Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

paul2013 wrote: »
    Question for you all:

After Junction 5 on the N18 in Cratloe, What does diamond road sign mean?

Its for the emergency diversions, a certain route will be given a shape, eg Diamond, Square, Dot, etc. Its to help people avoid delays by using designated routes even if the drivers are not familiar with the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

The new ballygaddy road and flyover 09/01/17 tuam sideIMAG2482_zpsmubt6jvm.jpgtuam sideIMAG2481_zpshavy8rx6.jpgtuam sideIMAG2483_zpsjcpzpvai.jpgtop of the flyoverIMAG2484_zpshyb0npqq.jpgballinrobe sideIMAG2440_zpsvtiuervz.jpgthe flyoverIMAG2439_zps5ly81m9k.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

Czhornet wrote: »
    Its for the emergency diversions, a certain route will be given a shape, eg Diamond, Square, Dot, etc. Its to help people avoid delays by using designated routes even if the drivers are not familiar with the area.

I was under the impression they are to show the alternative to a tolled route, ie diverting you back to re-designated old road.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Pereplyotchik

The motorway offers Tuam in particular, a fantastic opportunity to recreate itself.
    It is now in a strategic location with a bypass. It will be 10-15mins from the M6 / M18 junction and with the N17 being upgraded gradually, it could be a great transport hub for companies wishing to access Galway, M18, N17, N6 without getting snarled in Galway's appalling Traffic. Land, Rent, Commercial Property and Housing are all much cheaper in Tuam.

Tuam could also get some more shopping outlets into the Town as a result of the M'way, a small shopping centre could create 100+ jobs.

The companies like Valeo & JFC can only benefit from the improved transport links.

Interesting times, I hope there is some sort of plan for the development of the Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boosabum

Industrial units in Tuam (out the claregalway road at trinity carpets) were available for sweet fa a few years ago during the bust.
    These will now easily accessible off the motorway structure and have the ability to service a huge area.
    This would proved a hub for small to medium enterprises and possibly depots and warehouses for goods transportation

• Advertisement

M17 junction 1 rathmorissy here there be 8 lanes right to left 1 m6 dublin,2 m6 galway ,3 and 4 limerick,5 and 6 tuam,7 m6 form dublin,8 m6 form galwayIMAG1910_zpsnbl5cbjt.jpgm18 junction 18 rathmorissy here there will be 6lanes right to left 1m6 galway and the roundabout 2 and 3 tuam,4 and 5 Limerick 6 form the roundabout and m6 dublin2017-01-09_03-01-52_zpsdfe4uhek.jpg

The m17 rathmorissy to tuam part one 09/01/17 the start of the m17 at rathmorissyIMAG2382_zpswghjeka0.jpgcastlelambert looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2492_zpsyzxfyslz.jpgcastlelambert looking towards tuamIMAG2494_zps7nlxyyzi.jpgcartymore looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2495_zpssguevtkf.jpgcartymore looking towards tuamIMAG2496_zpsvhymnp2i.jpgSheeaunpark looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2475_zps6wba1e18.jpgSheeaunpark looking towards tuamIMAG2474_zpsmiyvoi9v.jpgkilseagh looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2473_zpsuzfqbrqw.jpgkilseagh looking towards tuamIMAG2472_zpsf1jvcumz.jpglaraghmore looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2497_zps8nixqvaf.jpglaraghmore looking towards tuamIMAG2498_zpsaqiuttgc.jpgannagh hill looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2425_zps4tzkpukf.jpgannagh hill looking towards tuamIMAG2424_zpsmmdxfizk.jpgbrockagh looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2044_zpspdcvkg2j.jpgbrockagh looking towards tuamIMAG2043_zpsyjmquake.jpg

M17 part two 09/01/17 Bauilphuil looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2042_zpsri3qxvmk.jpgBauilphuil looking towards tuamIMAG2041_zpscunividz.jpg8kms form tuam 2016-12-23_01-07-23_zps7zf9ibmn.jpg6kms form tuamIMAG2455_zpsmsvnpo2h.jpg5kms form tuam the cloonkeen accommodation flyoverIMAG2457_zpstx8fudtj.jpgthe noise barrierIMAG2458_zpszg656kky.jpg4kms form tuamIMAG2463_zpspgyvsz27.jpg3kms form tuamIMAG2470_zpsc38ztkj8.jpgcloondarone flyoverIMAG2471_zpsqriw0uy3.jpgcloondarone looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2476_zpst3asrxkh.jpgcloondarone looking towards tuamIMAG2477_zps7s2edy07.jpgkileelaun looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2478_zpsqqqpwxao.jpg kileelaun looking towards tuamIMAG2479_zpsxfmkby4u.jpgend of the m 17 the kilmore roundaboutIMAG2437_zps0eydua89.jpg

jvan wrote: »
    I was under the impression they are to show the alternative to a tolled route, ie diverting you back to re-designated old road.
    Those would be the brown "tourist" route signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭irishgeo

8 lanes, the last minute lane changes could be a disaster with that many lanes, its bad enough with idiots going from the overtaking lane on the m4 trying to get to the inside lane on the m6 at the m4/m6 exit westbound.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

irishgeo wrote: »
    8 lanes, the last minute lane changes could be a disaster with that many lanes, its bad enough with idiots going from the overtaking lane on the m4 trying to get to the inside lane on the m6 at the m4/m6 exit westbound.

I'm pretty sure that the normal two lane main line and a two lane slip road each side. Even the M50 doesn't have 8 lanes.

