Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭kippy

JCX BXC wrote: »
    One could also argue that this infrastructure should never have been built, and the money instead poured into the more logical M20, but you should thank your local politicians for doing their work and getting the M17/M18 on track first.

The nation as a whole benefits from either or both of these schemes. Both should have been put in place long ago and the fact that the M20 still sits on the shelf is another indictment of the quality of our politicians in general yet I am sure when it is eventually built there will be plenty politicians queuing up to cut the ribbon on it.
    Am glad to see any improvements in the countries infrastructure and I've a skeptical enough view of politicians so perhaps my views are a bit biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

The 5th flyover over the m18 is open at owenbristy 16/11/16 the ardrahan side of the flyoverIMAG2119_zpsuq7xn9fe.jpgtop of flyoverIMAG2120_zpsvagbtvyh.jpglooking towards rathmorissyIMAG2121_zpsnsxena9t.jpglooking towards gortIMAG2013_zpsgbpn6esn.jpgkinvarra side of flyoverIMAG2123_zpssh8wqqmp.jpgthat is now the 16th flyover that is now open on the entire project not bad going in 11 month's,there's 7 more to open m18 6,tuam bypass 1

Speculation on whether tuam bypass will open early as stand-alone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭afatbollix

m17 wrote: »

What ever about the by pass.. What about the Parking machine!!! Had it enough of the Tuam people and just killed itself! Was it just full of 5 cents or maybe it was fed up of the Irish weather and wants to move to Spain. :pac:

The m17 at ballybanagher corofin 17/04/152016-11-17_01-19-51_zpsc9wmlihy.jpg17/11/16IMAG2082_zpstmm2zg4d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭serfboard

Co Council Director of Service for Roads and Transportation Liam Gavin told a meeting of Tuam Municipal District Council this week that it was obvious that great progress was being made on the project but as it was a Public Private Partnership (PPP) governed by legal contracts he couldn’t speculate as to whether the Tuam bypass might be opened ahead of schedule.
    The important bit is bolded and is as I suspected - they are under a legal contract to deliver the whole lot, I think that is what they will want to do. Otherwise, they'll have to amend the contract and that may not be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd imagine the construction consortium will want some ppp money coming in if they open the tuam bypass, and the state won't want to pay.

The m18 at kilternan looking towards rathmorissy 18/11/16IMAG2127_zps7chp9fsq.jpglooking towards gortIMAG2128_zpsi1vaxgum.jpgthe roundabout on the gort side of the flyover will open on the 30/11/16

Noise barrier now in place on the m17 at mahangh bridge 19/11/16IMAG2132_zpsjszsujxp.jpgIMAG2129_zpsenj6vyko.jpg

The m17 at cloonkeen south 20/11/152016-11-19_10-46-49_zpsels22mra.jpg20/11/16IMAG2130_zpsyshzvdey.jpg

• Advertisement

The m17 1km form annagh hill looking towards tuam 20/11/16IMAG2136_zpsou3f3vjt.jpglooking towards rathmorissyIMAG2137_zpse7o97wgr.jpgfoot bridge will be in place where the old n63 was by the end of DecemberIMAG2138_zpsd9oaoomb.jpgannagh hill tuam sideIMAG2139_zpskutanbqy.jpgtop of the flyover looking towards tuamIMAG2141_zpsjhklc9iw.jpglooking towards rathmorissyIMAG2142_zpssgyjirmx.jpg

The m17 at cloondarone 3kms form tuam 19/02/152016-11-19_10-55-29_zpswkz4ha5y.jpg19/11/162016-11-19_10-57-30_zpsjebedgti.jpg

The townland of kilcloghans on the tuam bypass looking towards milltownIMAG2157_zpsg50uxpgu.jpglooking towards the kilmore roundaboutIMAG2156_zpsrahmer4v.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The townland of kilcloghans on the tuam bypass looking towards milltownIMAG2157_zpsg50uxpgu.jpglooking towards the kilmore roundaboutIMAG2156_zpsrahmer4v.jpg
    Surely be an early opening by the look of these pics. The Tuam BP is only 4km long, if there's tarmac down in parts and there's no major structures to be completed it will surely be ready in 3-4 months.

marno21 wrote: »
    Surely be an early opening by the look of these pics. The Tuam BP is only 4km long, if there's tarmac down in parts and there's no major structures to be completed it will surely be ready in 3-4 months.

I was going to say Easter 17, it's 4.5kms with 2 flyovers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

I was going to say Easter 17, it's 4.5kms with 2 flyovers

A lot of work to be done at Ballygaddy Road junction

The tuam bypass 21/11/16 weir roadIMAG2155_zpsnbakb4v2.jpgtop of the flyoverIMAG2153_zps3bkzduih.jpgriver nanneyIMAG2145_zpswpspcuh8.jpgtop of bridgeIMAG2152_zpsks462wyw.jpgrailway bridgeIMAG2146_zpsccjunlaw.jpgtop of bridgeIMAG2151_zpsfjtw2nuk.jpgposts in place for the noise barrierIMAG2147_zpsiaqajxjo.jpgballygaddy road junctionIMAG2148_zpstlcuyvrq.jpg

RATHMORRISY 24/11/152016-11-21_06-33-40_zpsr3yscbsm.jpg21/11/16IMAG1925_zpsd5zowspg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Are we expecting a staggered opening for any of this scheme?

