Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭serfboard

The present arrangement makes the Tuam bypass more of a negotiation, especially as the lads on the M18 will want a cut of any early payments...
    <speculation> I'd guess that the contractors will be paid by the Consortium, and therefore won't be entitled to any cut from the Tuam Bypass opening early (if it does). If the Tuam BP opens early, then the government pays the consortium, but how and when the consortium pay contractors is their own business ... </speculation>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

m17 wrote: »
    The m18 at kilternan looking towards rathmorissy 18/11/16IMAG2127_zps7chp9fsq.jpglooking towards gortIMAG2128_zpsi1vaxgum.jpgthe roundabout on the gort side of the flyover will open on the 30/11/16
    Is this part due to open?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

JillyQ wrote: »
    Is this part due to open?
    This will open Nov 17,here's what's happening over the next few weeks,the roundabout at kiltiernan on the gort side will open,the 6th flyover over the m18 at caranavoodaun will open on the 21/12/16, and the new foot bridge over the m17 at annagh hill will open 22/12/16

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Fair enough. I think the issue here though is that its a PPP which no part of the M9 was. Direct Route will maintain the road for (I think) 30 years after opening so will want to open it all together.

In the same vein, Newlands & M11 gap were one contract but opened seperately.

If people find out the Tuam bypass is finished but not opened there'll be an uproar and the media will get involved. Then it will open.

The M17 is trickier as you'll have to cone a lot of stuff off and muck around in Rathmorrisey... as well as a lot of signage for Sligo - Limerick traffic but it could be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I'm probably missing something, but if the Tuam Bypass was opened before the motorway would it not cause complete mayhem at Claregalway? (towards Galway)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

The m17 in full part one 29/11/16 castlelambert looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2170_zps8zy6ciot.jpglooking towards tuamIMAG2171_zpsg3pmbmyl.jpgcarthymore looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2173_zps8b7khm2e.jpgcarthymore looking towards tuamIMAG2172_zpsj0h3ik9h.jpgSheeaunpark looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2175_zpswyfcqowj.jpgSheeaunpark looking towards tuamIMAG2174_zpsgfzikgil.jpgkilseagh looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2176_zpsmrsfrsge.jpgkilseagh looking towards tuamIMAG2177_zpsqfljjwpm.jpglaraghmore looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2178_zpsyry1x6of.jpglaraghmore looking towards tuamIMAG2179_zpspomr87em.jpgannagh hill looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2046_zps45gksfp9.jpgannagh hill looking towards tuamIMAG2045_zps4fkhifjh.jpgbrockagh looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2044_zpsshtzwklb.jpgbrockagh looking towards tuamIMAG2043_zpsgicrewdc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'm probably missing something, but if the Tuam Bypass was opened before the motorway would it not cause complete mayhem at Claregalway? (towards Galway)

Why would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭serfboard

I don't think too many people will want to drive the N17 just becuase the Tuam bypass is open, if they are already going some other route. So, no, I don't think it will generate any extra traffic at Claregalway.

The big massive bottleneck will happen when the whole scheme is open. This will be at the Coolagh roundabout at Doughiska, where the traffic from three motorways will come to a complete stop.

I'm guessing that, in time, people will do things like hopping out at the Oranmore junction and

a) going north to come in the Monivea road, or
    b) going south to come in on the old dual carriageway (R446),

both of which will result in gridlock further in as well. The Dublin road from Merlin Park inwards is already choked up.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Why would it?

Because you no longer have Tuam acting as a traffic calming measure of sorts to arrest the flow of traffic heading down the N17 towards Claregalway.

Personally, I don't think it will have much of an effect because it won't make any difference to traffic coming from Tuam or the N63

Objections lodged against plaza -style tuam drive thru

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Every road scheme thread always has a band of users proclaiming a section will open earlier than the rest. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

Could anyone tell me if there is plans to put traffic lights on the roundabout <M17 N17 Tuam Bypass ejunction>

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

Objections lodged against plaza -style tuam drive thru

There has been objections to every petrol station at that section

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

f2 wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me if there is plans to put traffic lights on the roundabout <M17 N17 Tuam Bypass ejunction>

Why would they put traffic lights there

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

marno21 wrote: »
    Because you no longer have Tuam acting as a traffic calming measure of sorts to arrest the flow of traffic heading down the N17 towards Claregalway.

Personally, I don't think it will have much of an effect because it won't make any difference to traffic coming from Tuam or the N63

Where would the extra traffic come from though?

Think it would have been better to have focused on the Gort-Athenry part of the motorway first and to get that open.

Oh well, looks to all be done soon anyway!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Where would the extra traffic come from though?

Think it would have been better to have focused on the Gort-Athenry part of the motorway first and to get that open.

