Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

The arches look like bat wings. (I guess)

Yeah, looks quite cool

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

glineli wrote: »
    Yeah, looks quite cool
    It looks way cooler than that pedestrian bridge in Tuam. Why could it not be a concrete bridge i wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,841 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It looks way cooler than that pedestrian bridge in Tuam. Why could it not be a concrete bridge i wonder?

It's a proper eyesore alright

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

m17 wrote: »
    and let's not forget Chris who started this forum back in 2007,with out him we wouldn't be having this discussion

Thanks! Kinda cool to have a near 10 year old thread to my name with nigh on a million views. Had no idea when I started it that it'd be a decade on and still the the road isn't finished!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Thanks! Kinda cool to have a near 10 year old thread to my name with nigh on a million views. Had no idea when I started it that it'd be a decade on and still the the road isn't finished!!!

Imagine how you'd feel if you had started the M20 thread 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

marno21 wrote: »
    Imagine how you'd feel if you had started the M20 thread 😂

By the time the M20 is built the M20 thread will surely be a record breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

This thread was tidied up some amount by previous mods! m17 is a credit to the forum practically daily updates

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Ha, sounds like half the major projects here!! N20, N24, N21, N22 etc all nice ideas and plans but precious little happened in that time, we are paying for that shortsightedness now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: can we leave this thread for progress on M17/M18 only please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

The m17 at ballybanagher corofin 13/04/152016-12-04_11-31-43_zpshjiv06pb.jpg13/12/16IMAG2082_zpsgcmn3ncw.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

direct route have new photos up on their website. Some great shots. That bat bridge is class. The whole project is coming together nicely. Its a pity they didn't construct a subway at Tuam instead of that nasty footbridge.

IMAG2023_zpsnrtmymnf.jpg
    biffoman wrote: »
    direct route have new photos up on their website. Some great shots. That bat bridge is class. The whole project is coming together nicely. Its a pity they didn't construct a subway at Tuam instead of that nasty footbridge.
    the pics are much better on this site,at least there not taken form a drone,that bat bridge looks better on this site,that bridge was done on the 28/10/16 and there only showing it now,that's sum update

is there going to be a footbridge at annagh hill,

is there going to be a footbridge at annagh hill,
    Yes there is,it's going where the old n63 was and should be open mid January 17IMAG2138_zpsd9oaoomb.jpg

so I guess the footbridge follows the line of the old road. Wow that's a costly link for a handful of houses in the middle of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

so I guess the footbridge follows the line of the old road. Wow that's a costly link for a handful of houses in the middle of nowhere.

Not the middle of nowhere and surely more important than a much more costly bridge for bats

I think its in the middle of nowhere .there's a handful of houses in that area that's getting a leap over the motorway at a high cost; did direct route say, right lets put a footbridge here its badly needed. Huge population in the area. They need this link.at any cost. And as for the bats, nice one.

I think its in the middle of nowhere .there's a handful of houses in that area that's getting a leap over the motorway at a high cost; did direct route say, right lets put a footbridge here its badly needed. Huge population in the area. They need this link.at any cost. And as for the bats, nice one.

It's for the school kids who are coming from the lackagh side,it's a extra 2 miles if there was no bridge2016-12-15_08-59-43_zps4plnpdpj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

m17 wrote: »
    It's for the school kids who are coming from the lackagh side,it's a extra 2 miles if there was no bridge2016-12-15_08-59-43_zps4plnpdpj.jpg

Modern kids aren't allowed walk anywhere! They'll drive the extra couple of miles...

It will be very under utilised.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

What is a bat bridge?

Bats need something to bounce their echo location off to navigate, also provide some protection from predators. Remove all the hedges crossing a motorway cutting and you isolate populations on one side from the other. A bummer if roosts on one side and feeding areas on the other.

A bat bridge doesn't have to be fancy: simple ropes from treeline on one side to the other are used in some sites
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=bat+bridge&source=lnms&tbm=isch

I don't see obvious treeline going up to each side of this bridge from the pics. So possibly this is just a nice local accommodation bridge with design inspired by bats?

But bonus-marks to the project if it will have bat-friendly features/approaches/roosting sites built in to it.

If it is a green bridge with hedges planted across it: awesome :)

Edit: Just saw M17's reply. Sounds great. Look forward to seeing how it turns out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

Bats need something to bounce their echo location off to navigate, also provide some protection from predators. Remove all the hedges crossing a motorway cutting and you isolate populations on one side from the other. A bummer if roosts on one side and feeding areas on the other.

