Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Was it not Westtip who came up with the 'express bus' corrridor model for long and medium distance travel in/to/within the west coast corridor and with an intermodal interchange somewhere around Oranmore ( can't find the thread )

Twas indeed Sponge and I can't remember which thread it was on but it was a looong time ago. I agree about Oranmore but they ain't going to take the M17/18 that close to Galway (wrong decision in the views of many - but it ain't going to change), the point I made this morning was I just cannot understand (although clearly living in Ireland where there is no joined up planning thinking I am being naive), why the M6/M17/M18, Dublin Galway rail line and indeed the southern section of the WRC all come together within whats no more than a whisker of each other just west of Athenry but there is clearly no thought to take advantage of this proximity and create a transport interchange.

It's just crazy....but we are all used to it. Just look again at that map and see what I mean!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You should revisit that plan now Limerick is bypassed and Gort nearly so. Basically the theory takes the express bus station out near the motorway and near a railway , around Ballysimon somewhere would seem to be the sweet spot in Limerick. Shuttle buses run from there to the town itself.

WOT would probably put a bounty on you though :)

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    WOT would probably put a bounty on you though :)

I think they already have:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Should we be expecting a Tender winner for this project some time this week based on the reply received by 'Ilovegermany' a couple of weeks back..........??

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Should we be expecting a Tender winner for this project some time this week based on the reply received by 'Ilovegermany' a couple of weeks back..........??

Any news yet folks. This is the one I really want to see happening it will revolutionise long journies in the west and make a huge difference to many peoples lives from sligo to Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 crusheenman

Lads word on the street is the BAM construction are awarded this contract and work is going to be starting in early 2011, anyone else hear this...? looks like it will start off once the Gort - Crusheen is finishing off..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I havnt seen a public statement as of yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Lads word on the street is the BAM construction are awarded this contract and work is going to be starting in early 2011,

Bam are not renowned for their speed in delivering projects.

Lads word on the street is the BAM construction are awarded this contract and work is going to be starting in early 2011, anyone else hear this...? looks like it will start off once the Gort - Crusheen is finishing off..

Any odds it will be finished before the Athenry Tuam rail connection! I hope so - it will kill off the WRC for ever if it really does start end of 2011 and takes two years - glory be this will open up the west for business and make a huge difference to supply chain logistics, Shannon, movement of tourists up and down the West coast. This road will be the business - bring it on - Sligo Limerick in a shade over two hours!!!! yes please.

I'd prefer Roadbrige but thats my own opinion based on the pace and quality of road projects they have taken on over the last few years. BAM are doing ok on the Castleisland bypass of late and I gather that some lining has started on the mainline there now. Still no decision has been made yet officially to the public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

What projects have BAM worked on and how do their build quality (e.g. do they use armco or concrete barriers) and delivery timeframes stack up against others ?

anyone have any inkling on start date or more to the point project target completion date and is there going to be a phased opening of different sections, will they work from one end up or both ends down will the project be done in "bite size" pieces or from day one lets get the whole job done. Even in these dark days we are living through lets hope this project actually happens, this will really open the west for business. I think this could become the alternative route to Dublin for anything south of Castlebar, down and across may prove to be much more efficient in terms of both fuel and time than toiling down the N5. Bring it on!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

westtip wrote: »
    anyone have any inkling on start date or more to the point project target completion date and is there going to be a phased opening of different sections, will they work from one end up or both ends down will the project be done in "bite size" pieces or from day one lets get the whole job done. Even in these dark days we are living through lets hope this project actually happens, this will really open the west for business. I think this could become the alternative route to Dublin for anything south of Castlebar, down and across may prove to be much more efficient in terms of both fuel and time than toiling down the N5. Bring it on!!!!

Lets hope they do Gort -> M6 then M6 -> Tuam. This is a massive scheme alright, Galway to Limerick in no time, fantastic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Bards

antoobrien wrote: »
    What projects have BAM worked on and how do their build quality (e.g. do they use armco or concrete barriers) and delivery timeframes stack up against others ?

Carlow Bypass section of M9
    Waterford City Bypass encompassing Cable Stayed Bridge

@ westtip,

the scheme should commence construction early next year after the contracts are agreed during this month. Completion should be seen in 2.5-3 years max. I'd imagine the whole scheme has to open in one go although the Rathmorrissey-Gort M18 section is more vital it would be a real pain to go all the way back to Claregalway and travel up the N17. The regional road from Athenry-Tuam is a bad alternative. So it should open all in one go.

I agree with you that this project is absolutely vital for the west. The journey times will be instantly slashed by an hour for several journeys along the western corridor. I regularly travel from Limerick-Sligo in 3hr 10mins although it only took me 2hr 50 mins a few days ago using the Limerick Tunnell. The Gort-Tuam scheme should shorten that to 2hr 5min and even make a journey to Donegal in 3 hrs!! Unbelieveable is what I say. This is almost like a fantasy motorway only that it will be made real in under 3 years :D

Thats a good point on the N5. It is a poor national primary route from Charlestown to the East. Travelling down the N17 to Tuam and then motorway/dual carriageway standard road to Dublin is the best option. Any takers for a predicted AADT when the stretch opens?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

So we are all hoping for a Mid 2013 for opening.

I'll put a tenner on the Races 2013.

I remember the morning they were doing the Traffic Survey for this road, back in the Summer of 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

ki wrote: »
    So we are all hoping for a Mid 2013 for opening.

I'll put a tenner on the Races 2013.