Also M17, what's your feel for the scheme build. I've always thought that some of the corner radii are a bit tight on the Ennis to Gort section of the M18 for a motorway.

Are we expecting a staggered opening for any of this scheme?

Also M17, what's your feel for the scheme build. I've always thought that some of the corner radii are a bit tight on the Ennis to Gort section of the M18 for a motorway.
    There still saying there will be no phased openings but the way it's looking there will be three openings tuam bypass,tuam to rathmorissy,rathmorrisy to gort also the m17 isn't as tight as the m18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭WildWater

There still saying there will be no phased openings but the way it's looking there will be three openings tuam bypass,tuam to rathmorissy,rathmorrisy to gort also the m17 isn't as tight as the m18

I'm not sure who 'they' are but if it's anything to do with politicians there will be three openings. Why have one picture in the papers when you can have three!

BTW M17 thanks a million for all the updates.

WildWater wrote: »
    I'm not sure who 'they' are but if it's anything to do with politicians there will be three openings. Why have one picture in the papers when you can have three!

BTW M17 thanks a million for all the updates.

Just keeping this great forum alive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭serfboard

WildWater wrote: »
    You could get great political bang for the buck out of three openings:

• Tuam-based councillors for the Bypass ("A great day for the people of Tuam - removing X vehicles from the town and giving the town back to the community")
    • Claregalway-based councillors (and "super-councillor" Noel Grealish) for the Tuam->Rathmorrisy section ("A great day for the people of Claregalway - removing Y vehicles from the town and giving the town back to the community")
    • And Clarinbridge-based councillors for Rathmorrisy->Gort ("A great day for the people of Clarinbridge - removing Z vehicles from the town and giving the town back to the community")
    In reality though, I think there'll only be two - while the Tuam bypass might open early (depending on whether the government will stump up money earlier than it intended to), I think the rest will open in one go. TII and the Minister (Shane Ross, God help us) won't want to keep opening bits of it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

serfboard wrote: »

• Tuam-based councillors for the Bypass ("A great day for the people of Tuam - removing X vehicles from the town and giving the town back to the community")
    • Claregalway-based councillors (and "super-councillor" Noel Grealish) for the Tuam->Rathmorrisy section ("A great day for the people of Claregalway - removing Y vehicles from the town and giving the town back to the community")
    • And Clarinbridge-based councillors for Rathmorrisy->Gort ("A great day for the people of Clarinbridge - removing Z vehicles from the town and giving the town back to the community")
    In reality though, I think there'll only be two - while the Tuam bypass might open early (depending on whether the government will stump up money earlier than it intended to), I think the rest will open in one go. TII and the Minister (Shane Ross, God help us) won't want to keep opening bits of it.
    Logistically, I believe the whole motorway section will open in one go. There's just too much messing around to do to open half the motorway part, especially with signage etc.

There is ZERO reason why the Tuam BP can't be opened early. It's connected to the existing road network at 2 at grade roundabouts. It would be very easy (and indeed very beneficial) to open the Tuam BP early, especially considering how advanced the works on the scheme are.

serfboard wrote: »

The reason I was saying there be three openings the tuam bypass will be ready end of April,the m17 is miles ahead of the m18,l was down at rathmorissy last weekend the making great progress on the roundabout,they have a lot of work do on the m17/m18 flyover and the end of the m18 and forget Shane ross we'll open it ourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

How come the M17 is so far ahead of the M18? Easier terrain?

How come the M17 is so far ahead of the M18? Easier terrain?

Last year's flooding on the m18 has set langans back month's2016-11-22_07-12-42_zpspvbuc9qn.jpg22016-11-22_07-06-26_zps6kc0b5ez.jpg

The m17 at kileelaun 1km form tuam looking towards rathmorissy 23/11/16IMAG2143_zpsvyn7zpuw.jpglooking towards tuamIMAG2144_zpseofpgcos.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

Question for you all. The road to Clarinbridge will still be used after the M18 decides to be opened as can you imagine the carnage on Junction 19 on the M6 , It will be like going through Claregalway once again with serious delays. The only time I'll see a benefit to the M6 is when Galway city is bypassed!

As for the Rathmorrissey Junction 18 on the M6/M18 and Junction 1 on the M17 do the expect traffic from Tuam to drive down Athenry to go to Galway and Gort traffic to drive to Athenry to go to Galway? Lets just say that traffic will not be doing this because that's why there is such a poor uptake of the Western Rail Corridor part 1 . This is coming from a person who used to live on the N18 outside Gort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Last year's flooding on the m18 has set langans back month's

Were there any design changes made to take into account the flooding?

Advertisement