A bat bridge doesn't have to be fancy: simple ropes from treeline on one side to the other are used in some sites
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=bat+bridge&source=lnms&tbm=isch

I don't see obvious treeline going up to each side of this bridge from the pics. So possibly this is just a nice local accommodation bridge with design inspired by bats?

But bonus-marks to the project if it will have bat-friendly features/approaches/roosting sites built in to it.

If it is a green bridge with hedges planted across it: awesome :)

Edit: Just saw M17's reply. Sounds great. Look forward to seeing how it turns out.

They sure went all out on the structures anyway, because...why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

What were the NRA projected traffic levels again for the M6 when this is completed?

I think they're underestimating the traffic that will hit the M6 when this opens. Should be interesting to see! :)

Irish_rat wrote: »
    What were the NRA projected traffic levels again for the M6 when this is completed?

I think they're underestimating the traffic that will hit the M6 when this opens. Should be interesting to see! :)

2016-12-17_10-35-04_zps1c7qflmq.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Bollard moved at Coldwood last night making things a little tight - just open the bridge please.

Seven Worlds will Collide

The m17 Sheeaunpark to annagh hill 17/12/16 Sheeaunpark looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2309_zpsibdzhdir.jpglooking towards tuamIMAG2310_zpstpkwmhdq.jpgkilseagh looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2308_zpspuutfwka.jpglooking towards tuamIMAG2307_zpshzvqtkzs.jpglaraghmore looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2306_zpsnzvrdyvb.jpglooking towards tuamIMAG2305_zpscinxiepb.jpgannagh hill looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2303_zpsuoo0ssxe.jpglooking towards tuamIMAG2304_zpsa7zuu6em.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭ratracer

Bollard moved at Coldwood last night making things a little tight - just open the bridge please.

I can't understand why that flyover hasn't opened yet

The m18 gort to rathmorissy part one 18/12/16 gort looking towards LimerickIMAG2034_zpsv5i5muus.jpggort looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2341_zpsm3ir3n9q.jpgcoole park looking towards gortIMAG2031_zpsreezdkwm.jpgCoole park looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2030_zpsy4aibsq6.jpgthe flyoverIMAG2340_zpsvngpktgq.jpgthe bat bridgeIMAG2023_zps8lbu4cxe.jpgraheen/kiltartan looking towards gortIMAG2338_zpslj3dmc83.jpgraheen/kiltartan looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2337_zpspoeq1qwj.jpgcoolfin looking towards gortIMAG2336_zps8ianibeb.jpgcoolfin looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2335_zpsywidjdjq.jpgballymaquiff looking towards gortIMAG2333_zpsnc5ezzvs.jpgballymaquiff looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2334_zpswjiybyun.jpgowenbristy looking towards gortIMAG2332_zpsz3pyksuo.jpgowenbristy looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2331_zpsazdaxd4g.jpgparkatleva looking towards gortIMAG2330_zpso1hkhaxy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

It wouldn't be a Sunday if M17 wasn't out and about with his camera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭paddydone1

I see they have another couple of sections of the pedestrian bridge at Tuam bypass looks very steep to walk up. The older generation might struggle a bit with it.

• Advertisement

The m18 gort to rathmorissy part two 18/12/16 parkatleva looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2329_zpsd68urhbz.jpgkilteirnan looking towards gortIMAG2328_zpszkgm2iws.jpgkilternan looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2327_zpssxd8ug6e.jpgcaranavoodaun looking towards gortIMAG2325_zps0qep7zwk.jpgcaranavoodaun looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2324_zpshvtc7btg.jpgturloughtrassa looking towards gortIMAG2322_zps8wortkva.jpgturloughtrassa looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2321_zpslt70tjkq.jpgrinn looking towards gortIMAG2320_zps5v5zzmor.jpgrinn looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2319_zps6io2vk50.jpgparknacappa looking towards gortIMAG2316_zpsrrtoenx0.jpgparknacappa looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2315_zpsmaivqix7.jpgcoldwood looking towards gortIMAG2314_zpsejplttyl.jpgcoldwood looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2313_zpsgpgmlj8g.jpgthe flyover at gortroeIMAG2212_zpsgqnlw5iz.jpgthe end of the m18 at rathmorissyIMAG2255_zpso6nqssny.jpg

Advertisement