote: »
    Better than the current Highway to Hell

Here's one

The flyover at kilternan 08/01/16

The m17 at the townland of mahangh outside Corofin 10/01/16

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

The m17 at the townland of mahangh outside Corofin 10/01/16

Is that the central barrier they are working on? They seem to very well ahead of things in the south side

glineli wrote: »
    Is that the central barrier they are working on? They seem to very well ahead of things in the south side

Yes it is there miles ahead of the southern section it seems that langans are setting on the fence

• Advertisement

That's the drain that runs flush with the road surface not the barrier. The barrier will be laid after all the tarmac.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭busyatwork

Yes it is there miles ahead of the southern section it seems that langans are setting on the fence

Lagans never rush at anything and alot of there section is under water at the moment

busyatwork wrote: »
    Lagans never rush at anything and alot of there section is under water at the moment

Lagans haven't done there homework same thing happened in 2009 this would be a good idea if the build a canal from gort to kilternan parallel to the m18 so the water can run off the motorway

Lagans haven't done there homework same thing happened in 2009 this would be a good idea if the build a canal from gort to kilternan parallel to the m18 so the water can run off the motorway

Lagans didnt degsign the road ,the biggest hold up is the NRA are only paying lagans the money on the NRA terms which means lagans wont pay wills bros anything for being ahead of scedual thats why alot of wills pland is parked up and lagans are going so slow it a game of cat and mouse on that section

busyatwork wrote: »
    Lagans didnt degsign the road ,the biggest hold up is the NRA are only paying lagans the money on the NRA terms which means lagans wont pay wills bros anything for being ahead of scedual thats why alot of wills pland is parked up and lagans are going so slow it a game of cat and mouse on that section

Cowboys Ted hand it over to roadbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SeanOg123

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I wonder how much delay the flooding in South Galway has caused for this project?

I hear work on the motorway has been suspended in South Galway - apparently because the motorway is too far ahead of schedule. However seems like a big coincidence that many local people are implicating the new motorway in the serious flooding in this area

SeanOg123 wrote: »
    I hear work on the motorway has been suspended in South Galway - apparently because the motorway is too far ahead of schedule. However seems like a big coincidence that many local people are implicating the new motorway in the serious flooding in this area

I was down around coole park last Wednesday and they where pipe laying I didn't even take any pics because there is nothing happening except for the flyover at kilternan welcome to this tread

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

Flooding on the northern side of the Kilcloghans flyover, Tuam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Not a native of South Galway but a frequent user The N18 for over 20 years.

It flooded regularly at Labane on the southbound side and across the road beside the school where they are building the flyover.

Its compo time?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Flooding on the northern side of the Kilcloghans flyover, Tuam

Can you fix that second image? It didn't upload.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

Lagan's are blasting again in the kilcolgan area, some on Friday and some scheduled for tomorrow.

wintear wrote: »
    Lagan's are blasting again in the kilcolgan area, some on Friday and some scheduled for tomorrow.

It might get rid of sum of that flooding

Cowboys Ted hand it over to roadbridge

Dont get too excited about roadbridge, they have along wait to see if the vertical drainage works or not so the still might have to start digging out bog

I was down around coole park last Wednesday and they where pipe laying I didn't even take any pics because there is nothing happening except for the flyover at kilternan welcome to this tread

Good to hear that work is moving forward. The motorway will obviously be good for Clare and Galway and it would be a shame if flooding concerns impacted the project. I live in South Galway but haven't been affected by the flooding. This website reflects local concerns about the causes of the flooding (of which the motorway is just one element). I've read about concerns that so-called sinkholes that drain water into underground rivers may have been blocked during motorway construction, plus the motorway obviously acts as a dam is some places. It would be helpful if some of these issued could be addressed during motorway construction.

Good to hear that work is moving forward. The motorway will obviously be good for Clare and Galway and it would be a shame if flooding concerns impacted the project. I live in South Galway but haven't been affected by the flooding. This website reflects local concerns about the causes of the flooding (of which the motorway is just one element).

Facebook South-Galway-Floods

I've read about concerns that so-called sinkholes that drain water into underground rivers may have been blocked during motorway construction, plus the motorway obviously acts as a dam is some places. It would be helpful if some of these issued could be addressed during motorway construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

http://galwaybayfm.ie/council-urged-to-review-m17-drainage-following-north-galway-flooding/

"Council urged to review M17 drainage following North Galway flooding
    GBFM News January 11, 2016 Galway Bay FM News Desk
    Print Friendly
    Galway Bay fm newsroom – The County Council is being urged to carry out a review of the drainage system for the construction of the M17 from Gort to Tuam.

It’s in light of recent flooding in the north Galway area, particularly around Tuam.

Councillor Donagh Killilea says locals fear that the new motorway will block the natural flow of water into the Clare river.

The Fianna Fáil councillor says that the lack of maintenance work in turlough areas such as Belclare and Caherlistrane means that hundreds more acres have been flooded.

Councillor Killilea says that while South Galway is experiencing terrible flooding at the moment, other areas are also affected.

Councillor Killilea says special drainage work needs to be carried out as part of the new motorway development.

Director of Services with Galway County Council, Liam Gavin says they will investigate if the M17 is contributing to localised flooding."

http://galwaybayfm.ie/council-urged-to-review-m17-drainage-following-north-galway-flooding/

"Council urged to review M17 drainage following North Galway flooding
    GBFM News January 11, 2016 Galway Bay FM News Desk
    Print Friendly
    Galway Bay fm newsroom – The County Council is being urged to carry out a review of the drainage system for the construction of the M17 from Gort to Tuam.

It’s in light of recent flooding in the north Galway area, particularly around Tuam.

Councillor Donagh Killilea says locals fear that the new motorway will block the natural flow of water into the Clare river.

The Fianna Fáil councillor says that the lack of maintenance work in turlough areas such as Belclare and Caherlistrane means that hundreds more acres have been flooded.

Councillor Killilea says that while South Galway is experiencing terrible flooding at the moment, other areas are also affected.

Councillor Killilea says special drainage work needs to be carried out as part of the new motorway development.

Director of Services with Galway County Council, Liam Gavin says they will investigate if the M17 is contributing to localised flooding."

Here's flooding outside Corofin next to the m17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Facebook South-Galway-Floods

I've read about concerns that so-called sinkholes that drain water into underground rivers may have been blocked during motorway construction, plus the motorway obviously acts as a dam is some places. It would be helpful if some of these issued could be addressed during motorway construction.
    Long before the motorway started there has been flooding.
    My in-laws said that silage wrap blocked some of the natural drainage.

I would suspect that very little flooding if any can be attributed to the motorway.

This is the usual suspects making noises in an election year.

Long before the motorway started there has been flooding.
    My in-laws said that silage wrap blocked some of the natural drainage.

I would suspect that very little flooding if any can be attributed to the motorway.

This is the usual suspects making noises in an election year.

It's happening on the 27 of February (election)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

It's happening on the 27 of February (election)

Source? Nothing on the news or online about it.

Advertisement