Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Middle Man wrote: »
    "I wish I was on that N63, stone walls and the grasses green!" - well at least part of the way! :D

The sawdoctors better get rerecording in 2018

D Trent wrote: »
    When N17 is downgraded the N63 will have to continue on into Galway (Monaghans/Flemings junction)

You can't have a National secondary route terminating at a T junction onto a regional road

Thanks for that d Trent so the r336 will go form Eyre square to flemings junction the n63 will take over to loughgreoge what road will go to the west wing in tuam

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I would've thought the N63 would terminate at the junction with the M17 same as the N65 in Loughrea, N71 in Cork, N69 in Limerick etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

marno21 wrote: »
    I would've thought the N63 would terminate at the junction with the M17 same as the N65 in Loughrea, N71 in Cork, N69 in Limerick etc.
    M17's photo seems to indicate otherwise
    N65 in loughrea?
    Have a look at google maps and see that if used to terminate at junction with old N6 but continues on to motorway, which is the reason I believe N63 will continue on as far as junction at bothar na dTreabh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

You can't have a National secondary route terminating at a T junction onto a regional road

No? ;)

hLXU9r2.jpg

Until recently the signs at this location indicated you were terminating the N52, joining the regional road and then entering a new section of the N2!

(maybe the signs on the ground still say that?)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Actually...looking at the Google satellite it appears that the N52 does terminate at the R162 at two points.

ojkprba.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Actually...looking at the Google satellite it appears that the N52 does terminate at the R162 at two points.

ojkprba.jpg

Except.....
    It doesn't terminate does it.
    The N52 continues from Kells on to Ardee

N65 in loughrea?
    Have a look at google maps and see that if used to terminate at junction with old N6 but continues on to motorway, which is the reason I believe N63 will continue on as far as junction at bothar na dTreabh
    Here's the plan for annagh hill is has the n63 going to galway

The m17 outside tuam

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

N65 in loughrea?

The signage would have to indicate N63 going on to Claregalway until 2018 anyway

The N designation would've had to continue until it meets another N road, hence it terminating at the M6. They didn't continue the N65 along the path of the old N6 (R446) to Galway, which they would have to do with the N63 along the path of the old N17 to Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭guylikeme

marno21 wrote: »
    The signage would have to indicate N63 going on to Claregalway until 2018 anyway

The N designation would've had to continue until it meets another N road, hence it terminating at the M6. They didn't continue the N65 along the path of the old N6 (R446) to Galway, which they would have to do with the N63 along the path of the old N17 to Galway.

Most signs Longford-C.G say Galway anyway so this N63 extension seems like a good idea.

The new roundabout at annagh hill 07/03/16

New road signs going up around annagh hill

Rathmorissy junction so far

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

m17 wrote: »
    Pics at annagh hill 05/03/16 flyover will open on the 08/04/16

What does it say on the M17 roundabout directional signpost where the writing has been covered with paint? . I'm intrigued to know. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

I hear if Michael Martin gets to be Taoiseach, The M20 is to be going ahead from Patrickswell to the N40 Cork ring road

• Registered Users Posts: 18,160 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

paul2013 wrote: »
    I hear if Michael Martin gets to be Taoiseach, The M20 is to be going ahead from Patrickswell to the N40 Cork ring road

I'm sure.

paul2013 wrote: »
    What does it say on the M17 roundabout directional signpost where the writing has been covered with paint? . I'm intrigued to know. Thanks

Galway m6 Dublin m6 limerick m18

Recent flooding along the m18 south of kilternan

2nd bridge over the m17 motorway is now open at brockagh corofin 09/03/16

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Just outside Athenry on the M6 on the Galway side (think it's called Rathmorrissey) 3 bridges were installed back in November or so.

When they were doing this work they had a 80kph speed limit.

But now, 3 months later the speed limits are still there.......ok fair enough, they are still working on things, but it's not affecting any traffic on the actual M6.

Should the 80 kph speed limit still be there...........or did they just forget to take the signs down?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Should the 80 kph speed limit still be there...........or did they just forget to take the signs down?

Getting these temporary limits applied is a pain in the ass for the builders, so they just apply for the whole stretch for the whole duration as it is simpler.

There was a Garda presence and traffic actually did slow down for the few weeks that real works were happening before Christmas, but everyone ignores them now, and I haven't seen the guards there this year.

Getting these temporary limits applied is a pain in the ass for the builders, so they just apply for the whole stretch for the whole duration as it is simpler.

There was a Garda presence and traffic actually did slow down for the few weeks that real works were happening before Christmas, but everyone ignores them now , and I haven't seen the guards there this year.

Went through there twice everyday this week and found that there was 100% adherence. It shocked me to be honest, fully expected to see, as you say, people ignoring the lower limit

As for how long, there's still the tie in and ramps etc to be done. I don't recall if the exact date has been published but I would say your looking at 6 months more

Went through there twice everyday this week and found that there was 100% adherence. It shocked me to be honest, fully expected to see, as you say, people ignoring the lower limit

What time? I go through at about 08:00 and 18:00 every day. There is slow traffic, but there always was, even before the roadworks - loads of commuting bumblers join or leave at J17 and J16.

Bumbler in a Micra joins at J16 doing 80, and keeps that up all the way to the end of the road, so bumblers B, C and D, also joining at J16, veer straight out into the overtaking lane at 100, and then stay there right into town.

Sigh.

There was a Garda presence and traffic actually did slow down for the few weeks that real works were happening before Christmas, but everyone ignores them now, and I haven't seen the guards there this year.

I always slow down to 80pkh at this stretch. But do I even need to ? Is the 80kph valid anymore or wha ?

I always slow down to 80pkh at this stretch. But do I even need to ? Is the 80kph valid anymore or wha ?

It's still legally valid, just widely ignored

What time? I go through at about 08:00 and 18:00 every day. There is slow traffic, but there always was, even before the roadworks - loads of commuting bumblers join or leave at J17 and J16.

Bumbler in a Micra joins at J16 doing 80, and keeps that up all the way to the end of the road, so bumblers B, C and D, also joining at J16, veer straight out into the overtaking lane at 100, and then stay there right into town.

Sigh.

Or the bird in the black focus that joins at j17........I think ..........and sits really really close to the steering wheel and does about 80 kph the whole time.

Or the bird in the black focus that joins at j17........I think ..........and sits really really close to the steering wheel and does about 80 kph the whole time.

I'm actually OK with people driving slowly on the Motorway - there is no minimum limit.

My complaint is the eejits who barge from the on-ramp clear across to the overtaking lane to pass the bumblers, so that traffic cruising along at motorway speed has to brake and concertina into a tailback while these knobs try to get up to overtaking speed.

Ballybanagher corofin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

m17 wrote: »
    Ballybanagher corofin

Some noise there I'd say, dut dut dut dut dut dut!!

Advertisement