I remember the morning they were doing the Traffic Survey for this road, back in the Summer of 2000.

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=SEP169035

Just came across the above.......i.e. notice of advance contract for the fencing of the route? Could this mean that they have decided not to proceed with the main contract for a few years???

tech2 wrote: »
    @ westtip,

I agree with you that this project is absolutely vital for the west. The journey times will be instantly slashed by an hour for several journeys along the western corridor. I regularly travel from Limerick-Sligo in 3hr 10mins although it only took me 2hr 50 mins a few days ago using the Limerick Tunnell. ?

I know unbelievable isn't it - after generations of misery lets hope we get this. just looked at AA http://www2.aaireland.ie/routes_beta/

141 miles Sligo - Limerick in 3 hours 20 according to AA. With DC motorway standard from Tuam and half decent road from about Knock airport even without the planned improvements on the N17 around Tubercurry - this will be doable in just over two hours at non peak time - 2 hours 20 minutes from Sligo to Limerick! An hour or less from Galway to Limerick. This motorway will transform the west of Ireland - West on Track - eat your heart out (if it happens that is!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭123easy

antoobrien wrote: »

NRA have banned armco central barrier in the DMRB. Any contractor will normally use the cheapest thing the conforms to the contract requirements which are not always the same.

Ascon (BAM in old money) used Concrete VCB on the N6 Athlone to Kinnegad and Concrete VCB down in Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Just heard the same, Start Jan/Feb Also

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Bards wrote: »
    Carlow Bypass section of M9
    Waterford City Bypass encompassing Cable Stayed Bridge

They also built the M7/M8 PPP, taking over that contract midway through and they are currently building the Castleisland Bypass.

They tend to deliver on schedule, but they don't seem to build as quickly as Roadbridge and Sisk, based on projects completed in the past three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Road-Hog wrote: »
    http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=SEP169035

Just came across the above.......i.e. notice of advance contract for the fencing of the route? Could this mean that they have decided not to proceed with the main contract for a few years???

The land would be "delivered" fenced off to the PPP contractor so this just indicates its all normal. Its also only a small part of the route (Rathmorrisey to somewhere north of Athenry)

Attached is the expected completion dates and other info for both PPP's: M11/N7 & M17/M18.

It's down as late 2013 for the Gort-Tuam scheme by the NRA

Just thinking about this project - isn't now the time to be saying there should be a modest bus interchange station at the junction of the M6 and M17/18 at Rathmorrisey (just west of Athenry), to allow north south express buses running on the Sligo Limerick access and Galway-Athlone-Dublin buses running on M6/4 east west access to interchange passengers - there are so many buses runninng on the east west access - passengers wouldn't have to wait long at any time to pick up a Galway or East bound bus. It doesn't need to be complicated, four bus bays with straight through access (ie not drive in and reverse out for speed of service) one channel for East bound Dublin buses, one for West bound Galway buses and the same for North and South bound buses. Its a very simple concept and could revolutionise bus travel in the west of Ireland: For Example Sligo - Rathmorrisey interchange on an express (jump off and jump on one of the frequent Galway bound buses coming in off the motorway). I reckon it would add between five and ten minutes max to an East-West bus journey time and would give the buses a chance to pick up considerable revenue and extra passengers

In addition - I am presuming the interchange will be free flow clover leaf to allow for movement in any direction - and for once would they consider this interchange as the best place for service station - or am I asking for too much - who knows this might all be built into the design......Just think how many jobs such an integrated bus and service station would bring to Athenry?

The bus interchange would maximise the use of the new roads for use as public transport arteries.....OMG I must put this post on the WRC thread and watch them have kittens....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Confirmed on Today FM just now - it is expected to start "just after Christmas".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

westtip wrote: »
    Just thinking about this project - <snip>

In addition - I am presuming the interchange will be free flow clover leaf to allow for movement in any direction - and for once would they consider this interchange as the best place for service station - or am I asking for too much - who knows this might all be built into the design......Just think how many jobs such an integrated bus and service station would bring to Athenry?

The bus interchange would maximise the use of the new roads for use as public transport arteries.....OMG I must put this post on the WRC thread and watch them have kittens....
    Your idea is good, but there's no easy way to make it happen.

Firstly, the junction is going to be a roundabout, not cloverleaf. That's been discussed at length elsewhere. Personally I don't agree with it, but I'm not in charge.

Second, whether it's a cloverleaf or a roundabout, you can't tack a bus station onto the side. It would impede traffic flow through the junction. The Motorway Service Area that was originally proposed for this junction was refused planning permission for that very reason (and rightly so).

Finally, I'm trying to figure out why a north-south bus route through the area would use the M17/18 and not go via Galway where they could interchange passengers with Galway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

darkman2 wrote: »
    Confirmed on Today FM just now - it is expected to start "just after Christmas".
    That's a euphemism for "2011" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

spacetweek wrote: »
    That's a euphemism for "2011" :)

I heard Peter Malone of the nra on Today fm this evening. He confirmed that date. He also said newlands cross also starting early 2011. He never mentioned the bog doh...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

spacetweek wrote: »

Finally, I'm trying to figure out why a north-south bus route through the area would use the M17/18 and not go via Galway where they could interchange passengers with Galway.

You can get a Limerick-Athlone bus via an unofficial interchange by stopping off at Oranmore. Athenry not far off - why not sure

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I would put it in Oranmore TBH or even Carnmore . Good use for the Airport once the PSO's dry up :cool:

Advertisement