Oh well, looks to all be done soon anyway!
    The volume of traffic would arrive at Claregalway quicker because it's able to flow quicker around Tuam. It just means that there would be a longer queue at Claregalway, but the time you saved going around Tuam you would spend queuing at Claregalway.

When the M6, M17, and M18 are all flowing onto the M6 at Rathmorrissey it will create pandamonium at the roundabout at Doughiska, which won't be solved until the opening of the N6 Galway Ring Road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

I haven't been active here in a while, but saw all of M17's continued input to this thread. Many thanks for all the updates - judging by the progress, we could well see the entire road open by the end of 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭corm500

Quick question. I travel from Dublin to Achill quite a bit. At present I Take the N4/N5 route to Castlebar then on to Newport. When this project is finished do you think it would be quicker to go M6/M17 Dublin to Castlebar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

corm500 wrote: »
    Quick question. I travel from Dublin to Achill quite a bit. At present I Take the N4/N5 route to Castlebar then on to Newport. When this project is finished do you think it would be quicker to go M6/M17 Dublin to Castlebar?

Dublin Castlebar via Tuam about 3 hours ?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

Does anyone know if the M17 /N17 will be continuing onto Sligo as a Dual Carriageway or Motorway? and will N4 be eventually be tied up to M4 in Kinnegad in Co. Westmeath? As for M2 and M3 who will be funding these roads through Northern Ireland? or is the M2 and M3 stopped until a United Ireland hppens?

• Advertisement

paul2013 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the M17 /N17 will be continuing onto Sligo as a Dual Carriageway or Motorway? and will N4 be eventually be tied up to M4 in Kinnegad in Co. Westmeath? As for M2 and M3 who will be funding these roads through Northern Ireland? or is the M2 and M3 stopped until a United Ireland hppens?

The N17 is planned to continue to Sligo as a dual carraigeway, same standard as the Tuam bypass. Two 3.5m lanes + 0.5m hard strip on either side seperated by a steel wire barrier.

It will be done in several sections:

N17 Tuam-Claremorris
    N17 Knock-Tobercurry
    N17 Tobercurry BP
    N17 Tobercurry-Collooney

N17 dualling schemes above are all suspended at the minute.

The other roads can be discussed in a different thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭corm500

red bull wrote: »
    Dublin Castlebar via Tuam about 3 hours ?

Not much of a difference then.

The m17 4kms form tuam 02/12/16IMAG2192_zpstbhy14eb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Are there any rough estimates on the journey time from north Tuam to Galway city yet using the new road? How many kms is it from:
    start of the new road north of Tuam->Athenry->Galway city?
    The distance is longer than the N17 of course, but with a solid 100kph (or 120), then you should be able to get in a bit quicker at times of low traffic.

At rush hour, I can imagine the Coolagh roundabout will be pure madness. Could be smart to park+cycle from Carnmore cross or some such place into your workplace if you're commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boosabum

I know the scheme says it 53Km plus 4 km for the tuam bypass but the road signs at the end of the M18 at gort have 41km markers. What does this signify ?
    It is going to be 53KM from the gort interchange to the ballygaddy interchange or am i totally incorrect.

boosabum wrote: »
    I know the scheme says it 53Km plus 4 km for the tuam bypass but the road signs at the end of the M18 at gort have 41km markers. What does this signify ?
    It is going to be 53KM from the gort interchange to the ballygaddy interchange or am i totally incorrect.
    That 41km makers that's the length of the current m18,they have built 45.5kms of the m18,when fully opened it will be 73kms as far as rathmorissy,the 53 kms will be form the gort interchange j16 m18 to the kilmore roundabout j3 m17 and the tuam bypass is 4.5kms

• Registered Users Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭irishgeo

corm500 wrote: »

i doubt it. your still going via claremorris to castlebar which isnt a great road.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boosabum

That 41km makers that the length of the current m18,they have built 45.5kms of the m18,when fully opened it will be 73kms as far as rathmorissy,the 53 kms will be form the gort interchange j16 m18 to the kilmore roundabout j3 m17 and the tuam bypass is 4.5kms

Thanks for the confirmation M17

The townland of gortroa 22/04/162016-12-03_01-44-02_zpsyo8xk7rr.jpg03/12/16IMAG2212_zpsgqnlw5iz.jpg

• Advertisement

RATHMORRISY 03/12/16 the m17/m18 flyoverIMAG2243_zpsoefu7eq8.jpgend of the m18IMAG2254_zpsgdbi7svv.jpgstart of the m17IMAG2255_zps5cacyxaw.jpglooking towards dublinIMAG2253_zpshsmt7pzi.jpglooking towards galwayIMAG2252_zpsbtuuz2qf.jpg

Advertisement