Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

jenningso wrote: »

There making great progress form annagh hill to tuam wouldl like to see some drone footage around rathmorissy

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wtd2008

When do ye think it will be actually finished lads? I know they are saying 2018 but would it be done before it?
    Also, rough guesstimate how long would it take from Annagh Hill to Gort doing the speed limit?
    Thanks.

wtd2008 wrote: »
    When do ye think it will be actually finished lads? I know they are saying 2018 but would it be done before it?
    Also, rough guesstimate how long would it take from Annagh Hill to Gort doing the speed limit?
    Thanks.

I would say November17, about 23 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

m17 wrote: »
    There making great progress form annagh hill to tuam wouldl like to see some drone footage around rathmorissy

I was just thinking the same.

Couldn't they do flyover of the entire scheme?

Geogregor wrote: »
    I was just thinking the same.

Couldn't they do flyover of the entire scheme?

Big thanks to Robert lally from roadbridge for the drone footage cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

That was amazing footage, drones in the right hands are really useful.

From the footage it looks like it could be late next year but I wouldn't be surprised if it dropped into 2018. There isint exactly any big road projects for these guys to do any time soon. Plus I know there is an early completion bonus but still..

Irish_rat wrote: »
    That was amazing footage, drones in the right hands are really useful.

From the footage it looks like it could be late next year but I wouldn't be surprised if it dropped into 2018. There isint exactly any big road projects for these guys to do any time soon. Plus I know there is an early completion bonus but still..

It would make good press if the could finish a few months early,and the could start on the galway outer bypass if the planning gets sorted

Step forward for controversial motorway service station near athenryhttp://connachttribune.ie/step-forward-for-controversial-motorway-service-station-near-athenry/

Getting trough the rock at ballybanagher Corofin on a dark evening

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Step forward for controversial motorway service station near athenryhttp://connachttribune.ie/step-forward-for-controversial-motorway-service-station-near-athenry/
    County Councillors had raised concerns that the new station at Athenry would be in competition with the new Kiltullagh Plaza development, which is due to open in two weeks time.

County Councillors don't want competition!

The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned - then they all must up their game and trim their prices :)

These stations are not being provided for the benefit of the Vincent De Paul.......

• Advertisement

Monivea road to close for three weeks, where are local councillors when you need themhttp://galwaybayfm.ie/council-publishes-decision-on-closure-of-monivea-road

A Volvo a460 going over one of the bridges at rathmorissy 19/02/16

The 2nd roundabout at annagh hill is now open,the flyover at brockagh Corofin will close next Wednesday for 10 days so that the can do the bridge tie in

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Is there a case for detrunking the R347 from Tuam to Athenry after the opening of the M17?

marno21 wrote: »
    Is there a case for detrunking the R347 from Tuam to Athenry after the opening of the M17?

De-trunking an R road? :confused:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Yes, detrunking it to an L road, and sending traffic via the M17.

Many roads have been detrunked to L roads, for example the old N5 through Ballaghaderreen & Charlestown, the old N20 through Croom, but I'm not sure if there's precedence for detrunking R roads to L roads.

Wouldn't that just be downgrading farther than detrunking?
    Anyway, L roads generally don't connect destinations together - rather they provide local access to an area.

Does the R347 get cut so that it can't be used as a route between two distinct destinations?

Wouldn't that just be downgrading farther than detrunking?
    Anyway, L roads generally don't connect destinations together - rather they provide local access to an area.

Does the R347 get cut so that it can't be used as a route between two distinct destinations?

This is the purpose I mean. Local access to the area along the R347 can be provided using the R347 downgraded, whereas Athenry - Tuam traffic can use the M17.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,160 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Having a backup road on such a high volume route is, in my opinion a good idea.

Also, you would have villages inbetween linked by nothing but an L road?

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Having a backup road on such a high volume route is, in my opinion a good idea.

The backup road to the N20 Croom bypass is an L road. The backup to the N21 Castleisland bypass is an L road.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Also, you would have villages inbetween linked by nothing but an L road?

This is not uncommon. Gneevguilla, Cordal, Currow, Kilcummin, Knocknagoshel, are just a few in Kerry linked by L roads

• Advertisement

Isn't there supposed to be an alternative road with non-motorway status? An L-road would hardly qualify?

Isn't there supposed to be an alternative road with non-motorway status? An L-road would hardly qualify?

This is the question - is the alternative the detrunked N17 or the R347?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

marno21 wrote: »
    This is the question - is the alternative the detrunked N17 or the R347?

So technically there's a possibility that N17 could become an L road ?
    Is there any L road in the country with a 100km/h limit ?

D Trent wrote: »
    So technically there's a possibility that N17 could become an L road ?
    Is there any L road in the country with a 100km/h limit ?

No, the n17 will be the r347 so the n17 will now start at the tuam bypass when the m17 opens

No, the n17 will be the r347 so the n17 will now start at the tuam bypass when the m17 opens

Just struck me - there has to be someone in TII or the Local Authority who actually knows what's going to happen.

Find him and problem solved :)

Ariel views of rathmorissy so far pic1 30/04/15 pic2 20/08/15 pic3 10/01/16

I'm not talking about just N17 within Tuam boundaries.

The stretch from Loughgeorge to Tuam for example, there's a possibility that might become an L road once the co council takes responsibility for N17

D Trent wrote: »
    I'm not talking about just N17 within Tuam boundaries.

The stretch from Loughgeorge to Tuam for example, there's a possibility that might become an L road once the co council takes responsibility for N17

That stretch of road will be the r336 which will run form the junction at Fleming grange to the roundabout next to the west wing at tuam when the m17 opens

A view form the top of flyover at ballinphuil Corofin looking towards athenry the flyover in the background will open on the 5th of March

• Advertisement

That stretch of road will be the r336 which will run form the junction at Fleming grange to the roundabout next to the west wing at tuam when the m17 opens

I think what will be done is the N63 will continue from where it currently terminates at Loughgeorge and in as far as Flemings junction, similar to what was done where the Portumna Rd N65 terminated at its junction with N6- it now continues to motorway junction.

So N17 will need to be redesignated from Loughgeorge to west wing

Advertisement