Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Rathmorissy 12/02/16

• Registered Users Posts: 68,528 ✭✭✭✭L1011

m17 wrote: »
    How come the old n6 now the r446 is still a 100 kph

Local councils can raise any R road to 100 should they feel it meets the standards. Much of the ex-N roads are, as well as some other high quality ones around, e.g. in Cork I've seen a few

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

How come the old n6 now the r446 is still a 100 kph

I'd imagine wide S2/straightened N roads that are detrunked would retain the 100km/h limit.

Narrow, windy stretches of N road, or those which have tolled motorways built to replace them usually retain a 80km/h limit. The N20 around Buttevant when upgraded will presumably have a 80km/h limit. If you want to go faster use the motorway.

Moving rock at ballinphuil Corofin

The townland of ballybanagher Corofin pic1 13/02/15 pic2 13/02/16

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

The townland of ballybanagher Corofin pic1 13/02/15 pic2 13/02/16

Some difference in them two photos! And looking at the file numbers, you've 1,117 photos taken since!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Some difference in them two photos! And looking at the file numbers, you've 1,117 photos taken since!!

There must be a server at boards HQ dedicated to m17's photos at this stage :)

marno21 wrote: »
    More like an entire stripe on the RAID drive.

marno21 wrote: »

That's dav

The mahangh flyover at Corofin pic1 14/06/15 pic2 14/02/16

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

The first line is a laugh - It’s been revealed that the N17 is likely to be downgraded following the completion of the Gort to Tuam motorway.

Revealed my arse. This is standard practice for the last decade when a motorway opens. The motorway legally becomes the N road under motorway regulations so the old N road has to be redesignated.

Any one would think we have an election this month.

Traffic movement for rathmorissy

The 2nd roundabout at annagh hill is near completion

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Opening year 2014! Wow this scheme has definitely been delayed.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Opening year 2014! Wow this scheme has definitely been delayed.

According this wonderful government of ours, the previous one there was no money to start these project back in 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

So, when was this projection made? Before or after the economic crash?

And how do you think these numbers correspond to the actual traffic levels nowadays? Is it accurate projection?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Geogregor wrote: »

And how do you think these numbers correspond to the actual traffic levels nowadays? Is it accurate projection?

I think traffic levels are now back to the previous peak. I recall on threads like this circa 2010 folk rubbishing the need for the M50 upgrade on the basis that the collapse in traffic meant it was not required; today many of the same people are complaining (again, incorrectly) that the M50 is a "linear car-park" because traffic exceeds projections and the upgrade was a waste!

I'd imagine similar considerations apply to the M17/18.

There will be no service area at this junction, there looking for planning for a service area about mile form rathmorissy on the galway side of the m6

Are you sure?

When I checked links on the Galway County Council website they still list possibility of service area at the junction as one of the options:

http://www.galway.ie/en/services/roads/roadsprojects/m6servicearea/

Was this option excluded and they just didn't bother to update the website?

Are you sure?

When I checked links on the Galway County Council website they still list possibility of service area at the junction as one of the options:

http://www.galway.ie/en/services/roads/roadsprojects/m6servicearea/

Was this option excluded and they just didn't bother to update the website?

Looking at the map there are 3 sites 1a/1b is the site they are looking at ,site 3a/3b are two close to the junction

Looking at the map there are 3 sites 1a/1b is the site they are looking at ,site 3a/3b are two close to the junction

So, it seems that the services located at the Rathmorissy junction is still an option.
    I can't imagine how they could solve access to it from all the directions.

Also, could you tell when were those projections of the traffic movements at the junction made (the figures from the image in the link posted earlier)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Taytomal

Does anyone know what is going on at the Coldwood overpass? Looks like it's been without any work since Christmas! Any opening dates / updates? Getting tired of 50k through the chicanes!

Here's the original plan for the rathmorissy msa back in 2009 but it was turned down by an board pleanala, there looking at site between rathmorissy and annagh hill along the m17

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Before. Since then, traffic levels in Ireland have gone down, then up. So I would guess the figures are still valid.
    10-15k for a motorway is very comfortable.

Here's the original plan for the rathmorissy msa back in 2009 but it was turned down by an board pleanala, there looking at site between rathmorissy and annagh hill along the m17

I saw this image somewhere. It is obviously no longer valid (even if they still decide for the junction location of the services) as since then they included the separate left-turning slip roads.
    spacetweek wrote: »
    Before. Since then, traffic levels in Ireland have gone down, then up. So I would guess the figures are still valid.
    10-15k for a motorway is very comfortable.

Yes, 10-15k is nothing for motorways. There is a two-lane road next to my home town with over 20k AADT and no major issues (well it is busy but keeps moving ;))

I was wondering about the particular slip roads traffic predictions. I wonder how will they really pan out.
    I'm also quite surprised by how few vehicles are predicted to continue straight north-south and vice versa through the junction.

Anyway, we'll see after opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I saw this image somewhere. It is obviously no longer valid (even if they still decide for the junction location of the services) as since then they included the separate left-turning slip roads.

Yes, 10-15k is nothing for motorways. There is a two-lane road next to my home town with over 20k AADT and no major issues (well it is busy but keeps moving ;))

I was wondering about the particular slip roads traffic predictions. I wonder how will they really pan out.
    I'm also quite surprised by how few vehicles are predicted to continue straight north-south and vice versa through the junction.

Anyway, we'll see after opening.

The slip roads for M18 are in that drawing they just aren't highlighted in grey like the M17 slip roads

Here's a junction in the UK that is like the rathmorissy junction the advantages and disadvantages of the junctionhttp://www.cbrd.co.uk/badjunctions/60-62-66

D Trent wrote: »
    The slip roads for M18 are in that drawing they just aren't highlighted in grey like the M17 slip roads

Maybe, but then they just superimposed services entrance straight from the roundabout over those faintly marked slip roads. This is clearly just some ad hoc idea. Services couldn't be seriously planed like that.

I guess one could still pluck them onto the junction but entry/exit would require bridge over the slip road. That would be interesting and unique design but I'm not sure if that's possible due to merging issues.

The advantage of such solution would be provision of services for all three motorways which would clearly help viability of such services in he first place.
    I guess we'll see if there will be any provision in the roundabout they currently constructing for an extra exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

At least we are getting this motorway, as to the other equally as needed M20. This plan is very welcome, even if delayed a few years.

Yes! Only 2200. There was hardly any point in building the flyovers for that, many of the turning movements will have higher traffic than that.
    Maybe, but then they just superimposed services entrance straight from the roundabout over those faintly marked slip roads. This is clearly just some ad hoc idea. Services couldn't be seriously planed like that.
    No, I think they were quite serious. However the planning agency didn't agree and they were refused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

Advertisement