Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    What a daft idea and waste of money!

So parents on the Lackagh side will drive kids to the end of the old N63 and have them walk across the footbridge to school? That will be well used :rolleyes:

@M17: what is the significance of a Pedestrian Footbridge and the half way point along the m17 - I'm lost on that one?

I don't think so - there was a main road crossing there and to close that road entirely to everything would be wrong - the pedestrian bridge is there to minimise community severance caused by the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Middle Man wrote: »
    I don't think so - there was a main road crossing there and to close that road entirely to everything would be wrong - the pedestrian bridge is there to minimise community severance caused by the motorway.

Don't agree.
    Its not like the old main road crossing is being replaced with nothing and they are left dangling with no access to the NS, local houses etc.
    There is perfect detour in place to access the NS, local houses etc.
    There's no Pedestrian Footbridge over the N84 before Kilcoona where the old road alignment comes to an end. Instead, those locals use the new layout.
    This is complete nonsense on the old N63.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Don't agree.
    Its not like the old main road crossing is being replaced with nothing and they are left dangling with no access to the NS, local houses etc.
    There's no Pedestrian Footbridge over the N84 before Kilcoona where the old road alignment comes to an end. Instead, those locals use the new layout.

I'm not local to the area, so I'll have to leave this one to the jury...

Don't agree.
    The detour is about three kilometers and includes several roundabouts and from what I remember a steep hill to climb - not very pedestrian friendly.

It keeps the village somewhat intact.

The detour is about three kilometers and includes several roundabouts and from what I remember a steep hill to climb - not very pedestrian friendly.

It keeps the village somewhat intact.

What village? There is no village!
    Pedestrian-frendly for what pedestrians? Rarely seen people walking the old N63.

• Advertisement

Deedsie wrote: »
    You should ask them to take it down if you feel so strongly about it.

Hilarious! :rolleyes:
    I do feel strongly about money being wasted though - as I'm sure you do!

Deedsie wrote: »
    Feel very strong about wasted money. This isn't wasted money though, the tiny fraction of money spent on pedestrian infrastructure needs to be increased. Far healthier for these children to not have to be driven to and from school from exercise and self sufficiency point of view.

I'm all for necessary pedestrian infrastructure. This isn't that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

So its decorative then!
    In fairness, what has the half way point on the M17 got to do with having a Pedestrian Footbridge?
    Is there another Pedestrian Footbridge on the half way point on the M18? Don't think so.

The m18 has the bat bridgeIMAG2023_zpsnrtmymnf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

Benbecul97 wrote:
    I'm all for necessary pedestrian infrastructure. This isn't that.

Your opinion. Not much you can do about it now.As the saying goes " build a bridge and get over it!"

m17 wrote: »
    The m18 has the bat bridgeIMAG2023_zpsnrtmymnf.jpg

Looking after a protected species - fair enough!
    Providing them with one route to their destination - not two!

• Advertisement

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    Your opinion. Not much you can do about it now.As the saying goes " build a bridge and get over it!"

A detective :rolleyes: and a comedian!!:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Looking after a protected species - fair enough!
    Providing them with one route to their destination - not two!

Mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Seen light boards on the M6 junction works flagging a planned closure of the M6 but I didn't catch the dates/times . Anyone here see it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

flazio wrote: »
    Seen light boards on the M6 junction works flagging a planned closure of the M6 but I didn't catch the dates/times . Anyone here see it?

Info re closure here.

The 9th flyover over the m18 will open at rahee/kilkelly on the 22/03/17 (that's the road that takes you to lebane)2017-02-28_11-34-24_zpsuo5ox7xl.jpglangans have three more to open parknacappa,ballymaquiff,Coole park

Rathmorissy 30/11/152017-02-28_04-00-05_zpsmn5e4cdm.jpg28/02/172017-02-28_04-02-20_zpsy45zpmuf.jpg

Ballygaddy road flyover is now open 28/02/17IMAG2641_zpspu2zc1zo.jpg that's the 20th flyover that's now open on the entire project

The m17 at ballybanagher corofin 02/03/152017-03-02_09-35-11_zpsmofxvarh.jpg26/02/172017-03-02_09-37-53_zpssasrancu.jpg

RATHMORISSY 16/12/16IMAG2454_zpsl04d6kkw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Ballygaddy road flyover is now open 28/02/17
    It's not quite fully open - as your picture shows there are still traffic lights on it. I'm wondering if this might be due to the fact that the lights on the flyover aren't connected yet.

• Advertisement

There is an article in the Connacht Tribune about road and Lane closures this month on the M6 to facilitate gantry and sinage erection.

There is an article in the Connacht Tribune about road and Lane closures this month on the M6 to facilitate gantry and sinage erection.

That news is 10 days old at this stage forget the media this is the only site that keeps you updated on progress ( page 364 post 5460)

The m17 at Sheeaunpark at 7am looking towards rathmorrisy 03/03/17IMAG2660_zpsvvpw0fu8.jpgSheeaunpark looking towards tuamIMAG2659_zpssui1slok.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Baldilocks

M17, thanks for all the photos.
    from this thread I have read that the M17 part of the scheme is well ahead of schedule, but the Sheeaunpark looks to be a good bit behind the rest of the M17, do you know the reason for this?
    Can't wait for this road to open, driving Cork to Westport regularly enough and this will take a nice chunk out of the journey!

Secondly, will you be moving south to keep us abreast of the M20 when it happens???:)

Baldilocks wrote: »
    M17, thanks for all the photos.
    from this thread I have read that the M17 part of the scheme is well ahead of schedule, but the Sheeaunpark looks to be a good bit behind the rest of the M17, do you know the reason for this?
    Can't wait for this road to open, driving Cork to Westport regularly enough and this will take a nice chunk out of the journey!

Secondly, will you be moving south to keep us abreast of the M20 when it happens???:)

That section at Sheeaunpark is 1.3kms sisk couldn't blast the whole rock because the house's are to close the have started the drainage work and it will be may before the tarmac go down also I'm moving to charlveville later next year so I can start keeping you updated on the m20 hope you have enjoyed the pics so far yours m17

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

I'm moving to charlveville later next year so I can start keeping you updated on the m20 hope you have enjoyed the pics so far yours m17

Will you be changing your name to M20? :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Will you be changing your name to M20? :D :pac:

By the time that starts he will be in a zimmer frame....:D:D

The 10th flyover over the m18 will open at parknacappul on the 27/03/17IMAG2359_zpsvmuendbp.jpgthey will be 2 left to open ballymaquiff and Coole park

The m18 at coldwood 03/03/17 top of flyoverIMAG2662_zpst4drns23.jpglooking towards rathmorrisyZOE_0001_zpsgfsecpjd.jpglooking towards gort2017-03-03_03-06-43_zpsnuenimmw.jpg

• Advertisement

The m17 at Bauilphuil corofin starting the frist blast 09/06/15 2017-03-04_11-04-26_zpsmbh77vof.jpg27/02/172017-03-04_11-05-57_zps0dd15ozl.jpg

Advertisement