Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Hardly more than 12 months until it's all open anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

The m17 4kms form tuam 17/06/15IMAG0579_zpsa0mcb66u.jpg17/01/17IMAG2467_zpslblxk12f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Great amount of photos coming lately m17.

Did someone get a new camera for Christmas?

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Great amount of photos coming lately m17.

Did someone get a new camera for Christmas?

The have been coming over the last 2 years over 3,000 pics, still using the same old camera

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

m17 wrote: »
    The have been coming over the last 2 years over 3,000 pics, still using the same old camera

Yes, and thank you it's been fascinating seeing things roll along.

Thought the frequency had increased in the last few weeks/i felt like making a joke.

No insult intended, please keep doing what you're doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Pereplyotchik

Does anyone else think that the footbridge over the bypass is going to become an iconic symbol of Tuam the same way the Fountain is in Galway City and the Diving board in Salthill?

RATHMORRISY 18/09/15IMAG0188_zpsmts9vyjt.jpg18/11/16IMAG2578_zpsmwh2rz9o.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Is Rathmorrisy full freeflow?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Is Rathmorrisy full freeflow?

All left turning and straight though traffic movements will be free flow - however, all right turning movements will be via the large roundabout.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Middle Man wrote: »
    All left turning and straight though traffic movements will be free flow - however, all right turning movements will be via the large roundabout.

I thought that, but could the roundabout be designed to be freeflow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Looks to be quite a junction! Would be hard to imagine how different the landscape looked there in the early 2000's.

It's possible if you treat it as a single lane ringroad with two separate lanes between the merges and the next exit, traffic then merges to the right or demerges to the left on the twin lane sections.

Would be a bit of a challenge for drivers to understand the workings of though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The main movements at Rathmorrissey will be tidal: M17 (S) -> M6 (W) in the mornings and M6 (E) -> M18 (S) in the evenings.

The M18 (N) - > M6 (E) movement will be a sort of a replacement for the N66 and shouldn't be too busy and the M6 (E) -> M17 (N) shouldn't be too busy either.

It think it could be done with an additional level - new back to back right turn flyovers on top with the existing roundabout structures modified to facilitate the remaining right turn movements (all the circulatory entry/egress ramps would be eliminated and two sections of the roundabout itself would become defunct) - for example...

1) Heading from Galway to Limerick, you would follow the left free-flow slip as if you're heading to Tuam, but veering off via a new slip taking you anti-clockwise over the M6 and under the M18 before being diverted along another new section of road that would link you up with the Dublin to Limerick free-flow slip. Likewise would be done for traffic heading from Dublin towards Tuam.

2) Going from Tuam to Galway, you'd follow the Dublin bound slip off the M17 (may require some modifications to vertical alignment) before veering off onto a flyover slip that would take you up over the entire interchange before linking in with the Limerick to Galway free-flow slip. It would be likewise for traffic heading from Limerick to Dublin.

It's complicated, but I hope you guys follow what I'm saying...

marno21 wrote: »
    The main movements at Rathmorrissey will be tidal: M17 (S) -> M6 (W) in the mornings and M6 (E) -> M18 (S) in the evenings.

The M18 (N) - > M6 (E) movement will be a sort of a replacement for the N66 and shouldn't be too busy and the M6 (E) -> M17 (N) shouldn't be too busy either.

I honestly don't think this interchange will require an upgrade for quite some time - perhaps traffic signals installed on the roundabout eventually, but nothing more.

Just having crossover merges between the entries & exits of the roundabout should be enough to make it "pseudo-freeflow" at almost zero cost if implemented before the signs are made and lines painted.

Just having crossover merges between the entries & exits of the roundabout should be enough to make it "pseudo-freeflow" at almost zero cost if implemented before the signs are made and lines painted.
    You could perhaps achieve such with just one lane for the circulatory carriageway itself with auxiliary lanes between the entry and next exit points.

You could perhaps achieve such with just one lane for the circulatory carriageway itself with auxiliary lanes between the entry and next exit points.
    That is exactly what I am saying, a crossover merge between the entry and exit lanes.

