Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

D Trent wrote: »
    I think what will be done is the N63 will continue from where it currently terminates at Loughgeorge and in as far as Flemings junction, similar to what was done where the Portumna Rd N65 terminated at its junction with N6- it now continues to motorway junction.

So N17 will need to be redesignated from Loughgeorge to west wing

The N63 designation will likely stop at its interchange with the new M17. The reason the N65 termination was moved out to the M6 is because national routes cannot terminate at an R road in the middle of a town. Similar precedent with N24 in Limerick, N69 in Limerick, N85 in Ennis etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

m17 wrote: »
    A view form the top of flyover at ballinphuil Corofin looking towards athenry the flyover in the background will open on the 5th of March

Does that mean the existing N63 will close on 5th March for the construction of the N63 flyover?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

cocoman wrote: »
    Does that mean the existing N63 will close on 5th March for the construction of the N63 flyover?

That pic was taken in Corofin the n63 is about 3 miles away,the n63 will not close as the have built a new road between the two new roundabouts which will open in 2 weeks time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

That pic was taken in Corofin the n63 is about 3 miles away,the n63 will not close as the have built a new road between the two new roundabouts which will open in 2 weeks time

So the existing N63 will be closing at the crossing with the new M17 in 2 weeks time? A few mins extra on my morning journey so but not too bad. Will this new road have priority over the existing Athnry road ?

Pics around Corofin and tuam part one pic1 roundabout at the start of the tuam bypass now open pic 2 weir road tuam pic 3 cloonkeen north pic4 bridge over the grange river pic5 mahangh flyover

• Advertisement

Pics around Corofin and tuam part two pic1,2,3 ballybanagher pic4 top of the mahangh flyover pic5 cloonkeen north

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

That view of Rathmorrissy is something else. Shame it's going to be a 3 level stack roundabout.

A partial or full cloverleaf interchange would have made more sense given the amount of cheap land around in that picture. I can only spot one house.

South -> West movements should have been free-flow at the very least.

What a difference between the two motorways pic1 m18 6 miles form gort pic2 m17 6 miles form tuam

The flyovers form rathmorissy to coole park along the m18 pic1 rathmorissy pic2 coldwood pic3 kilternan pic4 owenbristy pic5 coole park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

What a difference between the two motorways pic1 m18 6 miles form gort pic2 m17 6 miles form tuam

Based on your pics of the north part I always thought the south side was very far behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

The flyovers form rathmorissy to coole park along the m18 pic1 rathmorissy pic2 coldwood pic3 kilternan pic4 owenbristy pic5 coole park

The Kilteirnan one looks complete looking at it this evening. Railing all finished.

I drove form tuam to gort this morning I can't see this motorway opening all at once, they will open tuam to kilternan, and then kilternan to gort in 5 years time the way things are going on that section

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I drove form tuam to gort this morning I can't see this motorway opening all at once, they will open tuam to kilternan, and then kilternan to gort in 5 years time the way things are going on that section

Are there any major earthworks to be done on the M18 part of the scheme though? The road can done relatively quickly. It's the bridges that the major earthworks that take the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭busyatwork

Lagans section is a mess with water and there is problems between wills and lagans and money

busyatwork wrote: »
    Lagans section is a mess with water and there is problems between wills and lagans and money

Langans have loads of money but are not paying wills bros

• Registered Users Posts: 44 peter.teahan

There is also a Facebook photo page for this project but more photos on here. Maybe they should link?

--

Tuam 2 Gort Motorway photos Group

There is also a Facebook photo page for this project but more photos on here. Maybe they should link?

--

Tuam 2 Gort Motorway photos Group

Forget that Facebook stuff, this is the site where it's all happening

New road layout for annagh hill

New roundabout at annagh hill too small for HGVS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Extraordinary mistake to make given the number of roundabout re-builds we've had in this country the past ten years.

Last year they constructed several roundabouts in this area at estate entrances and in two cases they completely re-built them within months because HGVs were ploughing them up.

How does that happen? By how many times was the initial "saving" exceeded by the subsequent cost? :(

• Advertisement

Perhaps they expect the drivers to almost "jackknife" the artic's to turn!

Working on the bridge over the grange river last night 24/02/16

Cartymore residents vow to continue road closure protest

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It doesn't look much smaller than This one, which provides trucks access to the 8th biggest building in the world by volume

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

God love em, it's only three weeks and it's over the Easter holidays. I'm struggling to feel much sympathy I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

moyners wrote: »
    God love em, it's only three weeks and it's over the Easter holidays. I'm struggling to feel much sympathy I'm afraid.

Is that you Enda?

The townland of ballybanagher Corofin pic 1 20/06/15 pic2 20/02/16

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

ki wrote: »
    Is that you Enda?

Touché :)

Map of road diversion at cartymore

• Advertisement

It looks like this is more about the pub, shop and petrol station losing 3 weeks of passing trade than anything else

Given that the business in question has been the scene of multiple horrific crashes over the years with no action taken by the business owner to address these, I have zero sympathy.

Also, it's 3 weeks. The alternative was a 12 week stop and go system. Thankfully logic prevailed.

Let the business owner protest all he wants, we'll all be on the detour so won't have to see it. If he's got any brains, he'll use the 3 weeks to make his forecourt safer for users which will do more to help his business long-term than the damage a 3 week closure might do

Advertisement