Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

m17 wrote: »
    Road closure seen as safest solution to m17 works despite local opposition

At least someone made a sane decision. Fair play to them and I say that as one of the 7,000 commuters on that road who is going to be inconvenienced

As for the nimbys protesting, the less said the better.

Yet again it goes to show that if one off rural housing was banned outside of villages/towns, the situation would improve greatly in terms of infrastructure and development for all concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    What roundabout will the bridges be going over at the interchange?

Well, the main roundabout of the junction. Other people already posted its design.
    M6 will be on the bottom level then the junction roundabout in the middle (crossing M6 on two overpasses) and then M17/M18 on top crossing the roundabout on two overpasses and the M6 on the third, the tallest one in the middle of the junction.

So basically the M17/M18 will run on three overpasses in quick succession, with embankments between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Geogregor wrote: »
    Well, the main roundabout of the junction. Other people already posted its design.
    M6 will be on the bottom level then the junction roundabout in the middle (crossing M6 on two overpasses) and then M17/M18 on top crossing the roundabout on two overpasses and the M6 on the third, the tallest one in the middle of the junction.

So basically the M17/M18 will run on three overpasses in quick succession, with embankments between them.
    Here's rathmorissy when it opens sometime in 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

Geogregor wrote: »

Ok Cool,

So the middle flyover over the m6 is higher than the other two to allow this? I didn't notice that!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    Ok Cool,

So the middle flyover over the m6 is higher than the other two to allow this? I didn't notice that!

Have a look at the photo on the first page of the news letter. All three bridges over the M6 look to be the same height, but the roundabout drops below the level of the M17/18 where two more over brigdes will be placed.

• Advertisement

Here's rathmorissy when it opens sometime in 2018

Actually slightly different than this often posted picture.
    This link did confuse me until I've seen the recent aerials.

On this photo there seems to be one long overpass on the top level while here in Rathmorrissy there will be three separate structures along the M17/M18.

Which is well visible on the photo from their last newsletter:
    24015998293_fc27704997_b.jpg
    Rathmorrissy Junction
    by Geogregor*, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

That centre bridge doesn't look like its the new hexagonal wall panels style bridge, but pillars?

Does anyone know the decisions for the different styles of bridge?
    The newest section of M11 all has the hex panel style

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

That centre bridge doesn't look like its the new hexagonal wall panels style bridge, but pillars?

Once again thanks dav and niamh for getting this forum back on the road, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

The hex panels are what's known as an earth retaining wall, usually used where space is tight, but also allows a bridge deck to be constructed with just one solid beam in one go with no additional beams needed to join up to an abutment. Construction therefore is a lot quicker and cheaper. As for the mainline bridge it is probably different due to high volume/poor underground conditions or even for sight lines (not going under 3 enclosed bridge structures in quick succession)

• Advertisement

paul2013 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    Anyone know this: What directional signage will be on the New Motorway, I know what Junction 17 will be N67/R458 Ardrahan, Ballyvaughan, Clarinbridge and Kilcolgan.
    I'm confused in what the Rathmorrissy Junction will say and what will the new M17 start off at what Junction Number? as I know the Annagh Hill junction will be Mountbellew, Athleague and Roscommon.

Also does anyone know if M17 will be continuing as Motorway past Tuam to Sligo Eventually or will it be just upgraded to Dual Carriageway?

Junctions along the m18/m17, 16 gort 17 kilternan 18 rathmorissy start of the m17 junction 1 rathmorissy 2 annagh hill 3 kilmore roundabout tuam.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭busyatwork

Anyone hear what wrong between lagans and wills ,alot of subcontractors off hired and workers let go

busyatwork wrote: »
    Anyone hear what wrong between lagans and wills ,alot of subcontractors off hired and workers let go

That's all we need it's one problem after another on that section let roadbridge and sisk finish of the project

That's all we need it's one problem after another on that section let roadbridge and sisk finish of the project

Never mind the irish company the only company that can do these jobs are the the crowd that done the M6 EPSA and the crowds that were with them

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭hondar

Never mind the irish company the only company that can do these jobs are the the crowd that done the M6 EPSA and the crowds that were with them

And what company's and crowds were with them.

hondar wrote: »
    And what company's and crowds were with them.

Ya i know they were irish contractors involved but the main contractor was spainish and dont tell me that the m6 is not the best bit of motorway in ireland

Ya i know they were irish contractors involved but the main contractor was spainish and dont tell me that the m6 is not the best bit of motorway in ireland

You're right there mate

The flyover at cartymore 30/01/16 the have started work on the flyover 2kms south of annagh hill

The flyover at annagh hill 31/01/16

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

The flyover at annagh hill 31/01/16

Is that the N63 crossing over?
    Is it on the tuam or athenry side of the existing N63. There doesn't seem to be an awful lot or room at that location (houses) to move the existing road over to the new flyover.

• Advertisement

cocoman wrote: »
    Is that the N63 crossing over?
    Is it on the tuam or athenry side of the existing N63. There doesn't seem to be an awful lot or room at that location (houses) to move the existing road over to the new flyover.

This flyover is on the athenry side,the flyover will open in May the existing n63 will close so the can start on the flyover which will flyover the current n63, this is the next major junction after rathmorissy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Sorry, I haven't been following - the protest taking place over the closure of a road, is the road the N63?

spacetweek wrote: »
    Sorry, I haven't been following - the protest taking place over the closure of a road, is the road the N63?

The protest is happening on the r339 mate

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭guylikeme

Hate to be a stickler but that head-on from this morning wouldn't have happened had the finger been pulled out and this project done the 10 or so years ago that it was planned.

More really is lost through indecision than wrong decision.

gallery.aspx some good Ariel shots of the m17/m18 on www.directroutegorttotuam.ie/gallery.aspx

The flyover at mahangh Corofin is now open to construction traffic

Protest underway over controversial planned monivea road closure. www.galwaybayfm.ie/protest-underway-over-controversial-planned-monivea-road-closure[IMG]http://www galwaybayfm.ie/protest-underway-over-controversial-planned-monogram-road-closure[/IMG]

Rathmorissy, they have the bridge face done on the second flyover,that go's over the roundabout

Do you know guys where could I find fairly detail drawings of the Rathmorissy Junction?

I mean something similar to the below plans for Dunkettle:
    24287714433_96174dfc97_b.jpg
    Dunkettle interchange whole interchange
    by Geogregor*, on Flickr

It would be even better if it was in colour but I won't be picky ;)

• Advertisement

Roryhy wrote: »
    16679754628_84704ebf18.jpg
    Got this from Galway Co. Co. today, they said detailed design is currently ongoing.

Hope this helps

Advertisement