The last bridge on the m18 and the slip road for the m18 18/01/17IMAG2400_zpsdusyppmi.jpgslip roadIMAG2401_zpsbdbarxls.jpgslip roadIMAG2402_zpsycqkugod.jpgslip road form the left form the roundabout if your coming galway on the right if your coming from dublinIMAG2403_zpsr92m0lz5.jpgslip roadIMAG2404_zps9kbes3bf.jpgjunction 18 m18IMAG2405_zpscgixl10l.jpgm18IMAG2408_zpscmafqfkj.jpg

That is what I was thinking. Those entering the roundabout section will not be exiting untill the third turning - that is they will be going 270 degrees round so plenty of time to transition. I hope that is the design they follow - as it is only paint.

I do not think it will be as busy as some of the junctions on the M50.

• Advertisement

The m17 cartymore to annagh hill 19/01/17 carthymore looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2551_zpspnqopymc.jpgcarthymore looking towards tuamIMAG2550_zpswqqtf4jz.jpgSheeaunpark looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2552_zpsyfq4gx8l.jpgSheeaunpark looking towards tuamIMAG2553_zps2ns35xnk.jpgkilseagh looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2560_zpsziozqild.jpgkilseagh looking towards tuam2017-01-19_04-15-10_zpsrfb6wwkd.jpglaraghmore looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2558_zps1uvk8prk.jpglaraghmore looking towards tuamIMAG2559_zpsute8iimr.jpgannagh hill looking towards rathmorissyIMAG2554_zpsffzbzlu4.jpgannagh hill looking towards tuamIMAG2555_zpsueoqj8gr.jpgtuam 13kmsIMAG2556_zpsikswo6mj.jpg

The m17 at ballybanagher corofin 20/01/15 looking towards tuam2017-01-20_01-30-36_zpsyunpvfwd.jpgballybanagher corofin looking towards rathmorissy 20/01/152017-01-20_01-36-28_zps6xkxqzrh.jpgballybanagher corofin 20/01/17 looking towards rathmorissy2017-01-20_01-35-54_zpscbljwfbl.jpgballybanagher corofin 20/01/17 looking towards tuam2017-01-20_01-34-26_zpsc4ixpvng.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

That is what I was thinking. Those entering the roundabout section will not be exiting untill the third turning - that is they will be going 270 degrees round so plenty of time to transition. I hope that is the design they follow - as it is only paint.

I do not think it will be as busy as some of the junctions on the M50.
    The roundabout will also be useful in the rare event there is a collision on the M17/M18 flyover or on the M6 underneath the roundabout. There's been a few crashes on the M50 at a junction where the mainline was closed and traffic was diverted up, through the roundabout and back onto the mainline. The roundabout may also be used for U-turns.

The accommodation underpass at parknacappaul 6kms south of rathmorrisy 20/01/17IMAG2567_zps9lcf2gtf.jpgthe m18 at parknacappual langans have now layed 4kms of the jersey barrierIMAG2568_zpsbcnuaccq.jpg

Deedsie wrote: »
    @M17

Just curious, did you take gps coordinates for those comparison shots? Are they taken at the exact same location +/- 10 metres?

They are great to see.

The have been taken at the exact same spot hard to believe that there 2 year's apart

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GDSGR8

What's up with the signs, they look shee-ite?

GDSGR8 wrote: »
    What's up with the signs, they look shee-ite?
    They're supposed to be covered with paint that is easy to remove when the roads open.
    The signs should be masked as the roads are not in use yet, it looks like the paint was made too thin and got washed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

They're supposed to be covered with paint that is easy to remove when the roads open.
    The signs should be masked as the roads are not in use yet, it looks like the paint was made too thin and got washed off.

It may have gotten a bit of help

red bull wrote: »
    It may have gotten a bit of help
    Looking closely at the photos, you're probably correct!

• Advertisement

In fairness, I don't think there's any doubt. The locals would definitely know it's not open, the slip roads are likely fenced off and anyone going along the N17 to Tuam/Sligo wouldn't have taken the N63 turn off at Loughgeorge.

Surprised they even have signs up already. It's surely just adding another year of wear and tear having them painted over like that.

Advertisement