I'm pretty sure that the normal two lane main line and a two lane slip road each side. Even the M50 doesn't have 8 lanes.
    Yes, two lanes each way and the slip roads are two lane as well.
    The problem with the westbound exit slip is that as well as the last minute switch over to the left is the large number of drivers who only move over one lane and end up in the overtaking lane of the M6 and then stay there, totally oblivious the the fact that there is a lane to their left.:rolleyes:

The m17 at Bauilphuil corofin 10/01/162017-01-10_11-07-51_zpsfsdzd1k7.jpg10/01/172017-01-10_11-09-22_zps5yzyf6uv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,529 ✭✭✭✭L1011

jvan wrote: »

They aren't. They exist on untolled segments also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭serfboard

The motorway offers Tuam in particular, a fantastic opportunity to recreate itself.
    It is now in a strategic location with a bypass. It will be 10-15mins from the M6 / M18 junction and with the N17 being upgraded gradually, it could be a great transport hub for companies wishing to access Galway, M18, N17, N6 without getting snarled in Galway's appalling Traffic. Land, Rent, Commercial Property and Housing are all much cheaper in Tuam.

... companies like Valeo & JFC can only benefit from the improved transport links.
    Indeed. I'd guess that (and space reasons) is why a company like SteelTech Sheds moved from their sh1tty location at Carrowbrowne on the Headford Road, to the old Coca-Cola distribution centre in Tuam. They will now be less than 300 metres from the M17, making it far easier for nationwide distribution, and bringing 100 jobs to Tuam in the process with a plan for 100 more.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

The only reason I was asking about the diamond road sign at Junction 4 on the N18 is I have travelled all of Ireland including the disputed part. I have never seen this road sign and it doesn't seem to show this road sign anywhere else.

I know a lot of people will disagree me with this. But I think the N18 from Shannon Airport at Junction 9 to Junction 1 Rosbrien could be easily be upgraded to Motorway if they upgraded the road where the homes are practically built on the dual carriageway to give them a new road at the back of their homes and cover off their existing main entrance to their homes on the existing N18. Surely it's an accident hazard waiting to happen

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

paul2013 wrote: »
    The only reason I was asking about the diamond road sign at Junction 4 on the N18 is I have travelled all of Ireland including the disputed part. I have never seen this road sign and it doesn't seem to show this road sign anywhere else.

I know a lot of people will disagree me with this. But I think the N18 from Shannon Airport at Junction 9 to Junction 1 Rosbrien could be easily be upgraded to Motorway if they upgraded the road where the homes are practically built on the dual carriageway to give them a new road at the back of their homes and cover off their existing main entrance to their homes on the existing N18. Surely it's an accident hazard waiting to happen

Not sure what any of this has to do with the M17/M18 project, but there are plenty of other residences and side entances along both sides of the road between J4 and J7 other than the ones at Setrights. It would not be as easy as you're making out.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

Not sure what any of this has to do with the M17/M18 project, but there are plenty of other residences and side entances along both sides of the road between J4 and J7 other than the ones at Setrights. It would not be as easy as you're making out.

It's a similar unnecessary gap in the motorway to the one made at Athlone. The cost of upgrading it will have to be surpassed by the benefit, and I suppose that that benefit will only come with increasing AADT numbers.

Another example of doing it on the cheap, and will have to be upgraded eventually.

The m17 at Bauilphuil corofinhttps://youtu.be/LF7bzEKj2vo

The tuam bypass at kilcloghans 10/01/172017-01-10_06-27-51_zpsbrxq6q1q.jpghere's what it will look like when it opensIMAG3489_zpsng2eeec0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

m17 wrote: »
    The tuam bypass at kilcloghans 10/01/172017-01-10_06-27-51_zpsbrxq6q1q.jpghere's what it will look like when it opensIMAG3489_zpsng2eeec0.jpg

Where's that pic from? N4 Dromod to Rooskey?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Yep, N4 Dromod-Roosky. Only 2+2 at the minute is that, Castleisland BP, Tralee BP & North of M3 terminus so it'll be good to see some 2+2 opening after the plans to open ~400km of it during the current decade faltered ever so slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭ratracer

marno21 wrote: »
    Yep, N4 Dromod-Roosky. Only 2+2 at the minute is that, Castleisland BP, Tralee BP & North of M3 terminus so it'll be good to see some 2+2 opening after the plans to open ~400km of it during the current decade faltered ever so slightly.

That cheese wire should be banned, but that's for another thread!!

You're spot on its always nice to see what finished project what it will look like

The tuam bypass at the ballygaddy road 24/05/152017-01-11_10-57-18_zps2g34ggek.jpg10/01/172017-01-11_10-58-55_zps6w3ywbeo.jpg

IMAG2138_zpsbmfgw0zz.jpgThe pedestrian foot bridge at annagh hill will open 28/02/17

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

marno21 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a little off-topic, but does the width between the bridge columns allow for future upgrading to motorway?

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a little off-topic, but does the width between the bridge columns allow for future upgrading to motorway?
    Looking at the photo above, I would say no as there is insufficient space between the edge of the road and the columns for a hard shoulder.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I think it's generally agreed that a Galway-Sligo motorway isn't needed. 2+2 is your only man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

spacetweek wrote: »
    I think it's generally agreed that a Galway-Sligo motorway isn't needed. 2+2 is your only man.

No doubt, but it'd be nice to see future-proofing become the norm.

Advertisement